Top Ten Video Games

What are yours?

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Top Ten Video Games

#41  Postby quisquose » Jan 30, 2013 11:22 pm

No Crash Bandicoot? I loved those games.
quisquose
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#42  Postby Animavore » Jan 30, 2013 11:44 pm

Crash was indeed platforming brilliance. I had considered it.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#43  Postby BlackBart » Jan 31, 2013 12:00 am

In no particular order;

1. Adventure on the Vax/VMS (Which became Zork on home computers)

2. Star Raiders on the Atari 800

3. FTL Dungeon Master

4. Game Boy Golf

5. Command and Conquer

6. Morrowind

7. Half Life 2

8. Starglider 2

9. Submarine Commander on the Atari 800

10. Space Invaders
You don't crucify people! Not on Good Friday! - Harold Shand
BlackBart

Name: rotten bart
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#44  Postby I'm With Stupid » Jan 31, 2013 8:15 am

Animavore wrote:Crash was indeed platforming brilliance. I had considered it.

The problem Crash Bandicoot has is that Mario 64 rewrote the platform genre about 2 months before it was released, and it's really not in the same league.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Matt8819 » Jan 31, 2013 9:17 am

Hmm...well, I don't really have a top ten all time list, but here are a mix of ten games that I either have loved forever, or am playing right now and are amazing. This list isn't in order, but it's close to being in order.

10. Thomas Was Alone. Currently playing.
A gorgeously simplistic 2D indie platformer using a series of different shaped blocks with a very well programmed jump. The thing that makes this game amazing is the narration. Between the narrator being very good, and the dialogue being very well written, the dev. has managed to give each block its own personality, and make them all so far characters I actually care about. Very good level design so far, too. Oh, and the music is really good.

9. Gotham City Imposters. Currently playing.
Not too much to say about this one. A very fun FPS with a clever art style and sense of humour about the whole thing. Also free to play.

8. The Elder Scrolls series.
I've played Oblivion and Skyrim, and have just picked up Morrowind. I expect great things from it.

7. The Dragon Age Series.
Just started a play through of Origins again, and it's reminded me just how much fun I had the first time I played it. DA:2 is also a favorite, but not as strong as Origins. I have high hopes for Inquisition.

6. Bastion.
Another indie game, this time an action game. Good mechanics, amazing aesthetic, fucking perfect narration and soundtrack, including two of the greatest songs ever in a video game. Ever.

5. Pokemon. All of them.
Because they're fucking fun.

4. Dishonored.
Wicked fun stealth action, and my introduction to the genre, unless you count Deus Ex:HR. Although I've recently picked up the thief games, so this spot on the list may change.

3. Portal. Both of them.
Why in hell should I need to explain this?

2. Ocarina of Time.
Because fuck yes, that's why.

1. the Golden Sun series.
Mainly the first two for the Gameboy Advanced, but Dark Dawn was pretty good, too. Fun puzzles, great animations, probably the most fun I've ever had with an RPG.
Matt8819
RS Donator

Name: Matt
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#46  Postby electricwhiteboy » Jan 31, 2013 10:22 am

I want to add a few of honourable mentions.

Whatever the last Worms Game before it went 3D was.
Simcity
Dragonage (and the Awakening expansion pack which I think was actually better.)
Gabriel Knight Sins of the Fathers
The Original Prince of Persia
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#47  Postby Animavore » Jan 31, 2013 10:27 am

Flashback was very good for its day. Colin McRae Rally and Pete Samprass Tennis from Codemasters were great, addictive games too. On the Megadrive, Sampras, like Micro Machines 2, had two extra controller ports in the cartridge. Codemasters were my favourite games developer back in the day. Their games tended to be a tenner less than the rest.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#48  Postby CookieJon » Jan 31, 2013 10:35 am

electricwhiteboy wrote:I want to add a few of honourable mentions...

Oh well if we're doing honorable mentions, then...

System Shock

Another World

Pikmin

Day of the Tentacle

Metroid Prime

Lode Runner

Space Paranoids
(Yes I know it's not real, but it was WAY cool!! And by "cool", of course, I mean nerdy.)

:mrgreen:
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#49  Postby Animavore » Jan 31, 2013 10:38 am

Oh. And let's not forget.

ImageImage

:pulp:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#50  Postby Briton » Jan 31, 2013 10:48 am

akigr8 wrote:In no particular order:

Baldur's gate

I'd say Baldur's Gate is my favourite game of all time, particularly when modded with Tutu that allows it to be played with the BG2 engine. Any BG fan who hasn't tried that, along with other mods, I'd highly recommend they give it a go.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#51  Postby mindhack » Jan 31, 2013 11:04 am

My top 10. 2 to 10 are in no particular order:

1.***** Heroes of might and magic III
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Civilization 1

3. Diablo 2

4. Simon the sorcerer 2

5. Master of Orion

6. Hearts of Iron 2

7. Age of Empires 2

8. The legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

9. C&C Generals

10. The Battle of Olympus (nes)
(Ignorance --> Mystery) < (Knowledge --> Awe)
mindhack

Name: Van Amerongen
Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#52  Postby CookieJon » Jan 31, 2013 11:31 am

mindhack wrote:8. The legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

This is a serious omission in my Zelda experience... I understood it was just a different version of Ocarina of Time, but it's been mentioned more than once now. Perhaps I should give it a look... :ask:
CookieJon
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#53  Postby Jumbo » Jan 31, 2013 11:58 am

Wing Commander and Monkey Island were both near misses on my list.

Monkey Island though not the 1st SCUMM game was awesome. I think the fact that it rather than some of the other LucasArts games (Which all tended to be pretty good) generated so many sequels shows the appeal of Guybrush Threepwood.

Wing Commander was simply awesome. It was the game to show off your PC with and prove that the PC could do games that would make console owners jealous. Many of the other games of the time were in genres not suited to the consoles but this one tacked that pretty well.
The Feynman Problem-Solving Algorithm

1. Write down the problem.
2. Think very hard.
3. Write down the answer.
Jumbo

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#54  Postby mindhack » Jan 31, 2013 12:15 pm

CookieJon wrote:
mindhack wrote:8. The legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

This is a serious omission in my Zelda experience... I understood it was just a different version of Ocarina of Time, but it's been mentioned more than once now. Perhaps I should give it a look... :ask:

I've never had the opportunity to enjoy Ocarina of Time so I can't comment on that, but I really enjoyed playing Majora's Mask. It's certainly worth a try imo :)
(Ignorance --> Mystery) < (Knowledge --> Awe)
mindhack

Name: Van Amerongen
Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#55  Postby LucidFlight » Jan 31, 2013 12:42 pm

Right, here we go...

10. The Hobbit (1982)

Go on an adventure in the imaginary world of The Hobbit by typing sophisticated instructions into a computer, using tiny rubber keys? Yes please! What? I get exquisitely crafted illustrations of many of the locations in the game as well? Excuse me while I exchange my pants for a dry pair. Epic for its time.

Amount of life lost to this game: several weeks.

9. Super Mario Bros. (1985)

After a three-hour session on a friend's NES, I harassed my parents for a month to get an NES, just so I could play this game. Smooth, well-paced, scrolling platform action, colourfully cute graphics, and delightful sounds and iconic soundtrack, with 8 superbly designed worlds fit for a parkour champion. In case you didn't know, heavily tilting your body and lifting the gamepad into the air doesn't make Mario jump any higher or further than if you simply sat still and pressed the buttons normally.

Amount of life lost to this game: several weeks.

8. Bloodwych (1989)

For some reason, I never played Eye of the Beholder. I played Bloodwych instead, on the Amiga, of course. The idea was the same: first-person view, "3D" dungeon adventure, with point-and-click controls to move forward, back, left, right and turn. Assemble a team of adventurers, RPG-style, and go on a journey through a large map of corridors, rooms, and doors, fighting monsters, casting spells, etc. The most fun was in two-player, split-screen mode. It was one of those rare games where you had to plug in two mice. I remember the "arc-bolt" was a particularly fun weapon/spell to "accidentally" cast. It had the uncanny ability of going around corners and circling around inside a room, going around and around, until it eventually hit something — usually your friend's team of unwitting adventurers as they entered the room. Bwahahaha.

Amount of life lost to this game: a few months.

7. Frontier: Elite II (1993)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbegNmKRZUM[/youtube]

Basically, what Jumbo said:
Jumbo wrote:Frontier Elite 2
No space game (In another series) has replicated the scale of this one yet. If you want to be a pirate you can. Want to be in the Federal Navy..sure. Want to simply trade and make your fortune in huge bulk carriers, Well you can do that too. You can be a bounty hunter or any one of dozens of professions or you can simply explore. And is there ever plenty to explore. Procedural generation meant that there were around 2 billion star systems to explore each with planets to land on (and mine if you wished) or space stations to dock with. An utter classic.

Amount of life lost to this game: several months.

6. Doom (1993)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBUNzaibviM[/youtube]

Legendary FPS. Scary space monsters. Giblets galore. Very satisfying shotgun action — chick chick… boom!

Amount of life lost to this game: a few months.

5. SimCity 4: Deluxe Edition (2003)

The fourth incarnation of the SimCity series. Ermahgerd! Terraforming! Skyscrapers! Transit networks! Highways! Huuuuge cities! Connect cities together! Day/night cycle. Purdy, purdy graphics! Stalk individual Sims! Drive vehicles (with the expansion pack). This game had it all and still does. I'm tempted even now to whip it out and have a wee play.

Amount of life lost to this game: many, many, many months, on and off.

4. Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec (2001)

Is it just me, or are these graphics starting to get really realistic-lookin'? Back in the day when Gran Turismo still had the Seattle circuit, this was the game that helped sell millions of PS2s. Over 150 cars to modify and tune to your heart's content. Great tracks to drive around on, with beautiful scenery and realistic physics. Top-notch driving simulator.

Amount of life lost to this game: many days at a time, over about 18 months.

3. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (2002)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpmDawqOfqs[/youtube]

My favourite of the GTA franchise. Cruising around Miami in a Lamborghini - I mean, uh, Infernus - listening to Flash FM and Wave 103. It doesn't get much better than that. Oh, yeah, and you get to go on missions and blow up stuff, kill people, drive taxis, etc., etc. You know how it is.

Amount of life lost to this game: quite a few months indeed.

2. Quake (1996)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--wgAodsoCg[/youtube]

So, there was Doom, which was great and all. And then, there was Quake, which was even more great. In fact, it was really brilliant. Dark, creepy, with those wonderfully medieval/gothic, dungeon-y levels. Oh the sweet sound of tumbling grenades falling everywhere, blowing up hapless victims who happen to be in the wrong place at the worst possible time. Oh the countless hours, days, and weeks lost, destroying buddies with the super nailgun and rocket launcher. Oh Quad Damage and intense multiplayer carnage!

Amount of life lost to this game: months and months and months, including regular 20-hour marathons and participation in regional LAN competitions.

1. Minecraft (2011)

How does one even begin to talk about Minecraft? Well, imagine living in a world filled with 1-metre cubes of stone, dirt, wood, water, and so on. Now imagine you've just built a house. You turn around, and there's a strange green thing standing there, with what looks like four feet, but no legs. It has a frowny face. It hisses a bit, then explodes. There is a chance that you have now died. Also, there is large hole in the wall you just made and a small crater in the ground. Welcome to Minecraft, survival mode.

Amount of life lost to this game: I'd rather not say. :shifty:
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#56  Postby THWOTH » Jan 31, 2013 1:51 pm

At the end of the last century I enjoyed a goodly period of Road Rash on PS1. Great soundtrack too.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nw_ob0gKR8[/youtube]
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

Name: Penrose

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#57  Postby trubble76 » Feb 01, 2013 11:49 am

Wiðercora wrote:
trubble76 wrote:
Wiðercora wrote:
trubble76 wrote:I don't have time to do a top ten atm but I notice that no-one has mentioned any of the Civ games. You people are dead to me.

The only Civ. game I've played is Civ. V. It's good, but nothing mind-blowing. If I can defeat a horde of Spanish conquistadores with nothing but one unit of Warriors and a city...well...

Now Gal. Civ. II - there's a game with some classy AI.

I bought civ5 and I absolutely hate it, it's just awful. I enjoy Civ4 the most, but I also loved Alpha Centauri.

I'm playing Civ. V right now. DO YOU NOT HATE ME?

No, I pity you. :hugs:
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#58  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Feb 01, 2013 12:58 pm

I have played all of the Civs so far and while I have a great fondness for 2, 5 is pretty good as well. I never really liked 4.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#59  Postby Thommo » Feb 02, 2013 3:47 am

I'm pretty impressed that multiple people have picked Vice City as the best GTA game, I have to agree it was the most atmospheric and the unremitting portrayal of the main character as a murderous monster was more enjoyable to me than the latest incarnations with a more sympathetic lead.
Thommo

Print view this post

#60  Postby LucidFlight » Feb 02, 2013 4:00 am

THWOTH wrote:At the end of the last century I enjoyed a goodly period of Road Rash on PS1. Great soundtrack too.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nw_ob0gKR8[/youtube]

Woah. I totally didn't expect those live-action cut scenes. Is it normal practice to grab a lady from the crowd, throw her across your fuel tank, and ride off like that? Those crazy bikers!
OFFICIAL MEMBER: QUANTUM CONSTRUCTOR CONSCIOUSNESS QUALIA KOALA COLLECTIVE.
LucidFlight
RS Donator

Name: Kento
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games