Video game(s) you're playing

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Video game(s) you're playing

#13401  Postby SafeAsMilk » Nov 05, 2020 6:53 pm

It's funny, because Ys has probably been around way longer than any of the games it's imitating, I think the first one was '87 or '88. Thanks for bringing it up, might be time for me to finally give them a try!
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#13402  Postby Thommo » Nov 17, 2020 2:59 pm

I've been back to Hades for the first time since full release. There's not that much more content than when I played before, but it still blows me away how good the game is.

Took a few runs to get back into the swing of it, Hell Mode is harder than I remembered somehow (I think I just forgot that I'm not very good at action games and died a lot before), but still 34 runs in I've got to the ending. It was curiously moving. Very satisfying. Still tonnes of objectives and things to tick off, like a 32 heat run. Only managed about 16 so far.

Best game of 2020, I suspect.
Thommo

Print view this post

#13403  Postby Animavore » Nov 23, 2020 10:08 am

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#13404  Postby Animavore » Nov 24, 2020 8:23 pm

It's amazing how a lick of paint and a bit of a polish can make something old seem new again.

Demon's Souls remake is a frame-by-frame remake like Gus Van Sant's Psycho. It is not a remake in the same vein as FFVIIR. If you look at any side-by-side comparison video of the remake and the original they are mechanically the same. The enemies react just the same, their circle of awareness is matched, and how they react when alerted is equal. The weapon animations may look slightly different, with the new one showing more variance and style, but they follow the same arcs and hit boxes and are timed in synchronicity.

Yet somehow the remake feels quite different. For a start it feels easier both in difficulty and execution. The graphically stunning re-skin has made the map handier to navigate with different areas looking distinct from one another. The enemies are clear and pop against the background and at a steady 60 FPS the flow of battle is just so much smoother. Performing a parry and riposte now is like wax on/wax off. The PS5 has the most amazing haptic controller (you really have to try one) and the weight of the different weapons are felt in the resistance of the trigger buttons, and in concert with the ambient sound you can hear and feel enemy presence if you're paying attention.

The UI and menus have had the biggest overhaul making the game more accessible, transparent, and intuitive. NPCs now show body language and moving lips, and you can now create a character that doesn't look like Alice the Goon. This last one seems to have bothered purists the most, and I guess the Souls series has an ugliness that makes it instantly recognisable, but those wretches would've stood out in the Boletaria of Bluepoint's game as freaks.

On top of all this I now get to enjoy the game with a community. By the time I played the original some time after Dark Souls it was a dead game. And with the super fast loading times joining other people's worlds really is hop in and hop out.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#13405  Postby Animavore » Nov 24, 2020 8:42 pm

Astro's Playroom is pre-loaded onto every PS5. It serves as a showcase of the DualSense controller though it's a neat little game in it's own right.

When you begin a bunch of these Astro Bots jump into your controller and you can feel them rattling around inside. I can't find any info on how this all works 'cause so far this sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. When you walk you feel the little feet tap along the underside of the controller and this tap will change depending on the surface you are crossing, whether glass, metal, or turf. When you move through sand you feel it drag and when in mud it sloshes. At one point you get pelted by hail stones and it's like lots of random tiny hammers against your palms. As the wind gusts across the screen the controller ripples that direction and when a piece of debris clocks your bot on the side of the head it feels like the controller has been hit from the side.

tl:dr The controller is probably the most impressive and forward feature of the PS5 and Astro's Playroom showcases it brilliantly.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#13406  Postby arugula2 » Nov 24, 2020 9:22 pm

That controller does sound amazing. :awesome:
arugula

Podrán cortar todas las flores, pero no podrán detener la primavera.
arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#13407  Postby Animavore » Nov 24, 2020 10:37 pm

Said comparison video for DS.

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#13408  Postby arugula2 » Nov 24, 2020 11:09 pm

“Soulsborne”. Interesting term.
arugula

arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#13409  Postby Animavore » Nov 25, 2020 7:22 pm

Created the character I'm going to do my full playthrough of Demon's Souls with. A mage/dex warrior sorceress by the name of Saoirse Ronin.

Geddit? :lol:

:yawn2:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#13410  Postby arugula2 » Nov 25, 2020 7:59 pm

arugula

arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#13411  Postby Animavore » Nov 28, 2020 5:44 pm

I've restarted Demon's Souls for the fourth time trying to find the best character for me. My current one is a strength build named Sir Fuxalot and I just picked up the Hands of God (I've named them Maradona and Henry) which have a faith stat and already I'm thinking about making a warrior priest named Father John Fisty.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#13412  Postby arugula2 » Nov 28, 2020 6:08 pm

What’s the Henry reference?
arugula

arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#13413  Postby arugula2 » Nov 28, 2020 6:12 pm

Jim Sterling on PS5 acquisition.

Sterling on Demon’s Souls.

arugula

arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#13414  Postby Animavore » Nov 28, 2020 6:35 pm

arugula2 wrote:What’s the Henry reference?

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#13415  Postby arugula2 » Nov 28, 2020 7:06 pm

:lol: :cry:
arugula

arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#13416  Postby Challenger007 » Dec 02, 2020 11:36 am

I returned to World of Warcraft for a new expansion. It promises to be interesting and rich, although I have not yet familiarized myself with all the content, I just don't have enough time, and I won't be able to sit for days in the game, otherwise, they will kick me out of the house :lol: I bought a new monitor for my computer and now I just enjoy the gameplay. I bought an LG UltraGear and this review helped me to choose it https://homemakerguide.com/best-gaming- ... under-200/. I was lucky that I came across this site, because I think I could spend more money on the purchase without making a significant difference in quality.
Challenger007

Name: Alex Johnson

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13417  Postby arugula2 » Dec 03, 2020 1:33 am

The 24”, 144Hz? Hadn’t noticed - that price is good. I recently zeroed in on the Asus equivalent (VG24VQ - curved screen) for the nephew, which is the same price, plus a $20 rebate (sold out a day later at my local store).

Staying the hell away from WoW. That time sink is in the past. :lol:
arugula

arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#13418  Postby arugula2 » Dec 12, 2020 1:15 am

Flashback 2018:

switcharoo2.jpg
switcharoo2.jpg (168.23 KiB) Viewed 169 times
arugula

arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#13419  Postby Animavore » Dec 12, 2020 6:41 am

Cyberpunk only has a rating of 2 on Metacritic from PS4 users.
https://www.metacritic.com/game/playsta ... er-reviews

I think CDPR have lost their darling status.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#13420  Postby arugula2 » Dec 12, 2020 7:54 am

Yikes. Well, among the older-gen players anyway. The rest might be split for now, until the patching catches up. Also, iirc, CDPR promised everyone who bought it on 'current' gen a free digital copy on next gen..?
arugula

arugula2

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games