Video game(s) you're playing

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Video game(s) you're playing

#10361  Postby Animavore » Mar 21, 2017 7:25 pm

My main focus is HZD right now, but love what I have played of Nier so far.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#10362  Postby UncertainSloth » Mar 21, 2017 7:49 pm

good, good....yep, looking forward to getting back to horizon so swapped over to nier before hzd really got going...
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” Tolkein
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10363  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 21, 2017 8:16 pm

Anyone ever play Master Of Orion 1 and 2? I'm generally not into strategy games, but these are simple enough that I enjoy them. Is there a modern equivalent?
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10364  Postby UncertainSloth » Mar 21, 2017 8:38 pm

not really my area, and its fairly old itself now, but would something like sins of a solar empire fit the bill?

UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10365  Postby SafeAsMilk » Mar 21, 2017 9:38 pm

Hard to tell from the video because I can't tell what's going on (I'm sure the genre has mutated a lot since the early 90's), but looks like an interesting game. I like the weird evil voiceover :) I'll have to look into it, thanks for the recommendation!
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10366  Postby Thommo » Mar 22, 2017 1:59 am

Nier is... really fucking hard.

Played for 3 hours and have yet to get through the tutorial section on hard difficulty. Doesn't help that the tutorial doesn't explain key moves and the ability to heal, but still the best part of an hour without a save point and multiple enemies that can 1 hit kill you. Wow.
Thommo

Print view this post

#10367  Postby UncertainSloth » Mar 22, 2017 7:49 am

aye, i think the opening has put a few people off and they've whipped it back to the shop/applied for a refund- to get to the last boss, die then find out you're back at the beginning...;)

it's much more straightforward after that and saving opens up almost straight away...
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10368  Postby UncertainSloth » Mar 22, 2017 7:51 am

alternatively, drop the difficulty for the opening then raise once you're past it...unless you're too hardcore for that....:D

wouldn;t surprise me if that unlocked one of the additional endings....
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10369  Postby UncertainSloth » Mar 22, 2017 8:06 am

for anyone interested who hasn;t bought yet...final fantasy 15 is 9.99 in the uk psn store...fucking bargain at that price...my favourite certainly since 12 and probably since ps1...

there's a few other bargains as well, though i haven;t had a chance to dig thoroughly yet...but that's the cream so far...
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10370  Postby UncertainSloth » Mar 22, 2017 9:26 am

and ff15 has disappeared....sounds like another psn cock-up.....
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10371  Postby Thommo » Mar 22, 2017 3:31 pm

I did make it through after another 2 attempts or so. Must have died like six times on the tutorial. :lol:

A bit frustrating at the time, but you get that wonderful "FUCK YEAH" feeling when you pull it off that makes it all worth it. That's what I play challenging games for. I have to admit I did go from being fucking terrible to starting to feel like I get how the game works.

Then I died to a non-hostile antelope right at the start of the proper game.
Thommo

Print view this post

#10372  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 23, 2017 7:30 am

Mass Effect Andromeda is released.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#10373  Postby aban57 » Mar 23, 2017 10:14 am

UncertainSloth wrote:and ff15 has disappeared....sounds like another psn cock-up.....

apparently it was only for PS plus players.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#10374  Postby UncertainSloth » Mar 23, 2017 10:47 am

it was originally down as a further ps plus discount & i saw it as such and some people managed to grab it but they removed the whole listing from the site then relisted as a ps plus discount to £30

i know people that got it, downloaded it and are playing it but are worried the license will be revoked

they may try and pass it off as a flash sale but the 9.99 listing had an expiry of the same date in april as all the other new discounts....
UncertainSloth

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10375  Postby tuco » Mar 23, 2017 8:14 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:Anyone ever play Master Of Orion 1 and 2? I'm generally not into strategy games, but these are simple enough that I enjoy them. Is there a modern equivalent?

Master of Orion ;) - http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/26/ ... ion-review

Have not played MoO but Sins of Solar Empire, especially with Rebellion, is imo excellent. End game is kind of weak, but that goes for probably most of games in this genre. It has decent level of customization (of campaigns/maps), nice graphics, interesting research trees/choices/buildings/units and factions, and pretty good combat.

Another one could probably be Stellaris reviewed here by some members before. Even Homeworld Remastered is good simply because its remaster of epic.
tuco

Print view this post

#10376  Postby Thommo » Mar 24, 2017 8:13 am

Thommo wrote:Makes me sad though, it's the end of an era.

I remember that somehow Mass Effect and Dragon Age origins flew under my radar and I played them both in a glorious few months after buying Mass Effect on platinum on my XBOX. Bioware have definitely jumped the shark now, if both of their flagship series have stumbled as badly as the reviews seem to suggest. DA is getting worse with every installment, and now Mass Effect seems to be following suit.

I feel like eating crow over this after playing the new ME last night after downloading. Loved it. Yeah there are some things that bugged me (seriously, calm the fuck down with the 20th century progressive agenda, why the fuck is SpaceX mentioned?) but there's so much to love. It has the gameplay aspiration of ME1 and ME3 combined in terms of innovation and challenge, a sense of exploration, character development, gameplay diversity and a new beginning and much more that the original Mass Effect aspired to but fell short of.

A few wonky animations, some less than perfect pacing and the odd line of duff dialogue (which admittedly is below what Bioware once did on the writing front, albeit not on the animation front) is a small price to pay. The sound design is mediocre, compared to the original score, but still, this game is so much better than the reviews I've read it's unreal, let alone the ludicrous "user reviews" on Metacritic. This is a great game as far as I can tell. Maybe not a classic like the original ME, but great.
Thommo

Print view this post

#10377  Postby Imp » Mar 24, 2017 8:22 am

The animations are pretty terrible and the UI can be really obtuse. I'm not far enough in it to figure out if I like the characters yet, though.

Mostly I'm worried there aren't enough alien races in the new galaxy.
Even creationism evolves - Mr P (Grizby)
:offtopic:

THWOTH wrote:Devil spawn kitty killer! :mad:
Imp
RS Donator

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#10378  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 24, 2017 1:07 pm

Thommo wrote:

I remember that somehow Mass Effect and Dragon Age origins flew under my radar and I played them both in a glorious few months after buying Mass Effect on platinum on my XBOX. Bioware have definitely jumped the shark now, if both of their flagship series have stumbled as badly as the reviews seem to suggest. DA is getting worse with every installment, and now Mass Effect seems to be following suit.

I feel like eating crow over this after playing the new ME last night after downloading. Loved it. Yeah there are some things that bugged me (seriously, calm the fuck down with the 20th century progressive agenda, why the fuck is SpaceX mentioned?) but there's so much to love. It has the gameplay aspiration of ME1 and ME3 combined in terms of innovation and challenge, a sense of exploration, character development, gameplay diversity and a new beginning and much more that the original Mass Effect aspired to but fell short of.

A few wonky animations, some less than perfect pacing and the odd line of duff dialogue (which admittedly is below what Bioware once did on the writing front, albeit not on the animation front) is a small price to pay. The sound design is mediocre, compared to the original score, but still, this game is so much better than the reviews I've read it's unreal, let alone the ludicrous "user reviews" on Metacritic. This is a great game as far as I can tell. Maybe not a classic like the original ME, but great.

Things I've noticed so far:
(YMMV)
1. Wonky animations.
2. Weird and counterproductive UI design.
3. Flat or subpar voice-acting.
4. Only 3 slottable abilities. Really don't get why they went backwards with this one.
5. No m/m party member options.
6. Ambient/background sound stopping all together at random intervals.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#10379  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 24, 2017 1:14 pm

I disagree, but only in the sense that 2 was worse than 3.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#10380  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Mar 24, 2017 1:16 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:Hard to tell from the video because I can't tell what's going on (I'm sure the genre has mutated a lot since the early 90's), but looks like an interesting game. I like the weird evil voiceover :) I'll have to look into it, thanks for the recommendation!

There's a new MoO, released last year or the year before.
It's simply called Master of Orion.
There's also Endless Space, which is a bit more detailed and varied imo.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games