Simcity

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Simcity

#41  Postby scott1328 » Mar 11, 2013 4:45 pm

And yet maintenancing infrastructure and constrained space has been built into SimCity from the beginning.

So you are either incorrect about the game, or you are incorrect about city planning in the US. Pick one.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 11, 2013 4:48 pm

Yes Scot, American cities never maintain everything, all our streets and buildings are just rotten husks. Traffic is never slowed by crew people constantly working on the roads.

So, was there a big sale on asinine assertions this week in your neighborhood or something?
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 11, 2013 6:15 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:Yes Scot, American cities never maintain everything, all our streets and buildings are just rotten husks. Traffic is never slowed by crew people constantly working on the roads.

So, was there a big sale on asinine assertions this week in your neighborhood or something?

Well i read enough reports during my working life about the lack of maintainence of American infrastructure.

Here is the Economist on America's problems.

http://www.economist.com/node/18620944

ON FRIDAY afternoons, residents of Washington, DC, often find a clear route out of the city as elusive as a deal to cut the deficit. Ribbons of red rear-lights stretch off into the distance along the highways that radiate from the city's centre. Occasionally, adventurous southbound travellers experiment with Amtrak, America's national rail company. The distance from Washington to Raleigh, North Carolina (a metropolitan area about the size of Brussels) is roughly the same as from London's St Pancras Station to the Gare du Nord in Paris. But this is no Eurostar journey.

Trains creep out of Washington's Union Station and pause at intervals, inexplicably, as they travel through the northern Virginia suburbs. In the summer, high temperatures threaten to kink the steel tracks, forcing trains to slow down even more. Riders may find themselves inching along behind a lumbering freight train for miles at a time, until the route reaches a side track on which the Amtrak train can pass. The trip takes six hours, well over twice as long as the London-Paris journey, if there are no delays. And there often are.
Myths in islam Women and islam Musilm opinion polls

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#44  Postby scott1328 » Mar 11, 2013 6:23 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:Yes Scot, American cities never maintain everything, all our streets and buildings are just rotten husks. Traffic is never slowed by crew people constantly working on the roads.

Well i read enough reports during my working life about the lack of maintainence of American infrastructure.

[Reveal] Spoiler: "irrelevant quote"

ON FRIDAY afternoons, residents of Washington, DC, often find a clear route out of the city as elusive as a deal to cut the deficit. Ribbons of red rear-lights stretch off into the distance along the highways that radiate from the city's centre. Occasionally, adventurous southbound travellers experiment with Amtrak, America's national rail company. The distance from Washington to Raleigh, North Carolina (a metropolitan area about the size of Brussels) is roughly the same as from London's St Pancras Station to the Gare du Nord in Paris. But this is no Eurostar journey.

Trains creep out of Washington's Union Station and pause at intervals, inexplicably, as they travel through the northern Virginia suburbs. In the summer, high temperatures threaten to kink the steel tracks, forcing trains to slow down even more. Riders may find themselves inching along behind a lumbering freight train for miles at a time, until the route reaches a side track on which the Amtrak train can pass. The trip takes six hours, well over twice as long as the London-Paris journey, if there are no delays. And there often are.

Your disgust of American City planning notwithstanding. Your criticisms do not apply to the game, which has extensive mass transit options, infrastructure maintenance, constrained space, constrained budgets.
scott1328

Name: Some call me... Tim
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 11, 2013 6:34 pm

scott1328 wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

Your disgust of American City planning notwithstanding. Your criticisms do not apply to the game, which has extensive mass transit options, infrastructure maintenance, constrained space, constrained budgets.

Nothing near reality. The lack of investment in Amtrak is just a typical example.

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet.” — Napoleon Bonaparte
Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#46  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 11, 2013 10:08 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
scott1328 wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:

Nothing near reality. The lack of investment in Amtrak is just a typical example.

Try reading - he was talking about the game. But don't let that stop one of your broken record rants.

Meanwhile, I'll keep pointing out that you're spouting off on a game about which, as clear as day, you haven't the foggiest clue. Of your posts, this is a typical example.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#47  Postby mraltair » Mar 11, 2013 10:11 pm

I won't hear anything positive about this game.

It lacks a Dutch focus.
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby LucidFlight » Mar 11, 2013 10:51 pm

Hmm, what about us Brits? In not one of the previews have I seen leprechauns, herds of wild haggis roaming the countryside, or men in bowler hats riding on double-decker busses. This game is very unrealistic. Nowhere does it go into the fine detail with regard to the controversy surrounding gun ownership in America, or even the inevitable demise of Hostess and the growing fear felt amongst the American people in recent times about the imminent shortage of Twinkies.

ETA

Also, the number of monster attacks on cities is greatly exaggerated, IMO.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#49  Postby Sityl » Mar 12, 2013 1:00 am

15202 posts, 202 of which aren't blatant anti-american racism. Even manages to bring it into a game that has nothing to do with the US.
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'

Sityl

Name: Ser Sityllan Payne
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#50  Postby Wiðercora » Mar 12, 2013 2:47 pm

LucidFlight wrote:Hmm, what about us Brits? In not one of the previews have I seen leprechauns, herds of wild haggis roaming the countryside, or men in bowler hats riding on double-decker busses [...]

You can get a mod for SC4 that lets you drive on the left.

So there's that.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#51  Postby Jumbo » Mar 12, 2013 3:16 pm

In not one of the previews have I seen leprechauns, herds of wild haggis roaming the countryside, or men in bowler hats riding on double-decker busses.

We both know Haggis can't roam. With one pair of legs shorter than the other they are doomed to circle the hills endlessly. Though their fate is far better than the Welsh 'Araf' which is doomed to be squashed on all our major roads.

Slightly on topic:
My lasting memory of Amsterdam (other than a shell shocked Geordie staggering round the red light district. God Knows what had been done to him!) was of a Dutch group of workmen digging up the roads. Not memorable other than for the fact they were all actually wearing bright yellow Clogs. I thought such footwear was only to attract the tourists but apparently it was the attire of choice of your average workman that summer.
The Feynman Problem-Solving Algorithm

1. Write down the problem.
2. Think very hard.
3. Write down the answer.
Jumbo

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#52  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 12, 2013 5:43 pm

Jumbo wrote:
In not one of the previews have I seen leprechauns, herds of wild haggis roaming the countryside, or men in bowler hats riding on double-decker busses.

We both know Haggis can't roam. With one pair of legs shorter than the other they are doomed to circle the hills endlessly. Though their fate is far better than the Welsh 'Araf' which is doomed to be squashed on all our major roads.

Slightly on topic:
My lasting memory of Amsterdam (other than a shell shocked Geordie staggering round the red light district. God Knows what had been done to him!) was of a Dutch group of workmen digging up the roads. Not memorable other than for the fact they were all actually wearing bright yellow Clogs. I thought such footwear was only to attract the tourists but apparently it was the attire of choice of your average workman that summer.

Anywhere muddy they are still used. Very practical. Most farmers still use them. Warm in Winter as well.
Working clogs (klompon) are different to the tourist version as they have a leather strap which goes across the top of the foot.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#53  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 12, 2013 5:46 pm

Wiðercora wrote:
LucidFlight wrote:Hmm, what about us Brits? In not one of the previews have I seen leprechauns, herds of wild haggis roaming the countryside, or men in bowler hats riding on double-decker busses [...]

So there's that.

Well that is a step in the right direction. You should be able to buy an add on for your bit of the world. Signs, traffic lights and road markings differ greatly even around Europe.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#54  Postby Sonoran Lion » Mar 12, 2013 6:45 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
Wiðercora wrote:

So there's that.

Well that is a step in the right direction. You should be able to buy an add on for your bit of the world. Signs, traffic lights and road markings differ greatly even around Europe.

For the last version of Simcity, Simcity 4, people created a number of mods to customize cities based on different parts of the world. Which, I believe, included signs, traffic lights, and road markings. I remember a few mods and building designs that meant to reflect Hong Kong and various European cities. I hope this new version of Simcity, when they get it running well, will allow people to create content for it as easily as Simcity 4.
"I would rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are,
Because a could-be is a maybe that is reaching for a star.
I would rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far,
For a might-have-been has never been, but a has was once an are".
Sonoran Lion

United States (us)
Print view this post

#55  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 13, 2013 12:22 pm

Sonoran Lion wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
Wiðercora wrote:

So there's that.

For the last version of Simcity, Simcity 4, people created a number of mods to customize cities based on different parts of the world. Which, I believe, included signs, traffic lights, and road markings. I remember a few mods and building designs that meant to reflect Hong Kong and various European cities. I hope this new version of Simcity, when they get it running well, will allow people to create content for it as easily as Simcity 4.

I would agree with that.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 13, 2013 12:30 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:I never liked Simcity to much American oriented. All about building roads which in cities we dont do anymore.

Even if you're building a city from scratch?
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#57  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 13, 2013 12:32 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:I never liked Simcity to much American oriented. All about building roads which in cities we dont do anymore.

It is the logic behind it. The association between business, houses and roads.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#58  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 13, 2013 12:48 pm

Scot Dutchy wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:

So? It's an American game in which you're clearly making an American city in America. It also pretty much forces you into the grid system of town planning, but who cares? It's obviously a simplistic idea of town planning that at no stage claims to be an accurate simulation. I mean you can bulldoze people's houses without even paying them off. It would be fun to be able to customize your city a bit more to a particular location, but at least in the versions I've played, that would require a radical redesign of the game to be anything other than cosmetic.

As for Amtrak, you've always been able to connect your rail network to other cities by dragging it to the edge of the map.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#59  Postby mattthomas » Mar 13, 2013 1:15 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:

So? It's an American game in which you're clearly making an American city in America. It also pretty much forces you into the grid system of town planning, but who cares? It's obviously a simplistic idea of town planning that at no stage claims to be an accurate simulation. I mean you can bulldoze people's houses without even paying them off. It would be fun to be able to customize your city a bit more to a particular location, but at least in the versions I've played, that would require a radical redesign of the game to be anything other than cosmetic.

As for Amtrak, you've always been able to connect your rail network to other cities by dragging it to the edge of the map.

I always wished that every autumn the railways would stop working due to leaves on the lines.
mattthomas

Print view this post

#60  Postby Scot Dutchy » Mar 13, 2013 3:49 pm

I'm With Stupid wrote:
Scot Dutchy wrote:
I'm With Stupid wrote:

Exactly what I have been saying.

A bit flexibility would be very good. Even there were an option to choose between America and Europe logic.
Of course Britain would have to have its own version that is if anyone understands British urban design because the Brits dont.

Scot Dutchy

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games