Used digital distribution game sales: EU puts the foot down

Digital distribution licences must be able to be re-sold, says EU

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Used digital distribution game sales: EU puts the foot down

#1  Postby Tursas » Jul 03, 2012 6:02 pm

Court of Justice of the European Union: "an author of software cannot oppose the resale of his ‘used’ licences allowing the use of his programs downloaded from the internet".

PDF document of the ruling here (currently unavailable due to server load):
http://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/docs ... 0094en.pdf

Software distributors' EULA claims and tricks to prevent second hand sales of their games (or other software) will not work, as the ruling is deliciously unambiguous (quotes selected by Lo-Ping:)

The exclusive right of distribution of a copy of a computer program covered by such a licence is exhausted on its first sale.

Therefore, even if the licence agreement prohibits a further transfer, the rightholder can no longer oppose the resale of that copy.

The distributor must provide a new download to the new owner:

Therefore the new acquirer of the user licence, such as a customer of UsedSoft, may, as a lawful acquirer of the corrected and updated copy of the computer program concerned, download that copy from the copyright holder’s website.

This seems huge for Steam, Origin, etc. Waiting for their response.
Tursas

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: Used digital distribution game sales: EU puts the foot down

#2  Postby Zwaarddijk » Jul 03, 2012 6:08 pm

!

awesome!
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#3  Postby laklak » Jul 03, 2012 7:36 pm

Excellent ruling.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#4  Postby SPMaximus » Jul 03, 2012 9:29 pm

meh

:popcorn:
:popcorn:
SPMaximus
RS Donator

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#5  Postby tuco » Jul 03, 2012 9:49 pm

Wunderbar

According to a commonly accepted definition, a ‘sale’ is an agreement by which a person, in return for payment, transfers to another person his rights of ownership in an item of tangible or intangible property belonging to him. It follows that the commercial transaction giving rise, in accordance with Article 4(2) of Directive 2009/24, to exhaustion of the right of distribution of a copy of a computer program must involve a transfer of the right of ownership in that copy.

Makes sense.
tuco

Print view this post

#6  Postby Globe » Jul 03, 2012 10:01 pm

Good.
"Justice will be served!
As soon as I can find you a piece that hasn't gone rotten." - Globe

I don't accept sexism, no matter what gender is being targeted with an -ism.
Globe

Female

Spain (es)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Nostalgia » Jul 03, 2012 11:58 pm

:clap:
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#9  Postby tuco » Jul 05, 2012 9:58 pm

Brave new world .. :) It will be interesting to see how this works out. Could even make some people rethink pirating if pricing would be acceptable. I do not agree, however, that publishers are getting ripped off. If product resold was initially purchased as digital download allowing subsequent owners to download it is inevitable from nature of the product itself. If it was on DVD there would not be such problem.
tuco

Print view this post

#10  Postby I'm With Stupid » Jul 06, 2012 4:47 am

Can we expect this to have a knock on effect for other digital media? Music, for example?
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#11  Postby JoeB » Jul 06, 2012 9:18 am

So, can we expect a 'second hand' tab in the steam store where you can sell or 'transfer' your game license to another steam user?
JoeB
RS Donator

Name: Johan
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Jumbo » Jul 06, 2012 10:06 am

JoeB wrote:So, can we expect a 'second hand' tab in the steam store where you can sell or 'transfer' your game license to another steam user?

I hope so.

I have been stung with buying a 2nd hand game only to find the steam key has not been given up. Returning the product for a refund was drawn out because though i couldn't install it the media itself wasn't damaged etc. Steam will not release the key even though i can produce a receipt showing i have bought the game in question (along with the key) because i have bought it from a company that sells 2nd hand games too. They will not help with licence key issues if you buy from ANY retailer that sells 2nd hand games or eBay.
The Feynman Problem-Solving Algorithm

1. Write down the problem.
2. Think very hard.
3. Write down the answer.
Jumbo

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#13  Postby mrjonno » Jul 07, 2012 11:31 pm

Consdering it take millions to write modern software anything that stops a company making 10's of millions will just result in them not being made.

Realistically all software is going to (openly) rented from now on with permanent internet access to use rather than licensing. Basically all games are going to be subscription, basically Diablo 3 without the high start up cost but with a monthly subscription instead. Interesting the technology of graphic card technology is progressing where you are going to have datacentres that can give the equivalent of having your own local graphics card to 1000's of users at the sametime
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Zwaarddijk » Jul 08, 2012 12:07 am

mrjonno wrote:Consdering it take millions to write modern software anything that stops a company making 10's of millions will just result in them not being made.

Realistically all software is going to (openly) rented from now on with permanent internet access to use rather than licensing. Basically all games are going to be subscription, basically Diablo 3 without the high start up cost but with a monthly subscription instead. Interesting the technology of graphic card technology is progressing where you are going to have datacentres that can give the equivalent of having your own local graphics card to 1000's of users at the sametime

That will require some crazy internet infrastructure to be built.
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#15  Postby tuco » Jul 08, 2012 1:19 am

mrjonno wrote:Consdering it take millions to write modern software anything that stops a company making 10's of millions will just result in them not being made.

I am not sure what is going to be made and whatnot, however, renting (a game) is business model I would welcome. When I am satisfied with product, and play it extensively, I pay, and if I do not like product, and play it rarely, I do not have to pay much. In case of Diablo 3 it would be the latter as I am stuck with product which I was not able to make informed opinion about and which, also due to server downtimes, failed to fulfill my expectations.
tuco

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby mrjonno » Jul 08, 2012 11:56 am

I not sure what expectation people expect for a £40 /$60 hour game

10 hours entertainment, 20, 50 , 100?

Personally if I pay £40 for a game and get 20 hours out of its I'm being entertained for £2 per hour which seems reasonable but others may see it differently.

If I was a company renting that game out I would want to ensure I got at least the same amount. I would guess £5 per month wouldnt be enough as you wouldnt get enough people playing for 8 monts or more, suspect its going to nearer £10 per a month which is a bargain if you normally only play a game for 2 months but extremely expensive if you play for years on end
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Video Games