Video game(s) you're playing

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Re: Video game(s) you're playing

#13501  Postby Spearthrower » May 04, 2021 1:17 pm

Animavore wrote:Apparently there's a mod that slows the game to a crawl.

I read about it, but it appears to also have a thousand other changes too. I'd really like to just have the slow-down - even if time was passing very slowly, my god the difference that would make.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#13502  Postby Thomas Eshuis » May 04, 2021 4:23 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
Animavore wrote:
Loads of people are asking for a save feature, which is understandable enough, though there's a group of players completely antagonistic towards this for no good reason.

Some people are so weird about these things, it converts immediately from an option in a game to an indication of the masculinity, penis length and ability to give sexual pleasure.

I looked up about a pause & play function for Anno 1800, and while there are lots of pleas for this function, there's a steady cabal of respondents telling others that it would ruin the game. I don't really understand how it's meant to be credible that the addition of an option like this that lets people choose to do something in their own games ruins the entire single-player game experience for others.

I've encountered similar hostility to requests for PvE servers for Sea of Thieves, some people just can't seem to fathom allowing other people options that differ from their own (leet) style of play.
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#13503  Postby Spearthrower » May 06, 2021 12:17 pm

Farin and farina, may I present you the mighty empire of Mali under the Musa dynasty. Finally got round to playing some CK3 and it all seems to be working out well. Started in ironman with a custom Musa ruler with just fecund and quick, within 3 generations I had hundreds of dynasty members all of them beautiful genius herculeans! Currently closing in on 5000 dynasty members, but there are not many small fish left to gobble - going to have to face down the Byzantine Empire if I want to unite Africa.

Edit: and no, I didn't name my character Ali of Mali :grin: He was born during the reign of his great grandfather who was a bit busy fighting the northern Maghrebi Muslims to keep track of the name of his future heir.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#13504  Postby Animavore » May 07, 2021 8:22 am

Is this Crusader Kings 3?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#13505  Postby Spearthrower » May 07, 2021 2:42 pm

The very same medieval murder and incest simulator.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#13506  Postby Animavore » May 08, 2021 7:27 pm

It's a great game. Though it took me a while to get into it. I never played anything like it so I didn't really know what I was supposed to even be doing at first.

Thought it was funny Ireland is commonly called Tutorial Island on Reddit.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#13507  Postby Spearthrower » May 08, 2021 8:20 pm

Animavore wrote:It's a great game. Though it took me a while to get into it. I never played anything like it so I didn't really know what I was supposed to even be doing at first.

Thought it was funny Ireland is commonly called Tutorial Island on Reddit.

Yeah, it was in CK2 as well.

It's a bit more tricky to play in the larger island of the British isles due to the hordes of ravaging Vikings, the HRE and most of the European continent is just a mess of complicated political alliances, vassals, obligations and shit you need to know to do anything, whereas in Ireland you get to pick a dude, make babies, take over some neighbors and call yourself King.

My first ever game of CK2 was Ireland, I founded it, then played hundreds of years more without expanding or fighting, just slowly infiltrating all the other Christian kingdoms through marriage and spreading the Brian name far and wide!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#13508  Postby Agrippina » May 10, 2021 4:32 am

One of the things I've taken up in my boredom with lockdown, and need to keep myself entertained, is video games.

The one I've enjoyed apart from revisiting the Myst universe which is a little tired now, and that I've worked through for a little over a year is House Flipper on Steam. It's been great fun doing something I really enjoy in real life, on my lap and with the money I get for the houses I flip, being able to splurge on really expensive decorations for the houses. I currently have around R36m in my "bank account" so, having finished the game, I have all the houses available for revisiting and redecorating from scratch. It's great fun if you like doing home repairs. I don't like playing with other players so I need single-player games.

I've just bought Riddle of the Sphinx https://riddleofthesphinx.com should keep me busy for a few weeks while I wait for the luxury house upgrade for House Flipper.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Agrippina

Female

South Africa (za)
Print view this post

#13509  Postby SafeAsMilk » May 11, 2021 12:33 pm

Hello Aggie! Dunno if you remember me, but I certainly remember you, welcome back.

You should check out Stardew Valley if you haven't, it's the premier Harvest Moon/Rune Factory farming clone made by an independent developer. It's hugely popular, my wife was a rabid Harvest Moon fan and now that she's got that sort of game on her phone she can't stop playing!
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13510  Postby aban57 » May 12, 2021 12:24 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:Hello Aggie! Dunno if you remember me, but I certainly remember you, welcome back.

You should check out Stardew Valley if you haven't, it's the premier Harvest Moon/Rune Factory farming clone made by an independent developer. It's hugely popular, my wife was a rabid Harvest Moon fan and now that she's got that sort of game on her phone she can't stop playing!

I concur here, Stardew Valley is amazing.
aban57

Name: Cindy
Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#13511  Postby SafeAsMilk » May 12, 2021 1:51 pm

I love hearing the music and sounds while I'm playing a different game or reading, a lot of the songs remind me of SNES games I played as a kid. There's at least one tune that almost sounds like a straight ode to Chrono Trigger. It's very well done, Concerned Ape must be immensely talented to have done everything.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13512  Postby Animavore » May 12, 2021 7:56 pm

I'm still playing Returnal. Can't even get by the third biome. I don't get it at all. I play all the games on hard and have beaten all the From Software games.

That said, I'm still having a blast playing it. My determination hasn't waned at all. Loving each run.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#13513  Postby Spearthrower » May 13, 2021 12:00 am

Two generations of murder sprees, and both Byzantine and the Hakamid dynasty were too weakened to stop the unification of Africa! I'm surprised there are any Greek royals left considering how many fell out of windows, got bitten by snakes in bed, or eaten by wolves in the wilds.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#13514  Postby aban57 » May 13, 2021 9:20 am

Does Animal Crossing have an exploration/combat side, like Stardew Valley or My Time at Portia, or is it just harvest/social ?
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#13515  Postby Animavore » May 13, 2021 5:44 pm

No combat. Just harvest, collect, build, trade.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#13516  Postby aban57 » May 13, 2021 7:57 pm

Thanks.
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

#13517  Postby Spearthrower » May 13, 2021 11:05 pm

I always feel so brutish and shallow when I admit this to myself, but I just can never feel quite satisfied by a game with no combat.

When Banished came out, I was excited as it's just the kind of game I love - simulated colony./city builder, set in the past, survival-esque element... but the lack of opposing threat, no agent focused on your demise, made it feel like the only goal was to get a bigger number. If trolls were trying to eat my townspeople, or neighboring despots wanted to rape my sheep and plunder my turnip fields, I'd probably still be playing it now.

Ok, it's not entirely true... I love Oxygen Not Included, but in that the environment itself is like the antagonistic predator lurking, biding its time, then leaping and... making one of your dupes suffocate after they stupidly build themself into a corner.

Don't get me wrong here: not saying other people can't or shouldn't enjoy these games, I'm complaining that I can't.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#13518  Postby Animavore » May 14, 2021 8:16 pm

I didn't enjoy Animal Crossing for the very reason. I'm a savage.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#13519  Postby SafeAsMilk » May 14, 2021 10:21 pm

I've always enjoyed games like Sim City and Cities: Skylines. But I did give way more time to Rune Factory than Harvest Moon :think:
SafeAsMilk

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13520  Postby aban57 » May 16, 2021 8:38 pm

Spearthrower wrote:I always feel so brutish and shallow when I admit this to myself, but I just can never feel quite satisfied by a game with no combat.

When Banished came out, I was excited as it's just the kind of game I love - simulated colony./city builder, set in the past, survival-esque element... but the lack of opposing threat, no agent focused on your demise, made it feel like the only goal was to get a bigger number. If trolls were trying to eat my townspeople, or neighboring despots wanted to rape my sheep and plunder my turnip fields, I'd probably still be playing it now.

Ok, it's not entirely true... I love Oxygen Not Included, but in that the environment itself is like the antagonistic predator lurking, biding its time, then leaping and... making one of your dupes suffocate after they stupidly build themself into a corner.

Don't get me wrong here: not saying other people can't or shouldn't enjoy these games, I'm complaining that I can't.

It's my problem too. I like the variation. You can farm one day, explore and fight the next, and decide what you do and when to do it.

I tried Graveyard Digger, but didn't like it much.
aban57

Female

Belgium (be)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games