The Minecraft Thread!

It's official!

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The Minecraft Thread!

#341  Postby LucidFlight » Aug 17, 2014 2:07 pm

DarthHelmet86 wrote:Okay what is FTB?

Feed The Beast. Modded Minecraft.
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#342  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Aug 17, 2014 2:09 pm

I have never really felt the need to mod the game, oh well one day maybe I will find out the fun that is all these cool mods. With my son still learning how to play I think I will stick with the base game.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#343  Postby LucidFlight » Aug 17, 2014 2:18 pm

DarthHelmet86 wrote:I have never really felt the need to mod the game, oh well one day maybe I will find out the fun that is all these cool mods.

Yep. I felt the same way, until I was asked to help beta-test a server last year. Talk about being thrown in at the deep end. What a lot of fun, though. All those new things to play with. :smile:

DarthHelmet86 wrote:With my son still learning how to play I think I will stick with the base game.

:nod:
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#344  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Aug 17, 2014 2:28 pm

He was shocked today to be kicked from the server, he had decided to play a "prank" on me. Sadly being 5 he isn't really up on how this whole joke and pranking thing works. So he broke stuff, he thought it was funny so its a prank right? He said sorry and went back to playing, but once again the fun of pranking tempted him. He broke a few more things and then found himself off the server and being called in to see daddy. Now he understands that just breaking stuff isn't a prank and that he is not allowed to break stuff inside the house area unless told he can.

I will set about building a temple I think and show him what a real prank is. A couple of traps here, a couple of traps there but no harm done to the important buildings and no need for someone to have to go around fixing things.
I. This is Not a Game
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#345  Postby LucidFlight » Aug 17, 2014 2:40 pm

DarthHelmet86 wrote:He was shocked today to be kicked from the server, he had decided to play a "prank" on me. Sadly being 5 he isn't really up on how this whole joke and pranking thing works. So he broke stuff, he thought it was funny so its a prank right? He said sorry and went back to playing, but once again the fun of pranking tempted him. He broke a few more things and then found himself off the server and being called in to see daddy. Now he understands that just breaking stuff isn't a prank and that he is not allowed to break stuff inside the house area unless told he can.

Ah, a strict no-griefing policy. Well done, sir!

DarthHelmet86 wrote:I will set about building a temple I think and show him what a real prank is. A couple of traps here, a couple of traps there but no harm done to the important buildings and no need for someone to have to go around fixing things.

:smile:

Hmm, while I'm posting... here's a more recent FTB project. Originally an NPC village, I fancied-up a wall and some turrets around it. Silhouetted against the sky, is a spiraling spire, of which the insides I never quite got around to finishing.

LucidFlight
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#346  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Aug 18, 2014 8:25 am

I did some more building today, just small scale stuff to try and make the first little house feel like a home. I also found a nice texture pack to make the game feel a little nicer.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Overall view

[Reveal] Spoiler: Fountain and backyard pool

[Reveal] Spoiler: The reading room and the control room
I. This is Not a Game
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#347  Postby LucidFlight » Aug 18, 2014 8:45 am

That is a nice pool!
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#348  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Aug 18, 2014 9:28 am

Its heated so you can spend as long as you want in it.
I. This is Not a Game
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#349  Postby electricwhiteboy » Aug 18, 2014 10:04 am

DarthHelmet86 wrote:He was shocked today to be kicked from the server, he had decided to play a "prank" on me. Sadly being 5 he isn't really up on how this whole joke and pranking thing works. So he broke stuff, he thought it was funny so its a prank right? He said sorry and went back to playing, but once again the fun of pranking tempted him. He broke a few more things and then found himself off the server and being called in to see daddy. Now he understands that just breaking stuff isn't a prank and that he is not allowed to break stuff inside the house area unless told he can.

I will set about building a temple I think and show him what a real prank is. A couple of traps here, a couple of traps there but no harm done to the important buildings and no need for someone to have to go around fixing things.

Could be worse, he could have taken a load of spell books, diamonds and other rare goodies and then fallen in some lava like my mate's kid. That was a banning offence.

I play minecraft with my girlfriend so the only unexpected thing I find is a few new fences and animals now and again with a sign saying "not to be eaten".
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

The Minecraft Thread!

#350  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Aug 19, 2014 6:55 am

DarthHelmet86 wrote:I got a new laptop today, one that will mostly be for my son as he starts needing a computer for school. It is nothing fancy but it can run Minecraft, a game he is in love with. So I started up a quick LAN server for me and him to play on and while thinking of things I could try out I thought of using repeaters to make a timed drop into lava. Thinking a bit more I thought it would be a fun way for him to practice his sight words (he is learning to read and while learning to sound out is still a main focus some English words just don't sound out so these are words kids learn to say on sight at first), if he says all his words right in the time limit he gets to jump off the death trap. If he doesn't well daddy gets to laugh in glee as he falls a long way into a lava pit.

I plan on playing around a lot more with redstone and am trying to work out other ways to help him learn while we play.

One of the many reasons Minecraft is the best game ever.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#351  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Aug 19, 2014 8:16 am

I think the next thing I will make is a little game to help him learn how to mine and create items. Make a list of items he needs to make give him some starting tools to help him and race to see who can be first to make them. Perhaps making my list a fair bit harder.

I will use item frames to show what to collect and make but I can also use them to lay out the recipes of the items. That way he is both learning the game mechanics in game.
I. This is Not a Game
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#352  Postby DougC » Sep 12, 2014 1:10 am

B.B.C. - Microsoft set to buy Minecraft's developer Mojang, say reports
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#353  Postby dochmbi » Sep 14, 2014 1:47 am

Can anyone please explain to me how it is possible that minecraft is worth 2 billion dollars?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... per-Mojang
dochmbi

Name: Max

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#354  Postby Rome Existed » Sep 14, 2014 1:53 am

dochmbi wrote:Can anyone please explain to me how it is possible that minecraft is worth 2 billion dollars?

It's the third highest selling game of all time.

They'll make Minecraft 2 and it'll be full of micro transactions.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#355  Postby willhud9 » Sep 14, 2014 2:22 am

DougC wrote:B.B.C. - Microsoft set to buy Minecraft's developer Mojang, say reports

Well....there goes the neighbourhood
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#356  Postby dochmbi » Sep 14, 2014 11:18 pm

Rome Existed wrote:
dochmbi wrote:Can anyone please explain to me how it is possible that minecraft is worth 2 billion dollars?

So far Minecraft has sold 16 million copies at 20$ a piece, that's just 320 million dollars in revenue. Are they really expecting to make eight times that much from Minecraft sequels and microtransactions?? Or is there some other value in buying a company besides the revenue that I'm not seeing?
dochmbi

Name: Max

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#357  Postby willhud9 » Sep 14, 2014 11:20 pm

dochmbi wrote:
Rome Existed wrote:

So far Minecraft has sold 16 million copies at 20$ a piece, that's just 320 million dollars in revenue. Are they really expecting to make eight times that much from Minecraft sequels and microtransactions?? Or is there some other value in buying a company besides the revenue that I'm not seeing?

How much Minecraft merchandise has sold? How much have companies spent to invest in Minecraft? That is how a value for something is determined, not by revenue alone.
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#358  Postby Rome Existed » Sep 15, 2014 12:13 am

This is taking a long time to build. Each portal requires 84 obsidian.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#359  Postby willhud9 » Sep 15, 2014 12:24 am

What is it for?
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
willhud9

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#360  Postby Rome Existed » Sep 15, 2014 12:33 am

willhud9 wrote:What is it for?

Pigman farming. At the moment they just drop into a pool of water. When it's finished though I might add flowing water so that they fall down a hole, get almost killed and then just require a little smack to kill them. At the moment they require a couple of whacks with a sword.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games