So what gaming system do you have?

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: So what gaming system do you have?

#21  Postby Varangian » Oct 24, 2012 7:21 pm

The_Metatron wrote:
aban57 wrote:Don't you have an IMac ? Oh yes that's right, it's not a gaming system :lol:

I have two iMacs now.

...that won't play any games?

My PC isn't new, but decent for games:

i3 3.07 GHz
Geforce GT320 1024 MB
640 HDD (+ 1 TB external drive currently not in use)
4 GB DDR3

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#22  Postby kiore » Oct 24, 2012 8:49 pm

Current Phenom II 955, MSI k9a2 plat board with 2 x GTX 560ti's powered by a Corsair hx 1000. 2x2g Crucial Ballistix tracers 1066. Core Contact Freezer cpu cooler. Sitting on a homemade plywood test bench.
Looking to upgrade to..
Intel Core i7-3930K 3.20GHz (Sandybridge-E) Socket LGA2011.
Asus Rampage IV Formula Intel X79 (Socket 2011) DDR3 Motherboard.
Samsung Green 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C11 1600MHz 30nm Dual/Quad Channel Kit (MV-3V4G3D/US).
OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive (VTX4-25SAT3-128G)
Asus GTX 570. (have this already)
Undecided about the cpu cooler, and will be running in the open on a test bench probably one of these:
DimasTech Bench Table V2.5 Easy.
Am trying to sort out how to buy and collect this now, not that easy in my situation but hopefully can collect on my upcoming London trip.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#23  Postby Matt8819 » Oct 05, 2013 6:08 am

I just bought a new Asus gaming laptop, I'm pretty damned happy with it.

i7-4700HQ, 2.4GHz
2x750GB HDD
12GB DDR3
GTX 765M

The screen is 1920x1080, 60Hz
Matt8819
RS Donator

Name: Matt
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Kaleid » Oct 05, 2013 6:22 am

Amstrad CPC464 :smoke:

"I don't mind if I have to sit on the floor at school. All I want is education. And I am afraid of no one."
- Malala Yousafzai
Kaleid
RS Donator

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#25  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Oct 05, 2013 6:31 am

I just got a second screen for my PC. I can never go back to using only one screen.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#26  Postby purplerat » Oct 09, 2013 7:48 pm

My desktop GPU bit the dust and I gave my monitor to my wife for here home office so I'm left with only my laptop for gaming.

MSI GT60
Core i7-3630QM 2.4GHz
12GB DDR3
750GB HDD
2GB NVIDIA GTX 675M

I'm debating whether to rebuild my desktop, really it comes down to how much I play games which currently isn't that often even though my laptop can handle just about anything current. If I do build a new desktop it will most likely be centered around an Eyefinity setup and 3 monitors. Anybody here have any experience with such a setup? I have a 42 LED TV that I'm think I could use as the center screen with two 23" monitors set vertically on each side. What I need to figure out is a mounting system where I can have the 3 like that for gaming but move the 2 monitors off to a separate area when I want to do real work.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#27  Postby purplerat » Oct 09, 2013 7:57 pm

Matt8819 wrote:I just bought a new Asus gaming laptop, I'm pretty damned happy with it.

i7-4700HQ, 2.4GHz
2x750GB HDD
12GB DDR3
GTX 765M

The screen is 1920x1080, 60Hz

Had (well still have but don't use) an ASUS gaming laptop. Absolutely loved it. I really wanted to get another ASUS when I upgraded earlier this year but I could not find anything with decent specs in less than a 17" screen which I can't stand. I found the MSI I posted above in a 15.6" so I opted for that and am quite happy. Still will try to go back to ASUS if/when I upgrade again. One thing about the MSI I got, and this may very well be true of similarly priced ASUS models, is that it has some really nice higher end features that I normally wouldn't have paid much attention to or shopped for that I was pleasantly surprised by. Anything I get in the future will have to include those as well.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#28  Postby The_Piper » Oct 09, 2013 7:59 pm

I have all kinds of old systems. I don't play them anymore. :(
Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, 400, 800, XE, Jaguar, etc.
Generic Pongs, maybe 30 different kinds.
Channel F 1 + 2, Sega Master, Genesis, CD, Saturn, DC, Portable Genesis, Turbo Grafx 16 plus CD, Portable turbografx 16, Intellivision 1 + 2, Colecovision, Adam Computer, Commodore Vic 20, 64, 128, Amiga's, Apple II, Macintosh, IBM PC JR, Tandy 1000, Magnavox Odyssey1 + 2, Panasonic 3DO, Sony Playstation 1 and 2, XBox, Nes, Snes, N64, Gamecube, Game boys, Game gear, etc etc etc. :shifty:
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#29  Postby willhud9 » Oct 10, 2013 5:14 am

DarthHelmet86 wrote:I just got a second screen for my PC. I can never go back to using only one screen.

I am in desperate need of a new desk just for this reason. I played with my TV and Computer monitor hooked up and it was best feeling. Being able to play World of Warcraft on fullscreen and than have my desktop open for Youtube and Pandora was so convenient.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#30  Postby Scar » Oct 10, 2013 5:44 am

aban57 wrote:Don't you have an IMac ? Oh yes that's right, it's not a gaming system :lol:

Why not? It has plenty of oomph, there are tons of games for Mac by now and you can dual boot windows if you so desire.

Can't remember the specs of my gaming machine off the top of my head, but let me tell you, don't ever try to bargain on the HDD when you build one. I did and the slow read speed (as well as noise it makes) are killing me (an the machine's performance).
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#31  Postby Briton » Oct 10, 2013 8:57 am

I bought one of those Android TV boxes recently. Haven't gamed on it much but the missus plays Mah jong on it. ;)
Need to get a controller to try some more games; only have a keyboard and mouse at the moment. Cheap way of smartening a TV though and XBMC is a great resource.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#32  Postby Bribase » Nov 15, 2013 12:14 am

I'm about to rebuild the core of my system from Mobo,CPU and GPU. What do you think of it?

My old build

Bribase wrote:Q9550 @ 2.83ghz
8Gb Corsair RAM
ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe
ATI 4870X2
Samsung 256GB SSD

I'm planning on going for:
Asus SABERTOOTH Z87
Intel Core i7 4770, 1150
3GB EVGA GTX 780 Ti
16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Low Profile Jet Black PC3-12800 (1600)

I'm holding on to my case, my HDs and Power supply. The plan is to upgrade my system, ready to run an oculus rift when the consumer model comes out. I like to upgrade to a high end system and not worry about needing upgrades for the next few years. Is there anything I might be missing out on? Perhaps a 2011 socket instead of a 1150?
Bribase

Male

Print view this post

#33  Postby willhud9 » Nov 15, 2013 12:19 am

My AMD Radeon HD 7700 is nice, but I may upgrade it to a better graphics card. :think:
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Matt8819 » Nov 15, 2013 12:30 am

Bribase wrote:I'm about to rebuild the core of my system from Mobo,CPU and GPU. What do you think of it?

My old build

Bribase wrote:Q9550 @ 2.83ghz
8Gb Corsair RAM
ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe
ATI 4870X2
Samsung 256GB SSD

I'm planning on going for:
Asus SABERTOOTH Z87
Intel Core i7 4770, 1150
3GB EVGA GTX 780 Ti
16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Low Profile Jet Black PC3-12800 (1600)

I'm holding on to my case, my HDs and Power supply. The plan is to upgrade my system, ready to run an oculus rift when the consumer model comes out. I like to upgrade to a high end system and not worry about needing upgrades for the next few years. Is there anything I might be missing out on? Perhaps a 2011 socket instead of a 1150?

My god, that looks beautiful. The 780ti is my new dream card, or maybe two in SLI. Or four. I can't speak to the socket you're using, but at a glance it looks like a damned good rig.
Matt8819
RS Donator

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#35  Postby willhud9 » Nov 15, 2013 12:46 am

The 780 ti is like one of the best on the market right now. Although I don't have $700 to sink into it. :waah:
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#36  Postby Matt8819 » Nov 15, 2013 10:24 am

It beats the Titan in every way, but is has 3gb to the titans 6. Plus the 780ti can be run in up to 4 way SLI.
Matt8819
RS Donator

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#37  Postby DoctorE » Nov 15, 2013 10:41 am

win 8.1; I7; 16gb; SSD; 27 monitor; GTX690... rocks
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

#38  Postby purplerat » Nov 15, 2013 3:00 pm

I have my 560ti in for RMA and in the past I have received significantly upgraded cards on exchange for dead ones. I'll cross my fingers and hope they drop a 780 in the box when they send my replacement :grin:
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#39  Postby Bribase » Mar 07, 2014 12:02 am

Well, it worked out in the end that my boast of going for a 780ti was just that. Realising that paying for anything like a Titan or souped up 780 was primarily about wanting the best and being too impatient to wait for the price to go down. I ended up going for a GTX 770 SC and swapping all of my core system for:

Sabertooth Z87
Intel Core i7 4770K
8 Gb RAM
H80 Liquid CPU cooler

The core components were assembled and overclocked to 4.4Ghz By Scan.co.uk (I can recommend them) but I used my old drives (SSD for system two 500gb and one 2tb for data), case and Power supply.

Coming as a big suprise to me, the whole thing went together with barely a hitch beyond wrestling with constraints on space and having to chuck out my old PCI sound card (a real shame as I had grown attached to it). The lovely thing now is that the SSD that was previously a little constrained being in an old motherboard is now using 6gb/s SATA ports so the thing flies when loading and booting.

The 770 is obviously working wonderfully. I just got finished playing Bioshock infinite, which while I was able to play it on my 4870x2 was very laggy and my cursor was floating horribly. Yay! now I can aim! All the while getting a chance to see all of the gorgeous lighting and particle effects at once. Next on the list is Metro: Last Light. I didn't play the first one on account of more floaty cursor issues and the fact that the stealth was awful. I hear they managed to clear that up for the sequel and I'm looking forward to it.
Bribase

Male

Print view this post

#40  Postby Scar » Mar 07, 2014 6:17 pm

Maybe someone could give me the best tip on how to speed up my system the cheapest. Even guild wars 2 isn't running all that well anymore when a lot is going on. I have the following:

CPU: Intel Core i5 760, Quad Core @ 2,80GHZ
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6800
RAM: 4GB
Hard-drive: Hitachi Deskstar HDS721010CLA332 1TB

One of the things I'm probably going to get is an SSD... I went for that HD because it was big... and cheap and I really wish I didn't.
Also more RAM might be a good idea I suppose?
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games