So what gaming system do you have?

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: So what gaming system do you have?

#41  Postby willhud9 » Mar 07, 2014 6:22 pm

What time of energy source and coolant system do you use?

Coolant is an oftentimes overlooked factor as you can have the best RAM, graphics, processor, etc. and be running 4 different games and each game takes a crash for the worst as the console is heating too quickly.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby purplerat » Mar 07, 2014 6:40 pm

I haven't stayed up to date with desktop PC components as I normally am over the past year but I would point to your GPU and RAM as the biggest bottlenecks.

I tried looking up that GPU but I only see 6850 and 6870 models which are dated themselves. By comparison my system has a 2 year old GeForce 560 ti which significantly outpaces those cards in the charts I just checked and I would consider my card rather dated.

You could also probably benefit from going from 4 to 8GBs of ram but depending on the type and configuration of your existing ram it may not be all that cost effective. Do you know if it's DDR2 or DDR3 and what's your current configuration/how many slots do you have available? If it's DDR2 and you have 4 x 1GB then it could be rather expensive to upgrade and you'd be better off putting that $ into a video card upgrade.

You may also be able to overclock your CPU for a free speed boost but that would only really be worth it if you get your GPU up to speed for gaming.

I wouldn't worry about the HDD unless you were going to rebuild the entire system.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Bribase » Mar 07, 2014 6:50 pm

Have you done the usual things like cleaning out the GPU and Deep-optimising your hard drive? I think a big drive like that might need some attention.
Bribase

Male

Print view this post

#44  Postby kiore » Mar 07, 2014 8:30 pm

I have a GTX 780ti and it is really very nice, an EVGA twin fan version so stays pretty cool even though I OC it pretty heavily.
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#45  Postby Scar » Mar 07, 2014 9:59 pm

Bribase wrote:Have you done the usual things like cleaning out the GPU and Deep-optimising your hard drive? I think a big drive like that might need some attention.

Some cleaning of the innards might be advisable. I believe win8 as well as modern HD controllers are pretty good at optimising the drive on their own. It's just a slow drive <.<

I actually overclocked the CPU now. Not too much, might experiment a bit with it. My rig doesn't have any fance cooling system though.

@will:

I can't tell you what kind of energy source it is as I'm not at home, but it isn't anything special and I did overclock to like 3,4GHZ which made the computer restart after like a minute, so it can definitely not take that much.

Gosh, I wish I was less of a hardware noob, but despite my freaking computer science degree I could never get myselfs interested in anything beyond software^^'''
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Video Games