The original XCOM is being remade

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: The original XCOM is being remade

#101  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Oct 12, 2012 4:00 pm

Rome Existed wrote:I lost a sniper that was one rank from maxing out. She was the last one left and was killed while running to the Skyranger after taking out about 5 of them with her pistol.

Sounds like a hero's death.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#102  Postby tuco » Oct 12, 2012 6:00 pm

DarthHelmet86 wrote:Saving and reloading is all part of these games, it isn't scumming unless you are sitting there saving every turn and reloading when the shots hit or miss (depending on who is shooting that is).

Just a technical note, this XCOM uses the same random number generator like Civilization so it does not allow that kind of scumming as you call it. Reloading in situation described will yield the same result. Of course there are probably ways how to fool the generator but thats another matter. At least I was told it should work in the way described.

Going to pick it up tomorrow. There is no way I am gonna lose a game, scumming or not.
tuco

Print view this post

#103  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Oct 12, 2012 6:26 pm

My last mission I saved before starting because it was a "Very difficult" mission, so i planned on reloading often.

My team ROCKED the mission :) with 2 assaults, 1 sniper, and 1 support, and I didn't have to reload once. They all did their jobs to perfection and with zero losses. I wanted to take them all out for beers after.

My support healed up one of my assaults who took heavy damage (single health bar left). Later she popped a smoke for the other assault who ended up exposed for a full alien turn.

Sniper took out a few thin men who were flanking my team, saving the mission.

And my assaults just cleaned up the map.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#104  Postby tuco » Oct 12, 2012 6:42 pm

:) Feels good eh?

While I can admire those who undertake iron man kind of things, like Dark Souls 35min speed run, I play these games for fun and I am not gonna get frustrated by AI, game mechanics, or own my stupidity/mistakes. For (real heh) competition or challenge one needs human opponent anyway and in such games reloads are not an option. The option to save at any time is neat as it allows one to play the game anyway one wants without restricting anyone in setting up own challenges, like saving before missions. Though, as always, to each her own. I hope its difficult, and I hope to exploit AI in any way I can.
tuco

Print view this post

#105  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 12, 2012 7:31 pm

CdesignProponentsist wrote:There should be a 'tactical game' category for games like XCOM. To me the real heart of the game is not strategy, but tactics. But then chess would also fall under this category as well.

If it was just tactical, I wouldn't be interested in playing it.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#106  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 12, 2012 7:34 pm

India bloody walked out on me... and now South America and much of Asia are on defcon 4 panic. It's problematic because as soon as a new mission comes up, I will be forced to lose Brazil and Argentina, or Japan and Australia. I can't see any way round it as I can't get any more satellites out atm! :(
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#107  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Oct 13, 2012 2:42 am

You could get lucky and get a mission from the council that will lower world wide panic.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#108  Postby Rome Existed » Oct 13, 2012 3:08 am

Darn. I ran a high level Assault up to a Sectoid to stun him and it failed. My guy was then killed.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#109  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 13, 2012 7:09 pm

DarthHelmet86 wrote:You could get lucky and get a mission from the council that will lower world wide panic.

I did indeed get just that! :cheers:

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#110  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 13, 2012 7:12 pm

Rome Existed wrote:Darn. I ran a high level Assault up to a Sectoid to stun him and it failed. My guy was then killed.

I had a base infiltration mission where you first meet a Sectoid Commander and was fully planning to zap that guy to have a wee chat with him back home. I dropped an assault down 2 levels, and was frustratingly just one tile away from being able to stun him. He then took control of my sniper who turned round and shot another guy point blank, but somehow missed! This sniper usually has 100% accuracy, so I have no idea how that happened. Sadly, I also got a reaction shot with another guy who took out the sectoid! :waah:

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#111  Postby tuco » Oct 13, 2012 8:07 pm

Installed the game this morning, had time to play 3 missions before taking a nap and going to work. Actually, I have reconsidered and starting Classic Ironman when I get home tomorrow.
tuco

Print view this post

#112  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Oct 14, 2012 1:36 am

Spearthrower wrote:
Rome Existed wrote:Darn. I ran a high level Assault up to a Sectoid to stun him and it failed. My guy was then killed.

I had a base infiltration mission where you first meet a Sectoid Commander and was fully planning to zap that guy to have a wee chat with him back home. I dropped an assault down 2 levels, and was frustratingly just one tile away from being able to stun him. He then took control of my sniper who turned round and shot another guy point blank, but somehow missed! This sniper usually has 100% accuracy, so I have no idea how that happened. Sadly, I also got a reaction shot with another guy who took out the sectoid! :waah:

I got lucky with my one, he just tried to shoot me and I had dashed my heavy up so close any way that the next turn was a small step then a stun. I had shot him a bit with pistols to lower his health just to make sure he would go down. Boy was the scientist excited.
I. This is Not a Game
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#113  Postby Animavore » Oct 14, 2012 2:03 am

So... Worth getting?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#114  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Oct 14, 2012 3:28 am

Yes...yes indeed. I wont spoil what it lets you do but it is needed and very cool.
I. This is Not a Game
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#115  Postby tuco » Oct 14, 2012 6:04 am

Animavore wrote:So... Worth getting?

Get the demo if you can. For me it was worth only if for sentimental reasons, as I used to play the original XCOM, loved it, and was waiting for remake. The game is getting very good reviews so it ought to be worth it I guess, though after a couple of hours in I am not so excited any more as I see some thing I do not like already. Then again, I cannot responsibly declare verdict since I have not played much. Its turn based, its like chess.
tuco

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#116  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Oct 14, 2012 8:01 am

Animavore wrote:So... Worth getting?

Sorry I thought this was Spearthrower asking if it was worthwhile capturing a certain alien, for the game yes I would say if you are into tactical strategy games this game is well worth the buy. I would suggest watching some of the videos on youtube if you are unsure about this style of game.
I. This is Not a Game
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#117  Postby Sgt Kelly » Oct 14, 2012 11:36 am

I had a rough week at work and more of the same ahead of me, so I decided I would indulge myself and play X-COM all saturday. I'm absolutely loving it. It definitely has that 'just one more mission...' factor that makes you think you've played for an hour when actually it's three. They kept all the gameplay elements that made the original so compelling and poured scrumptious graphics and sound all over it. Best game in a long while.
Sgt Kelly

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#118  Postby Animavore » Oct 14, 2012 11:42 am

I already played the demo. I mentioned it but it got buried at the bottom of a page. I think this is something I will love. I got an extra €100 yesterday for a day's work helping a friend lay a patio so I have some spare cash to buy a game. I think I'll just go ahead and get it :think:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#119  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 14, 2012 12:54 pm

Animavore wrote:I already played the demo. I mentioned it but it got buried at the bottom of a page. I think this is something I will love. I got an extra €100 yesterday for a day's work helping a friend lay a patio so I have some spare cash to buy a game. I think I'll just go ahead and get it :think:

It's a GoTY for sure - you're not going to regret spending that cash.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#120  Postby Spearthrower » Oct 14, 2012 1:02 pm

DarthHelmet86 wrote:Yes...yes indeed. I wont spoil what it lets you do but it is needed and very cool.

Damnit, I can't get one! I've tried numerous times - they seem more resistant to stun than the others.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games