Simcity

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Simcity

#21  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Mar 09, 2013 8:14 am

People who have bought and activated Simcity by March 18th get a free game from EA.

http://kotaku.com/5989630/ea-will-give- ... Socialflow
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 09, 2013 8:28 am

Sloppy damage control. A refund would have been better.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Rome Existed » Mar 09, 2013 9:38 am

I wonder which game or games will be available?
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#24  Postby LucidFlight » Mar 09, 2013 1:37 pm

How about a copy of Real Racing 3 for your iOS or Android device?
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#25  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 09, 2013 2:25 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
mattthomas wrote:This is going to have to go down in history as one of the most failed launches of all time.

Does it matter?

To people who play video games and buy them at launches? Yes, it does matter. But I'm sure everyone appreciates having someone who doesn't care about the things that they care about telling them what matters and what doesn't.

Just a video game after all.

I never liked Simcity to much American oriented. All about building roads which in cities we dont do anymore.

Yes, because only America builds roads in cities. When I was in Amsterdam, there were no roads anywhere, at all.

OISDH (Only In Scot Dutchy's Head)
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#26  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 09, 2013 2:28 pm

Rome Existed wrote:I wonder which game or games will be available?

Sim City 4 would be nice, so I could have a game that actually works and doesn't require you to be online constantly.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 10, 2013 5:04 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:Yes, because only America builds roads in cities. When I was in Amsterdam, there were no roads anywhere, at all.
"

Streets, squares and pedestrian only areas. Very limited vehicle access.
Quite different to what you build in Sim City.

What would happen if you made a traffic free city or a very limited access city?

Just try it. Your city dies. The conception of a traffic free anything is not in the logic of the game.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 10, 2013 5:10 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:Yes, because only America builds roads in cities. When I was in Amsterdam, there were no roads anywhere, at all.
"

What would happen if you made a traffic free city or a very limited access city?

Just try it. Your city dies. The conception of a traffic free anything is not in the logic of the game.

If you'd actually played it instead of just complaining about it, you'd know that your city could do quite well with public transportation. There are no requirements for the size of your city. But being aware of that would require actually learning something about the game, and would make it difficult to do the "I hate it because it's American" broken record refrain that we all love so much.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#29  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 10, 2013 5:16 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
"

If you'd actually played it instead of just complaining about it, you'd know that your city could do quite well with public transportation. There are no requirements for the size of your city. But being aware of that would require actually learning something about the game, and would make it difficult to do the "I hate it because it's American" broken record refrain that we all love so much.

I have not played with the latest version but the prior versions could not handle the situation. Public transport is also the American version. Americans have a completely different view of how a city is and operates. I am not saying I hate it because it is American. I am saying I dont enjoy it because the logic is American which when coming to Traffic Engineering and City Planning I dont like.

I was in Traffic Engineering for over twenty year. We worked with real simulation programmes.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Matt8819 » Mar 10, 2013 7:01 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
"

I have not played with the latest version but the prior versions could not handle the situation. Public transport is also the American version. Americans have a completely different view of how a city is and operates. I am not saying I hate it because it is American. I am saying I dont enjoy it because the logic is American which when coming to Traffic Engineering and City Planning I dont like.

I was in Traffic Engineering for over twenty year. We worked with real simulation programmes.

So it's not that you don't like it because it's American, you don't like it because it's designed with American influences? This isn't meant to be a real simulation program, is meant to be a game, and is designed by an American team, the influences are kind of unavoidable.

Sent from my phone, somehow.
Matt8819
RS Donator

Name: Matt
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 11, 2013 11:24 am

I dont like the American influence and logic.

Why cant they make a European version? Maybe then Americans might understand what proper city development is.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Matt8819 » Mar 11, 2013 11:28 am

Scot Dutchy wrote:I dont like the American influence and logic.

Why cant they make a European version? Maybe then Americans might understand what proper city development is.

Matt8819
RS Donator

Name: Matt
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#33  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 11, 2013 3:29 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
"

Right from the very first game, you could successfully use trains/trolleys instead of roads. I often built my cities with them because, even though they were much more expensive, they were cleaner and solved traffic problems. By Simcity 2000 you had bus stations among other methods of public transportation, and that game came out in 1993. Clearly, the game has been able to handle public transportation for a very long time. And obviously, the planning of how the transportation is laid out is up to the player.

So, what is different about the American view of public transportation that is represented in Simcity?
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#34  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 11, 2013 3:57 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:I dont like the American influence and logic.

:roll: How about you learn about the game you're criticizing, that way we don't have to read pretentious, idiotic shit like the above?
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#35  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 11, 2013 4:16 pm

So all your cities are beautifully designed? :lol:

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 11, 2013 4:32 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:So all your cities are beautifully designed? :lol:

Actually, you are the one claiming all your cities are beautifully designed. Based on nothing, but of course nothing you say is ever based on anything.

Care to answer my question?
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 11, 2013 4:35 pm

Where did I claim that?

I just mean European approach to city planning is light years ahead of America's.

We are forced to think and plan as we dont have the space. You lot just let things sprawl.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#38  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 11, 2013 4:39 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:Where did I claim that?

Let's see...

I just mean European approach to city planning is light years ahead of America's.

Oh hey, look, there it is! Thanks for saving me the trouble.

We are forced to think and plan as we dont have the space. You lot just let things sprawl.

Ah, I see, so the problems you have to deal with (having no space) are better than our problems (things are more spread out). Glad to know we can rate countries on the quality of the problems they have to deal with!
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 11, 2013 4:42 pm

Also we cannot allow infrastructure to disintergrate they way you do. Maintainance is a major part of the work.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#40  Postby mattthomas » Mar 11, 2013 4:45 pm

Damn it didn't post....

I said......
In Sim City 4 at least (not sure of earlier versions) but there is a method to force the use of public transport over driving negating the needs for lots of roads.

Also Sim City allows the building of agricultural towns with lightweight roads and light populations.
mattthomas

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games