Ubisoft Downtime

I hope No one is planning to play anything soon.

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Ubisoft Downtime

#1  Postby Wuffy » Feb 03, 2012 8:09 am

PC Uplay down from 7th February.

Ubisoft will start transitioning its online services from next Tuesday, 7th February.

PC games scheduled to go dark include Tom Clancy's HAWX 2, Might & Magic: Heroes 6 and The Settlers 7.

Mac gamers will lose access to Assassin's Creed, Splinter Cell Conviction and The Settlers.

Uplay on PC will fall offline completely, although other PC games not mentioned above will remain playable offline if already connected at least once.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... rs-offline

And by offline, they mean cannot be played. This includes the single player games installed locally to your PC.
Because the Ubisoft DRM requires constant internet just to play the game... So I hope no one wants to play the game they payed for.

By the way if you pirated these, you will have no problem at all. :popcorn:
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Ubisoft Downtime

#2  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 03, 2012 9:14 am

Yup - absolutely absurd.

I won't be buying any more Ubisoft games.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby Jumbo » Feb 03, 2012 9:56 am

What are the odds that people who downloaded illegal copied won't have to put up with this since the DRM will have been removed?

While i have used Steam to buy a few pieces of DLC for games i find that system rather annoying too. For one its basically shafted the second hand games market for quite a few games. Even if you have bought a game legally second hand and the prior owner has de-registered it if there is an issue with you authenticating it via steam they will refuse point blank to resolve any issue if the game is not bought new.

Secondly i spend about 25 minutes with the steam client doing some updates the other night (the results of which seem invisible to me) all the while being denied access to Fallout:New Vegas which i just wanted to play for a few minutes before bed. Given the game is single player and not online having an online update which isn't even for that game stopping me access it has knocked them even further off my christmas card list.

Ubisoft are not exactly great in this department either. Not only are there the issues in the OP but the copy protection on some of their games is awful. Some of it is essentially in the form of a rootkit which has trashed more than a few peoples DVD drives. Once again though the people utterly unaffected are the ones who got the game via a torrent. Rather than saving games from being copied some of these systems are promoting such activity for people who simply want to play the games they would have paid for.
The Feynman Problem-Solving Algorithm

1. Write down the problem.
2. Think very hard.
3. Write down the answer.
Jumbo

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Mazille » Feb 03, 2012 10:02 am

I think this is apt, in this context. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... t-Stronger
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Spearthrower » Feb 08, 2012 4:42 am

Udontplay has commenced.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby Wuffy » Feb 08, 2012 6:55 am

Yup, Oh look a game not listed to go down.. has gone down. My "From Dust" which is through steam has to contact Ubisoft before running, so can't Dust despite not being told I couldn't.

Surprise.
Wuffy

Male

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Return to Video Games