Video game(s) you're playing

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Video game(s) you're playing

#13121  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 15, 2020 9:26 am

Caved and bought it. Love it, right up to the point where I am now, the Act 1 final boss, which presents a ludicrous difficulty spike.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#13122  Postby Animavore » Feb 15, 2020 12:34 pm

I'm trying not to cave. Juggling Hades, Wonder Boy, Dead Cells, and Bloodstained right now.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#13123  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 15, 2020 6:31 pm

Just finished the second act. after encountering two separate freezes of the game. Trying out a secondary character that's hybrid melee/mage and finding it more challenging and frustrating than the pure melee build of my original character.
Balancing willlpower and rage is quite the task.
Last edited by Thomas Eshuis on Feb 15, 2020 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#13124  Postby SafeAsMilk » Feb 15, 2020 7:12 pm

Working on Shantae: Half Genie Hero right now. As much as I complain about 2.5D, this game looks really nice. The fact that it starts you from your last save, instead of the last section of the level that you completed, is pretty annoying though. It never seems the case that you're dying because you just barely made it to the next section, it's that the previous section is easy and the next one is hard, so you're stuck playing the easy boring section again. I thought we'd figured out not to do this in 2020.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13125  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 15, 2020 9:39 pm

My hybrid mage character has become a bit more fun to play now I've exchanged all my dps spells with summoning spells.
Now control 3 zombie archers, a golem and can convert one enemy to my side via a poisoning beam.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#13126  Postby Animavore » Feb 15, 2020 10:11 pm

If I were to play this I'd probably go with a mage/ranger.

I am playing it. I caved.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#13127  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 16, 2020 10:11 am

Animavore wrote:If I were to play this I'd probably go with a mage/ranger.

I am playing it. I caved.

:naughty2:
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#13128  Postby Animavore » Feb 16, 2020 10:18 am

I went on to r/wolcen to suggest controller support for the game. They're not taking it well so far.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#13129  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 16, 2020 11:13 am

Animavore wrote:I went on to r/wolcen to suggest controller support for the game. They're not taking it well so far.

Same thing happens to people complaining/criticising the game for any other reason. Seems to be quite the white knight fanclub.

On a positive note though, I've discovered that there are summoner type enemies that will keep summoning when I convert them to my side.
Had a Svirr spawner for a while who'd keep regurgitating a a clutch of svirlings every so often and just now I've converted a cultist who consistently resurrects corpses into shambling zombies.
Basically got a whole army fighting for me now, good fun.

*Bit weird but the game cannot seem to shut down properly. Every-time I've quit the game, whether via the main menu or in-game, I get a 'A crash occurred would you like to sent a report' pop-up. Doesn't seem to affect my save/game in any way though.
Last edited by Thomas Eshuis on Feb 16, 2020 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#13130  Postby Animavore » Feb 16, 2020 11:19 am

Oh no. It's not white knighting. I'm being dog-piled shit on by snobby PC elitists who think such things are for weak, console scrubs.

Funny thing is one of the more helpful types pointed out controller support is coming.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#13131  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 16, 2020 11:22 am

Animavore wrote:Oh no. It's not white knighting. I'm being dog-piled shit on by snobby PC elitists who think such things are for weak, console scrubs.
\
It's funny, I get the exact opposite response, from PC players, when I suggest games like Nioh, Sekiro etc, require better mouse + keyboard support. :lol:

Animavore wrote:Funny thing is one of the more helpful types pointed out controller support is coming.

Good. I'm perfectly fine with the current set-up. But more options is always nice and I've never understood the opposition to it.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#13132  Postby Animavore » Feb 16, 2020 11:42 am

See the thing is I've always played Diablo 3 with controller and can move fluidly. On Worcen I'm finding I have to think about what I'm doing, and I'm fighting muscle memory, which can be fatal if you're on a boss getting swarmed by minions and he's telegraphing atracks at you which need fast reactions to dodge-roll.

I'll probably be used to kb&m by the time support comes.

Having a blast regardless. My build has turrets and lots of ailments. It needs some quality of life fixes (for instance: why is it so hard to pick things up?) and it will be superb.

I find it less tedious than (but as deep as) PoE and more fun than D3. A happy middle ground.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#13133  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 16, 2020 2:20 pm

Animavore wrote:See the thing is I've always played Diablo 3 with controller and can move fluidly. On Worcen I'm finding I have to think about what I'm doing, and I'm fighting muscle memory, which can be fatal if you're on a boss getting swarmed by minions and he's telegraphing atracks at you which need fast reactions to dodge-roll.

I completely understand, as I've experienced the same everytime I played a PC game on a console/with a controller.

Animavore wrote:
I'll probably be used to kb&m by the time support comes.

Having a blast regardless. My build has turrets and lots of ailments. It needs some quality of life fixes (for instance: why is it so hard to pick things up?) and it will be superb.

Agreed on the picking up of stuff. I'd also like it if you could see the buffs that are active one you.

Animavore wrote:I find it less tedious than (but as deep as) PoE and more fun than D3. A happy middle ground.

It's less tedious, but on rare occasions I do find it to be a bit less flexible/deep than PoE. For example; not being able to use spells unless you use a staff or catalyst. Or that, if you're using a melee weapon + gun, you still auto-attack via melee and have to use the 'stand-in-place' key to actually shoot, rather than running up and stabbing.

*Edit. Being able to replace your auto-attack (lmb) with an active skill, is also something I see many people clamour for, myself included.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#13134  Postby Thommo » Feb 16, 2020 2:40 pm

Animavore wrote:Oh no. It's not white knighting. I'm being dog-piled shit on by snobby PC elitists who think such things are for weak, console scrubs.

What's the difference?
Thommo

Print view this post

#13135  Postby Animavore » Feb 16, 2020 3:10 pm

Thommo wrote:

What's the difference?

I would've thought the white knights for a game would be the people who defend at all costs and will hear no criticism.

In this case there was nothing to defend. No criticism was made. It was filed under a request. One which many people seemed to think allowing defiles the very hardcore purity of the game, as if streamlining and accessibility are synonymous with dumbing down.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#13136  Postby Thommo » Feb 16, 2020 3:18 pm

I guess I see what you're saying, but it doesn't seem different to me. Asking for another control method implies the current one isn't perfect, which is a form of criticism. The response is roughly dog piling, white knighting, trolling or just generally being a dickhead. I'm not sure there's any meaningful difference between those, they are all just manifestations of the same desire to be a righteous dickhead.

I think your request is totally fair constructive feedback of course.
Thommo

Print view this post

#13137  Postby DoctorE » Feb 17, 2020 11:33 am

I decided to wait for fix before getting Wolcen.
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

#13138  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Feb 17, 2020 12:21 pm

DoctorE wrote:I decided to wait for fix before getting Wolcen.

Smart choice. Game's been freezing up for me, more and more.
Thomas Eshuis

Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#13139  Postby Animavore » Feb 17, 2020 1:28 pm

I've had no problems with freezes or crashes. Yet.

I started a new melee build and put the mage/ranger on the backburner for now. It's hard to balance rage and magic w hen you're also focusing on just controlling your character. I'll play with this berserker build I'm trying to create until I've gotten to grips with kb&m before returning to the former.

I have a Thor-like hammer so I'm happy enough.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#13140  Postby Briton » Feb 17, 2020 5:45 pm

Thommo wrote:I guess I see what you're saying, but it doesn't seem different to me. Asking for another control method implies the current one isn't perfect, which is a form of criticism. The response is roughly dog piling, white knighting, trolling or just generally being a dickhead. I'm not sure there's any meaningful difference between those, they are all just manifestations of the same desire to be a righteous dickhead.

I think your request is totally fair constructive feedback of course.

With so many people coming to PC gaming from consoles you'd think it would be standard practice to have a controller option for games like this.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games