Rumour: Sony goes batshit insane over the PS4

with pre-owned games being restricted

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Rumour: Sony goes batshit insane over the PS4

#1  Postby dalv8409 » Mar 29, 2012 8:43 pm

It is no secret that the video game industry piss and moan about pre-owned games being sold either via the high street or ebay or whatever even if for many people pre-owned are the only option if they can't get a certain game brand new any more but apparently the rumour is starting with the next generation consoles the industry as a whole wants to put an end to the sub industry of people buying pre-owned games.

Now it is rumored that Sony will be the first in doing this with the PS4 so it might be possible that Microsoft could follow suit with the XBox 720 and Nintendo may also do it as well. For all we know it may also happen with PC and Mac games as well.

Have PlayStation 4 Details Emerged?
Rumors of backwards compatibility and used-games hit the net.

Today, Kotaku posted a story containing alleged details on Sony's next home console, the PlayStation 4. Kotaku claims that the details of the story "come from a reliable source who is not authorized to talk publically about next-gen hardware but has shared correct information with [the publication] before." According to this source, the next PlayStation is codenamed Orbis and will launch in the 2013 holiday season.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1221819p1.html

Sony has really been pissing me off this year, first my Vaio laptop stopped working (I found out I'm not the only one it happened to with that model) and with this rumour if it's true that is. I hope those mother fuckers lose billions more and go out of business. Okay rant over.
Last edited by dalv8409 on Mar 29, 2012 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disagree with an opinion just say so but don't be a dick about it.
dalv8409

Male

Wales (we)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Rumour: Sony goes batshit insane over the PS4

#2  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 29, 2012 8:56 pm

Another example of a company that thinks it has the right to dictate what people do with products they've bought. I think any restrictions of this type should be made illegal before they even get off the ground.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#3  Postby HughMcB » Mar 29, 2012 9:09 pm

:this:
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#4  Postby quixotecoyote » Mar 29, 2012 9:15 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:Another example of a company that thinks it has the right to dictate what people do with products they've bought. I think any restrictions of this type should be made illegal before they even get off the ground.

Tsk. People have to get over the concept of 'bought.' You don't actually own everything, you simply purchase a temporary license to use it.

Makes it all better, yes?
quixotecoyote

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 29, 2012 9:25 pm

Yeah, maybe car manufacturers can try and pull that one too. Okay, I'm selling my temporary licence to use it, now fuck off. Not you btw, Sony.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#6  Postby quixotecoyote » Mar 29, 2012 9:27 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:Yeah, maybe car manufacturers can try and pull that one too. Okay, I'm selling my temporary licence to use it, now fuck off. Not you btw, Sony.

Sorry, that's against the terms of your license.

:tongue:
quixotecoyote

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 29, 2012 9:33 pm

:doh:

On a serious note, a lot of people use these trade-in deals to be able to afford new games. It wouldn't surprise me if a move like this would hurt their sales.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Animavore » Mar 29, 2012 10:27 pm

Could be bollox. What I want know more than anything is if next gen consoles will use next gen trackball joypads?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#9  Postby dalv8409 » Mar 29, 2012 10:35 pm

Here is another article on this and by the looks of it if it is indeed true then Microsoft may be planning the same thing for the Xbox 720 as well.

PlayStation 4 to be called Orbis
Sony's next games console, which has previously been dubbed "PlayStation 4" for obvious reasons, is going to be called "Orbis" - according to sources familiar to the matter. The name, which may be its internal codename and could change before release, is a latin word, which means circle or ring.

The same sources have also told games website Kotaku that the next generation console will launch in Q4 2013, just in time for Christmas that year.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/playstation-4- ... 00844.html

Has it ever occurred to the video games industries to come up with alternatives deals with pre-owned games? What if someone wants a certain game but can't get it anymore? Would that mean that every single game will be available for digital download or would the video game industry won't give a fuck about the very people who keep their industry alive?
Disagree with an opinion just say so but don't be a dick about it.
dalv8409

Male

Wales (we)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Jumbo » Mar 30, 2012 2:20 am

On the pc Steam already restricts this.

If you buy a preowned game that uses Steam then you had better hope the prior owner has uninstalled and deregistered it from their account otherwise you just have a shiny coaster instead of a game on your dvd. When there are disputes about key Steam will resolve it if you can produce a receipt. However they will offer no help whatsoever for anything if that receipt is from a company that sells significant numbers of 2nd hand games. Similarly if its bought on eBay you will get no help resolving such issues.
The Feynman Problem-Solving Algorithm

1. Write down the problem.
2. Think very hard.
3. Write down the answer.
Jumbo

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby gleniedee » Mar 30, 2012 3:43 am

I'm With Stupid wrote:Another example of a company that thinks it has the right to dictate what people do with products they've bought. I think any restrictions of this type should be made illegal before they even get off the ground.

Absolutely! Perhaps start with Microsoft ?

Didn't Samsung have a massive bunfight with Apple over ipad/iphone? (Samsung won)
gleniedee

Name: glen dee
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#12  Postby aban57 » Mar 30, 2012 10:42 am

Microsoft already announced they planned to put an equivalent system on their future Xbox.

Here's my concerns about this :
- When you buy a game, you just "borrow" a license of the game. This is done so that after you buy a game, do don't look at the code and steal it. But the disc itself is yours. If you want to sell a book or a dvd, you can. There is no reason to have it differently when it's a game, especially when a game costs 3/4 times the cost of a dvd or a book.
- They tend to forget that most of the times, people send back their old games in order to buy new ones. If they can't do that, sells will drop dramatically.
- What happens when you change of console generation ? Are you supposed to get your old games that become "vintage" after 5 years ? How often do you play old games ?
Of course, this problem will not exist with the next generation of consoles, since PS4 will read blue-rays. But noone can tell it won't happen again in the future
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#13  Postby DoctorE » Mar 30, 2012 10:56 am

Well if that happens.. Consoles will die;
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

#14  Postby mattthomas » Mar 30, 2012 10:58 am

I can honestly say if they did this I wouldn't buy the next console, there'd be no point because 95% of my games are pre-owned.
mattthomas

Print view this post

#15  Postby Calilasseia » Jun 05, 2012 2:33 am

Is anyone really surprised at Sony trying to pull shit like this, given their track record? Such as ...

[1] Putting together so-called "digital rights management" software on some music CDs, that, when you inserted the CDs into a PC, rewrote part of the Windows operating system kernel using a rootkit toolbox, and left thousands of PCs vulnerable to malware attacks ...

BBC Article on this

Wired article on this

They also shat all over World of Warcraft while they did this.

Read all about the WoW incident

Then, the Italian police launched a criminal investigation into Sony's rootkit crock of shit.

Read all about this fun and games

Eventually, Microsoft listed the Sony DRM as malware

Of course, we all know the REAL reason for so-called "digital rights management" shite such as this, as revealed in this handy article, explaining how Sony's plans involve turning you, the sucker consumer, into a limitless cash cow to be b/milked at leisure.

More on Sony's corporate rapacity here

Then, it got serious. Because when Sony went into total corporate fucktard mode, namely "it's not our fault, we're a multi-billion dollar corporation and we can do what the fuck we want, suck on it pleb", they apparently didn't realise that people would play these CDs on computers at work in their lunchtimes. Consequently, other corporate networks were fucked up by the rootkit malware. Including some military networks.

Happy, happy, happy, joy, joy, joy

Oh by the way, you're going to love this. Sony not only loaded their music CDs with malware in the name of "copyright protection", malware which ultimately left some US military networks vulnerable to hacking attacks, but when the code was analysed, it turned out they'd taken some open source code, embedded it in their software, and violated the terms of the Creative Commons licence attached thereto. A case of "do as I say, not as I do" on an epic scale.

[2] Employing people to write fake movie reviews for Sony BMG movies, and insert them into newspapers all over the USA, a little scam that led to Sony in the USA being fined $1.5 million.

[3] Bribing radio DJs to play Sony music titles preferentially and push them up the charts ... which led to a $10 million fine.

[4] Sony also tried to bully Apple into handing over the iPod DRM system to them free and gratis, instead of paying for a proper licence and royalties (don't do as I do, do as I say, much?).

With a track record like this, it's a wonder anyone with functioning brain cells buys Sony gear any more, because the company sucks donkey balls big time. it's run by wank-break MBAs with pinstripe DNA, who think they have a right to treat the consumer as a biological ATM machine with infinite cash flow. I wouldn't touch Sony hardware if you paid me on the basis of this track record, and after reading the above instances of malfeasance, neither should you.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby SafeAsMilk » Jun 05, 2012 2:50 am

You can bet your sweet ass I'm not buying this system if they're going to pull shit like this.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Macroinvertebrate » Jun 05, 2012 3:04 am

+1.
It's so cold in the D.
Macroinvertebrate

Name: Gawd
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Nicko » Jun 05, 2012 3:24 am

@ Cali:

I find your comments hurtful in the extreme. Corporations are people too, you know. :naughty:
"Democracy is asset insurance for the rich. Stop skimping on the payments."

-- Mark Blyth
Nicko

Name: Nick Williams
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#19  Postby paceetrate » Jun 05, 2012 7:08 am

When a game can go out of print in only a few years and may never be released again, not allowing pre-owned games is fucking suicidal. Half the people who love console games like Final Fantasy, Earthbound, the Mana series, Donkey Kong, Metal Gear, Zelda, even Mario, would never have played these games, never fallen in love with them, never bought their sequels, and never championed their creators, if they hadn't been able to get these games pre-owned, or through shadier means. I was born at a time when I could get most of those games new and grow up with them, but not every gamer is lucky enough to be born in the right time and place and economical situation.

Not for the first time, Sony and Microsoft both just put bullets through their own feet. Cross your fingers and hope Iwata isn't so near-sighted for Nintendo, he already borked up once by making the 3DS region-locked.
paceetrate

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Matt8819 » Jun 05, 2012 7:24 am

Has this been confirmed or is it still a rumour?
Matt8819
RS Donator

Name: Matt
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Video Games