Top Ten Video Games

What are yours?

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Top Ten Video Games

#61  Postby Ranbi2Delta » Feb 03, 2013 6:53 pm

Don't play a very wide variety of games, so I'll post my current top five. These are the only games I feel are worth playing at the moment.

5. Sim City 4

You get to play mayor of a city. :D Need I say more?

4. Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed

The only good Need for Speed. I spent ages playing this as a kid. Hell of a lot of fun, and it made me a Porsche fan. :D

3. IL-2 Sturmovik 1946

It's not a game. It's the best combat flight sim ever made. Period. Beautifully detailed, extremely realistic, historically accurate and just plain awesome. Highly recommended if you're into combat flight simulation.

2. Battlefield 2 with Project Reality mod

I have so many fond memories of this game. It's the first shooter I ever played. The teamwork aspect is unlike any other shooter I've ever played before. It is far superior to the current Battlefield 3, in my opinion. Project Reality takes the teamwork to another level, and I keep finding myself coming back to this game over and over again. Highly recommended.

1. Flight Simulator X with the PMDG 737 NGX

If you're an aviation nut like me, this 'game' is a no-brainer. It forms a solid platform for realistic add-ons like PMDG's NGX. The NGX is simply the best Flight Sim add-on out there. It's insanely detailed. The aircraft is built from actual Boeing engineering documents, as well as real-life Boeing performance charts, so it flies and functions like the real thing. Every single switch in the cockpit is modeled. And they all work exactly as they do in the real aircraft. If it works like that in the NGX, it works like that in the real aircraft. I could literally walk in to a real Boeing 737-800 and fly it without any difficulty. That's how good this add-on is. It's even a Boeing-certified product. If you're into commercial aviation, get this. Mind you, it will take you a considerable amount of studying real-life Boeing manuals (which come with the NGX) to get you in the air. Trust me, though, it's well worth it.

"Son, you're going to have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both."
Ranbi2Delta

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#62  Postby Jumbo » Feb 04, 2013 2:24 am

Flight Simulator X with the PMDG 737 NGX

Absolutely.

That add on is incredible. I got it late 2011 and in Jan 2012 i got to 'fly' a commercial 737 simulator used to train pilots. Though the latter was considerably more intense FSX meant i knew where everything was,what it did and how and when to use it. I pulled off 3 landings out of 3 attempts in the commercial sim without too much difficulty which had i not played FSX or the add on i think would have been far less likely.

IL-2 is a great prop combat sim. I personally prefer Pacific fighters (based on the same engine) due to the setting.The damage modeling and fidelity of the flight models made IL-2 a step above the competition when it came to that sort of flying.
The Feynman Problem-Solving Algorithm

1. Write down the problem.
2. Think very hard.
3. Write down the answer.
Jumbo

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#63  Postby Ranbi2Delta » Feb 04, 2013 2:57 pm

Jumbo wrote:FSX meant i knew where everything was,what it did and how and when to use it. I pulled off 3 landings out of 3 attempts in the commercial sim without too much difficulty which had i not played FSX or the add on i think would have been far less likely.

Yeah, hopefully FSX experience with the NGX will help me out when I come to train for my CPL. :D I do wonder, though, if I'll be able to pass a 737NG checkride with just NGX experience. :ask:

IL-2 is a great prop combat sim. I personally prefer Pacific fighters (based on the same engine) due to the setting.The damage modeling and fidelity of the flight models made IL-2 a step above the competition when it came to that sort of flying.

I completely agree, I don't think there's anything by anyone else that can top IL-2.

You should try getting IL-2 1946; the Pacific Fighters campaign and theatre are included in it. It's essentially a compilation of all the IL-2 versions before Cliffs of Dover rolled into a single game. 8-) It has all the eye candy of PF and adds them to the older games. What you end up with is probably the most comprehensive combat flight sim out there: Eastern front, Western Front and Pacific theatre.

There are around 80 flyable planes in total, if I remember correctly, and more on the way with the impending release of patch 4.12, along with a few neat visual as well as simulation tweaks. The latest version of 1946 (4.11.1) includes vastly improved engine simulation and overheat modelling. Now all aircraft have working engine oil temp and radiator temp gauges and proper engine management now adds a whole new dimension to the flying, especially if you play on full difficulty settings. You now have to nurse the engine quite a bit, especially in environments such as North Africa or the Pacific theatre which have a high ambient temperature.

I love flying in Russia during winter time now. :D The freezing temperatures mean that your engine is practically immune to overheating. :lol:
"Son, you're going to have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both."
Ranbi2Delta

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#64  Postby DSpat » Feb 06, 2013 1:27 pm

10 Mount & Blade Warband

9 Crusader Kings 2

8 Football Manager (series)

7 Mass Effect

6 Carmageddon

5 Baldur's Gate 2

4 Civilization

3 Grand Theft Auto 2

2 Half Life

1 Planescape Torment

DSpat

Male

Netherlands (nl)
Print view this post

#65  Postby Wiðercora » Feb 06, 2013 6:50 pm

Ooh, you know what game I loved? Jedi motherfucking Power Battles. That's going on my list. And Blazing Dragons.

They are going on my list so hard.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#66  Postby aban57 » Feb 06, 2013 7:06 pm

Can't believe no one put Flashback in his list
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#67  Postby Matt8819 » Feb 06, 2013 7:52 pm

Minecraft get an honourable mention, too.

Sent from my phone, somehow.
Matt8819
RS Donator

Name: Matt
Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#68  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Feb 07, 2013 1:29 am

Wiðercora wrote:Ooh, you know what game I loved? Jedi motherfucking Power Battles. That's going on my list. And Blazing Dragons.

Oh wow you are one of the few other people I know who knows the game Blazing Dragons, I heard it was even a TV series in England and the US for a short time. Lost so many hours on that game with my PSX, such a fun and funny adventure game.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#69  Postby Wiðercora » Feb 08, 2013 5:22 pm

DarthHelmet86 wrote:
Wiðercora wrote:Ooh, you know what game I loved? Jedi motherfucking Power Battles. That's going on my list. And Blazing Dragons.

Oh wow you are one of the few other people I know who knows the game Blazing Dragons, I heard it was even a TV series in England and the US for a short time. Lost so many hours on that game with my PSX, such a fun and funny adventure game.

Are you kidding, that game was hilarious. I think Terry Gilliam was involved with it.

Ooh, and Hogs of War. Hogs of War is going on my list.
If the unemployed learned to be better managers they would be visibly better off, and I fancy it would not be long before the dole was docked correspondingly.
-- George Orwell

Infrequently updated photo blog.
Wiðercora

Name: Call me 'Betty'.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#70  Postby Animavore » Feb 08, 2013 7:05 pm

aban57 wrote:Can't believe no one put Flashback in his list

I gave it an honourable mention :dunno:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#71  Postby willhud9 » Feb 09, 2013 12:19 am

I would add League of Legends to my honorable mention, but I just can't bring myself to do it...:waah:
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#72  Postby tuco » Feb 09, 2013 6:17 pm

Ordered, roughly, by amount of time, and energy, spent on a game(s).

10. Hidden and Dangerous series - A little different squad based shooter.
9. System Shock 2 - The best game ever!
8. Europa Universalis series - This could be used in history classes.
7. Football Manager series - With some cheating, this goes back to ZX Spectrum.
6. Mass Effect series - No comment.
5. FIFA series - Started on Sega Megadrive.
4. NHL series - Started on Sega Megadrive.
3. XCOM series - Newest installment included.
2. Baldur's Gate series - AD&D on PC at its best.

1. Delta Force 2 - Not a great game by itself, certainly not in single player, but with a bunch of other fanatics (waves @ Herk, Mr Gun, Carbon, IceHawk, Slobba, Humate, kris, NOR and you know who you are) I could hunt pixels for 20 hours a day almost without a need for the so-called real world. First love, nuff said.
tuco

Print view this post

#73  Postby SPMaximus » Feb 10, 2013 11:36 pm

i suck at putting lists like this together, i always forget a bunch of games

Battlefield 1942 - and its 50 million amazing mods
Half-Life franchise - and the mods for it
Rise of Nations - where is my sequel? :(
Age of Empires 2
Counter-Strike/Counter-Strike: Source
Team Fortress 2
Portal 1&2
Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance
Starcraft + expansions
Command & Conquer: Renegade - multiplayer and mods

i missed out on Battlefield 2, bought the "complete collection" and couldnt get it to work for a while so i just set it aside :coffee:

great mods:
BF1942:
Forgotten Hope
Interstate 82
Eve of Destruction
Galactic Conquest
Desert Combat
Battlefield Pirates

Half-Life:
Sven Co-op
Natural Selection
Brainbread
Firearms
Day of Defeat

Half-life 2/Source:
Dystopia
Empires
Eternal Silence
Battlegrounds 2
Fistful of Frags
Zombie Panic
Black Mesa
Garrys Mod

Renegade had a bunch of cool mods but that was ages ago so i dont remember what they were called
and fuck EA/Dice for dumping mod tools, Battlefield is dead :coffee:
:popcorn:
SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#74  Postby tuco » Mar 15, 2013 3:30 pm

Little off topic and little out of date, still ..

OVER 30 years of VIDEOGAMES COLLECTION... The history of VideoGames!!!

Games, Consoles, Controllers, Accessories, Promotional and various items.
-The games count over 6850 pcs. with about 6780 boxed and 70 loose, and are in various format NTSC Japan or Usa and also PAL.
-The consoles are over330, with 307 system boxed and 24 loose, and even in this case we have all the different standards.
-The controllers are about 220 with 167 boxed and 52 loose. I included all the kind of controller, from the simple joypad to the special controller like all the konami bemani to the densha de go train controller, and the arcade joystick as well.
-The accessories are about 185, and in this category I put the ac adapters, the various av cables, the rumble packs, the memory cards, battery packs, the converters for the region locked games, and various other items like screens, printers etc.
-The promo and various items are composed by promotional items like soudtracks or gadgets relate to a specific game or console, demo disc not for sale, limited edition item like the resident evil umbrella box or the Kratos twin blades, various action figures, strategy guides etc.etc.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OVER-30-years-o ... 1c301605e5
tuco

Print view this post

#75  Postby Rumraket » Mar 28, 2013 12:26 pm

My personal top ten of all time, judged through some combination of how much time spent playing, appreciation of game atmosphere, story and so on is:

1. The Legend of Zelda - A link to the past.
Undisputed winner hands down. Still sometimes, maybe once a year, give it a go just to hear the music and feel the nostalgia.
Loved the story, the graphics, the atmosphere, the adventure and exploration of it all.
I got so obsessed with the game I made the sword and shield in my grandfathers workshop/toolshed and spent an entire summer holiday running around in the local woods dreaming I was in some fantasy realm killing monsters and rescuing princesses. :lol:

2. Super Metroid.
Awesome atmosphere and story. In many ways loved the game for the same reasons I loved Zelda, the exploration and adventure kept me coming back. Also had a really nice skillcurve where you could keep getting better at the game and learn the many different trickjumps and shortcuts to take through these.

3. Total Annihilation.
Played a lot of RTS all the way from Dune II, Command&Conquer, Warcraft 1-2-3, Starcraft 1 and 2. Total Annihilation beats them all hands down, especially with later community patches that increased the unit limit and later computers allowed bigger games.

4. Old Unreal / Unreal 1998 (or just Unreal).
Played a lot of first person shooters, all the way from Doom 1 and 2, Quake 1, 2, 3 and 4, All the Unreal and Unreal Tournament games. Well, as with the above games, I think the one that made the biggest impression on me was Unreal 1998 because of it's thick atmosphere, awesome story and large open areas to explore.

5. Quake 1(Quakeworld), then 2, then 3. Unreal Tournament series.
First at local LAN parties, later online FFA, 1v1 deathmatch and 4v4/5v5 team deathmatch. Spend inordinate amounts of time practicing and playing clan games and deathmatches.

6. Half-life 1(including all the various spinoffs, blueshift, opposing force etc.) and Half-Life 2 episodes.
Who doesn't dream about being a theoretical physicist and get an intelligent, down-to-earth and hot girlfriend while rescuing humanity and becoming an intergalactic hero using cool new science gadgets? :lol:
HEADCRAB - WATCH OUT!

7. Natural Selection (Half-life 1 mod).
Got so good at this game together with a friend of mine we were invited to play on the danish national team and got either banned from many servers because they alleged we cheated, or we were told that we couldn't join their servers if we were going to play on the same team. Awesomely intense, thick atmosphere.

8. Counter-strike.
Probably spend at least as much time on this as most of the games above, only real drawback was the horrible netcode and randomness in online play that resulted in many frustrations. Also got very good at this one and was told to stay away from many servers if I wasn't outright banned.

9. World of Warcraft.
Many fond memories. In my opinion, from a gameplay and technical perspective the game has improved since it first launched. The only problem is I've played it so much I've lost interest. Always loved exploration of new areas the most. Nothing can describe the thrill of exploring Darkshore and Ashenvale forest for the first time, all the way back in the classic days.

10. Warcraft 2 and 3, then Starcraft 2, then starcraft 1.
Recently completed Starcraft 2 - Heart of the Swarm and it was awesome. Loved all of these games, with Warcraft 2 and 3 the most probably for nostalgic reasons mostly.
Half-Life 3 - I want to believe
Rumraket

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#76  Postby Matthew Shute » Jun 05, 2013 5:29 pm

10 Lords of Chaos
9 Pirates!
8 Deus Ex
7 Zelda: Ocarina of Time
6 Frontier: Elite II
5 UFO: Enemy Unknown
4 Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
3 Civilisation IV
2 Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
1 Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Favourites that almost made my top ten are too numerous to mention them all, from old classics like Bloodwych to the expanded Medieval II: Total War, where fans had converted it to play the Lord of the Rings campaign... Third Age: Total War.

A game that fascinated me as a kid was Dark Scepter, but I never could figure out the strategy, and the game would always grind to a halt. Anyone played it?
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#77  Postby UndeadDinosaur » Jun 05, 2013 9:24 pm

This is a belated and somewhat arbitrary list based on time investment and possibly rose-tinted spectacles. If I created it again, it would probably be different. Franchises are regarded as one item (which is cheating, yes).

• Command & Conquer series (excluding C&C 4)
  • TES series (Morrowind to Skyrim)
  • Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2
  • Supreme Commander + Forged Alliance
  • Mass Effect series (excluding the conclusion of ME3)
  • Guild Wars 1 & 2
  • Arma series + Operation Flashpoint (the original)
  • Fallout: New Vegas
  • The Witcher series
  • Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War series

I have a lot of nostalgia for old Super Nintendo and Commodore games that I played for hours as a kid (e.g. Pitfall, Hot Wheels, Super Mario World and Final Fantasy VI).

Edit:
Now having scrolled up a bit, I totally neglected to mention to Warcraft III, which might contend for the slot currently occupied by Dawn of War.
"This sudden violent streak of yours is curiously . . . stimulating."

[Gaming Blog] | [Fantasy/Sci-Fi Writing] | [Asylum Discharge] | [Loud Music]
UndeadDinosaur

Male

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Video Games