Video game(s) you're playing

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Video game(s) you're playing

#13381  Postby Animavore » Oct 12, 2020 5:00 pm

Going out of my comfort zone on Grim Dawn and going mage. I usually play a vampiric, dual-wield dex or armoured strenght class. Either way characters who get right into the middle of everything and take hits.

Not sure how to get the most out of this. I hear terms like 'glass-cannon' and 'elemental' being bandied about so I guess I'll just pour most points into intelligence and light them up.

Would one usually concentrate on a single element in such builds or mix it up? I see some items may boost certain elements so build around that? Or am I leaving myself weak against some enemies?

In general.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#13382  Postby arugula2 » Oct 14, 2020 5:27 am

That was my latest install hoping to recapture Diablo 2, but I didn’t get far. I don’t even remember what class I picked.

That and Path of Exile. Plus a half dozen others I’ve never even installed.
arugula

Podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera.
arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#13383  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 14, 2020 1:55 pm

Best thing to recapture Diablo 2 is Diablo 2, I find. I do really like Torchlight 1 and 2, but they've got a different vibe. Haven't tried PoE yet, played a little bit of Titan's quest but was having some screen tearing issues and the text is really small, so didn't get very far. Played a little bit of Grim Dawn, gameplay was fine but while the setting tries to match Diablo it just didn't stack up for me.

Curious to try Wolves Of Midgard at some point, setting seems cool though from what I've read the game part of the game isn't that great.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13384  Postby arugula2 » Oct 14, 2020 6:46 pm

You might want to check out some Van Helsing gameplay. I can't recommend it, as I haven't played more than a few minutes of it (and the reviews are mixed at best) - but it still looks tantalizing to me. I think I got the entire collection from GoG for next to nothing, about a year ago.

Titan Quest was probably my first attempt at D2-like (didn't get far). The first thing that struck me was the movement looked clunky. D2 sprite movements are so on-point! In the last couple years there's been a mobile re-release of TQ, which was buggy as hell... but supposedly fixed now. Haven't gone back to it. One advantage is that on iOS/iPadOS, it was always possible to stream a different audio source in the background.

I hope when the D2 remaster comes out, it doesn't kill the game, like the WC3 remaster. But of course it will.
arugula

arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#13385  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 14, 2020 8:21 pm

Oh shit, Titan's Quest is on ipad? Might have to try that. Recently did an upgrade so I could give the kiddo my old one, I've been playing Disgaea 1 Complete on it and loving the shit out of it. Being able to stop the game in the middle of item world runs is fantastic, though I have had a couple unfortunate crashes.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13386  Postby Animavore » Oct 16, 2020 1:35 am

If you can pull yourself away from the game, why not learn a song from it?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#13387  Postby Alan C » Oct 17, 2020 12:46 am

Witcher III GOTY edition for the first time and Civ VI for the umpteenth time. I've gotten somewhat out of the loop these days, often not getting a game for a while and missing quite a few [e.g. only ever played the original Far Cry]. I have a bunch of games acquired but not touched yet;
GTA V
Borderlands 3
A Piranha Bytes collection from Steam [I had played Gothic 2 & 3]
Galactic Civilizations III

I'll likely pick up Cyberpunk 2077 when it comes out, I think my 3700X/RTX2080 Super will do ok.

Just on Witcher, I realise it's a few years old but the first time I went for a swim I was in awe of the wave effects in choppy water, best looking water I've seen to date.
Lose it - it means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of one's faculties, three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!! - Jack O'Neill
Alan C

Male

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#13388  Postby arugula2 » Oct 23, 2020 1:38 am

gog.png
gog.png (126.67 KiB) Viewed 360 times

GoG giveaway: Europa Universalis 2 for its 20th anniversary. (4 min delay on the screenshot)
arugula

arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#13389  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 24, 2020 1:44 pm

So I picked up Titan Quest for ipad, such a beautiful game but the controls are fucking awful. Why the hell am I using a fake joystick on the screen instead of just tapping where I want to go? Half the time it sticks and it's a gamble whether the special move buttons are going to work. Graphical glitches all over the place, and as far as I can tell no way to adjust the settings. If I could turn off or reduce the quality of shadows it would probably run better. It's a good thing the game is so easy or else this would be a rage quitter. I'm 95% of the way through the game, just need to finish but of course the door out of the city is glitched shut. Give a miss on the ipad version, next playthrough is going to be on PC.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13390  Postby arugula2 » Oct 25, 2020 3:47 am

I don’t think I’ve tried it on iPad yet. I suppose this means they fixed the crashes in the early maps at least... :think: What build did you go for? I think I was playing some kinda necro...
arugula

arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#13391  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 25, 2020 9:19 am

Played 41 hours of the early access of Baldur's Gate 3 and really enjoying it so far.
There's still things I haven't done/discovered yet.
Only major criticisms I have so far, is that Larian has continued their fetish for AoE surface effects from their Divinity Original Sin games and the AI focuses down your weakest characters.
The latter they do, even when they have no good reason to know which of my party is the weakest and to such an extent that they bypass your tanky characters and other party threats to kill your downed squishy wizard or cleric.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#13392  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 25, 2020 12:18 pm

arugula2 wrote:I don’t think I’ve tried it on iPad yet. I suppose this means they fixed the crashes in the early maps at least... :think: What build did you go for? I think I was playing some kinda necro...

They've apparently fixed a lot of things, but unless I'm just doing something wrong it's still janky as fuck. As far as I can tell there's two graphics settings to play with, unlike the full version of the game where you can adjust everything. It's only at the end of the game where there's a lot of crashing, but it doesn't seem related to a specific area. My ipad is brand new and up to date, so it should be able to handle a game from 2006. Disgaea plays just fine with only the rare hiccup. This is my first time playing games on an ipad, so I'm used to games almost never crashing.

I went for hunter/dream, though honestly the hunter is so OP I haven't even bothered putting that many points in dreamer yet. I was fortunate to find a set of items that massively increase the bow's speed and a spear that freezes enemies for a few seconds -- thought it says 10% chance it seems way more frequent. Seems like NG+ is where the actual challenge starts, though it's going to have to wait for me to play through easy all over again.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13393  Postby SafeAsMilk » Oct 25, 2020 12:56 pm

Thomas Eshuis wrote:Played 41 hours of the early access of Baldur's Gate 3 and really enjoying it so far.
Only major criticisms I have so far, is that Larian has continued their fetish for AoE surface effects from their Divinity Original Sin games and the AI focuses down your weakest characters.
The latter they do, even when they have no good reason to know which of my party is the weakest and to such an extent that they bypass your tanky characters and other party threats to kill your downed squishy wizard or cleric.

I prefer AI that goes after your weakest character because that's what you should be doing, and you should have to work to protect them. Trying to permadeath your downed characters seems a bit much, though.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13394  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Oct 25, 2020 10:46 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Thomas Eshuis wrote:Played 41 hours of the early access of Baldur's Gate 3 and really enjoying it so far.

I prefer AI that goes after your weakest character because that's what you should be doing, and you should have to work to protect them.

I don't mind that type of AI, per se.
But in BDG 3, as it currently is, there's no way to protect your weaker party members. Your characters can't block enemy threats 99% of the time and the 1% of instances where they can, every enemy and their grandmother is loaded for bear with ranged AoE, from spells to molotov-like throwables.
And, like I said, currently the AI will go to extreme and irrational lengths to hit your weakest characters, including incurring reaction attacks from my other party members that they're running past to get to their target.

SafeAsMilk wrote: Trying to permadeath your downed characters seems a bit much, though.

There's two ways to resurrect dead characters in the game, but both are rare and expensive, so yes, focusing on downed characters can get annoying pretty fast. Combined with the silliness of ignoring the rest of the party that's still killing them. :naughty2:
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#13395  Postby aban57 » Oct 26, 2020 8:07 am

I'm still playing Genshin Impact, a lot.
Got very much into it, although I'm getting close to the point where I'll need new content.
The resin system (the system that limits the number of actions you can take, like in all gatchas) is being changed a little bit in the newt update, and that's good, but I don't think they're going the right way. The problem is not so much the amount you can store, but the speed at which it replenish.
We'll see how it goes.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#13396  Postby Animavore » Nov 04, 2020 8:24 am

Loving this JPRG. Never heard of Ys before yesterday. Now I'm looking to get Ys 8 and keeping my eye on the next one.

This one is more of an actioner RPG. Some good boss fights.

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#13397  Postby Animavore » Nov 05, 2020 11:41 am

Fans of Xenoblade (aban) should check this one out.

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#13398  Postby aban57 » Nov 05, 2020 2:46 pm

Animavore wrote:Fans of Xenoblade (aban) should check this one out.

I'll look into it, thanks :)
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#13399  Postby SafeAsMilk » Nov 05, 2020 6:41 pm

I played the old ones back in the day when it played like a Zelda knockoff. Been curious about the newer ones, I've got 6 and Origins, but haven't tried them yet because they look kinda generic.
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13400  Postby Animavore » Nov 05, 2020 6:47 pm

They seem to borrow liberally from other JPRGs. The new one coming out in Feb looks like more of the same but with the characters able to transform into superhero-like personas like, em... Persona.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games