Top 10 Video Game Music Themes

Another list, what are your favourites?

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Top 10 Video Game Music Themes

#1  Postby willhud9 » Mar 28, 2014 4:58 am

Alright so I figured there is a video game music thread, but this isn't exactly the same thing. It is focused on specific themes I mean music that plays at a certain stage or part of the game that you really enjoy.

This list will include a youtube video in a spoiler drop down so if you don't know the song you can listen to it. I hope you enjoy it.

PS: Be prepared for a bunch of Nintendo.

10) Dragon Age: Origin - "Title Screen"

The haunting female vocals, the soft cello, and the ambient drums make this a very bone-chilling title screen as it then picks up into a crescendo that feels like a battle march. Considering the hours spent on the title screen, this song has been with me since I bought the game when it came out. Haven't regretted it since.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Title Screen

9) Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - "Windmill Hut"

Incredibly simplistic and repetitive songs are often my favourite when playing video games because I will find myself humming along to them immediately while playing a game and as a child and even now Windmill Hut and the Song of Storms was always being hummed even when not playing. It is my favourite Zelda song.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Windmill Hut

8) Donkey Kong 64 - "Fungi Forest (Night)"

This song, alongside Lavender Town's theme from the Pokemon series, haunted by childhood. When playing this game, I dreaded doing Fungi Forest just because this theme creeped the hell out of me. The xylophone and sound effects of an owl and wolf punctuating the 8-bit recording just gave me goosebumps. Still remains one of my favourite songs of the game though. Despite being scared while playing, this song was incredibly memorable for the experience it helped give me.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Fungi Forest (Night)

7) Skyrim - "The Song of the Dragonborn"

Yep. It is on this list. The main theme from Skyrim is not only memorable, but it is also epic. The chanting, the made up language, the war drums, Bethsesda really made the title feel as if it was from a different world and different time period.

[Reveal] Spoiler: The Song of the Dragonborn

6) Heroes of Might and Magic III - "Rampart Town Theme"

So I played the crap out of HoM&M III and in most of the franchise I played the nature/elvish people. In the third one, Rampart was my favourite town and the theme of the town was incredibly beautiful. It matched quite well the serene feel of nature and the grace of all the monster armies you could purchase. Definitely worth the listen.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Rampart Town Theme

5) Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow - "Battle Theme"

So I am a sucker for the 8-bit music of older systems like Mortal Combat (that almost made this list in this spot) but out of the 8-Bit music Pokemon's Battle Theme remains my favourite. The Pokemon franchise has been with me since I was 6-7 and I remember most of the music from the older games quite well. The battle theme is fast paced and fitting for a Pokemon battle.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Battle Theme

4) World of Warcraft: Cataclysm - "Goblin Theme"

Okay so I thought Cataclysm was a fairly week expansion in WoW, but my God did I love the introductions of the Goblins and their theme song was part of the reason. Vacationy, tropical, and suave it was so unexpected that I loved it instantly. One of my favourite score compositions from the game. Simple, repetitive, and yet catchy and replayable. Orgrimmar's new theme was also pretty good and comes close where WoW is concerned.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Goblin Theme

3) F-Zero - "Mute City"

This is the most impressive song on my favourite list in my opinion. F-Zero was a Super Nintendo Entertainment System game and it was a fairly amazing racing game. But Mute City...as well as Big Blue (which comes in an immediate close second) was so well composed on the cartridge that it blew me away as a kid playing the game. It also happened to be one of the first songs I learned to play on the piano.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Mute City

2) Kingdom Hearts - "Hollow Bastion"

So those who know me know Kingdom Hearts is my favourite game period. I love the first and second one (the ones for the handhelds are alright, but the two for the PS2 are classic games for me). So when Sora and gang come to Hollow Bastion and this song is the song playing as you are traversing a twisted castle warped in a blend of traditional castle with technological constructs jarring awkwardly as if the Heartless had corrupted the place, it is instant awe. That stage became one of my favourite stages just because of the song. I would literally sit with Donald and Beast in my party just listening to the song play.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Hollow Bastion

1) Final Fantasy VII - "One-Winged Angel"

And the cries of overrated and overplayed were heard in multitudes and the answer to those cries is: I don't care. I loved Final Fantasy as a kid and was really upset when I had to buy a Playstation just to play the seventh game. But when I heard this song and Sephiroth, I cared more for the villain than I did the protagonist. I even cheered when he killed Aerith. That and in Kingdom Hearts his fight and this song is one of the hardest boss fights in gaming history. Even at level 100, with the Ultima Keybalde, Sephiroth can be a tough boss. That and the moment you are doing well and hear him say, "Descend Heartless Angel" you look around and see him on the other side of the stage and know there is nothing you can do while this song pounds in the background remains one of the most heart pumping moments in gaming for me.

[Reveal] Spoiler: One-Winged Angel

So these are my top 10 video game music themes. What are yours? :mrgreen:
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Top 10 Video Game Music Themes

#2  Postby Nostalgia » Mar 28, 2014 1:00 pm

Nice list.

I can't really think of any specific songs but the whole albums of The Last of Us and Oblivion should place.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#3  Postby tuco » Mar 28, 2014 1:24 pm

related: http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post619663.html

CdesignProponentsist wrote:Helene Bøksle - Age of Conan
Best soundtrack ever in my opinion.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Age of Conan

[Reveal] Spoiler: Live

------

Mass Effect 3 Soundtrack

[Reveal] Spoiler: Clint Mansell FTW!

----

FIFA has decent soundtracks. Not for grammies but for playing football.

FIFA 12

[Reveal] Spoiler: Rock Mafia ft Miley Cyrus -The Big bang

FIFA 13

[Reveal] Spoiler: Cali - Outta My Mind

[Reveal] Spoiler: Kraftklub - Eure Mädchen

FIFA 14

[Reveal] Spoiler: American Authors - Hit It
Last edited by tuco on Mar 28, 2014 1:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
tuco

Print view this post

#4  Postby BlackBart » Mar 28, 2014 1:27 pm

No particular order or the right number...

The F/A-18 Interceptor was jaw dropping at the time...sounds awful now :lol:

You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 28, 2014 1:39 pm

In no particular order:

"Vigil" from Mass Effect:

"Suicide Mission" from Mass Effect 2 (still think this is a partially a rip-off from a particular Doctor Who soundtrack):
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 28, 2014 1:44 pm

willhud9 wrote:
1) Final Fantasy VII - "One-Winged Angel"

And the cries of overrated and overplayed were heard in multitudes and the answer to those cries is: I don't care. I loved Final Fantasy as a kid and was really upset when I had to buy a Playstation just to play the seventh game. But when I heard this song and Sephiroth, I cared more for the villain than I did the protagonist. I even cheered when he killed Aerith. That and in Kingdom Hearts his fight and this song is one of the hardest boss fights in gaming history. Even at level 100, with the Ultima Keybalde, Sephiroth can be a tough boss. That and the moment you are doing well and hear him say, "Descend Heartless Angel" you look around and see him on the other side of the stage and know there is nothing you can do while this song pounds in the background remains one of the most heart pumping moments in gaming for me.

[Reveal] Spoiler: One-Winged Angel

I get the same response when I tell people I quite like this song in both original Japanese and English dubbed version:
A 1000 words from Final Fantasy X-2

"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 28, 2014 1:48 pm

Also, the entire soundtrack of Knights and Merchants, 10/10 for atmosphere:

Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Sendraks » Mar 28, 2014 1:55 pm

Nice thread with some excellent choices. Will post my own once I'm home.

Hats off to Blackbart for the FA-18 Interceptor Theme (which you only heard on an Amiga with 1mb of memory or more). Love that track.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#9  Postby Kaleid » Mar 28, 2014 2:18 pm

All the music from Super Metroid, but especially this one:

[Reveal] Spoiler: Maridia theme

You'd only really 'get' it if you'd played the game. Maridia was a huge, subterranean waterworld on an alien planet. Up until this point in the game, it had been pretty frantic. Then suddenly, you discover this bizarre new section, and the game slows down. You wander from place to place, trying to find a way out, asking yourself if you've been in this or that cave before, and you get the horrible feeling of being utterly alone on an alien planet. If you died, no-one would ever know. Eerie doesn't even come close.

"I don't mind if I have to sit on the floor at school. All I want is education. And I am afraid of no one."
- Malala Yousafzai
Kaleid
RS Donator

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Nostalgia » Mar 28, 2014 2:58 pm

How could I forget this staple of my childhood?

We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#11  Postby I'm With Stupid » Mar 28, 2014 3:33 pm

Obviously number one would be Mystical Ninja on the N64, which basically played like an epic anime sitcom, complete with cheesy theme tunes throughout.

And my second favourite has to be Super Meat Boy, in particular these three:

(I challenge anyone who plays guitar to give this one a go)

The Cotton Alley theme gives you the impression that you're playing inside a lovely pink ice cream van and then proceeds to royally fuck you up with the hardest level of any computer game ever:

I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Animavore » Mar 28, 2014 5:00 pm

Ecco the Dolphin with the Pink Floyd influenced title, Welcome to the Machine. This was the level aboard the alien ship if you remember.

[Reveal] Spoiler:

The music that accompanied the Taurus Demon in Dark Souls when you came across it for the first time :evilgrin:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Awesomenauts' 80s sounding theme tune.

[Reveal] Spoiler:

DMC's industrial metal soundtrack.

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Dragon's Dogma Jap-metal theme tune.

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Deranged, from the Arkham City album. I don't think any of the songs on this album appeared in the game? Anyway, this song is like a love/hate song between Joker and Batman.

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Really hard to think of ten. I don't really pay attention to the music.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Kaleid » Mar 28, 2014 5:52 pm

Animavore wrote:Ecco the Dolphin with the Pink Floyd influenced title, Welcome to the Machine. This was the level aboard the alien ship if you remember.

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Oh yes. That music is stuck in my head for eternity due to the amount of times I replayed that level in an effort to complete the bastard thing.

Is it weird that I found the whole game creepy? Something about being in a vast, dark ocean... the music was largely to blame, of course.

"I don't mind if I have to sit on the floor at school. All I want is education. And I am afraid of no one."
- Malala Yousafzai
Kaleid
RS Donator

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Animavore » Mar 28, 2014 5:54 pm

Kaleid wrote:
Animavore wrote:Ecco the Dolphin with the Pink Floyd influenced title, Welcome to the Machine. This was the level aboard the alien ship if you remember.

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Oh yes. That music is stuck in my head for eternity due to the amount of times I replayed that level in an effort to complete the bastard thing.

Is it weird that I found the whole game creepy? Something about being in a vast, dark ocean... the music was largely to blame, of course.

it was a strange on alright. I wonder if it could be successfully rebooted in full 3-D, 'next-gen' glory?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Kaleid » Mar 28, 2014 5:58 pm

I don't think 3D would add or take anything away, if they nailed the same atmosphere with the music and settings it'd work.They could really go to town on the creep factor and finally put paid to the 'it's a dolphin so it must be a cute game for kids' image :)

- Malala Yousafzai
Kaleid
RS Donator

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Animavore » Mar 28, 2014 6:08 pm

Well that's what I meant when I wondered if it could be successfully rebooted. I'd hate for them to just make a 3-D one because they can. It needs that alien atmosphere of under the sea and share that Lovecraftian mystery that made Ecco what one of the very most top-rated games on the Megadrive.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#17  Postby thirsting » Mar 28, 2014 6:35 pm

Can't compile a top ten list, but this would be in it.
[Reveal] Spoiler: Diablo, Tristram theme

"Stay a while, and listen."
Well that was awkward.
thirsting

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 11, 2015 2:06 pm

Startet playing Republic Commando again. Forgot the epic theme song that went with this game:

Extended version with translation:
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#19  Postby electricwhiteboy » May 21, 2015 12:32 pm

The whole soundtrack of Thief the Dark Project, not something I would sit down and listen to out of context but works so well for the game.

Halo 3, almost all of it, but there are some truly epic goosebump raising moments. Almost every Bungie made game in that series had amazing music.

Main theme of Dragon Age 3.

Finding it hard not to mention what's already been said here.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#20  Postby I'm With Stupid » Jun 01, 2015 7:12 pm

Child of Light is probably the best videogame soundtrack I've ever heard. Perfect fantasy music.

I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Video Games