Video game(s) you're playing

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Video game(s) you're playing

#21  Postby Mac_Guffin » Jun 28, 2010 12:14 am

I'm a big retro gamer. I like all generations, but my favorites are on the SNES.
Right now, I'm playing Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.
Previously, I've only played it at a friend's house when I was, and didn't care much for it. There was too much thinking and searching, but since I'm older, I appreciate it.

So far, I've beat one of the Dark World bosses. I haven't figure out how to get to the next boss. I see where they are, since one of the handmaidens (or whatever she was) pointed them out on the map, but I can't figure out how to release the second water valve. :think:
Mac_Guffin

Name: Christopher
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#22  Postby Kaleid » Jun 28, 2010 1:51 am

Mac_Guffin wrote:I'm a big retro gamer. I like all generations, but my favorites are on the SNES.
Right now, I'm playing Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.
Previously, I've only played it at a friend's house when I was, and didn't care much for it. There was too much thinking and searching, but since I'm older, I appreciate it.

So far, I've beat one of the Dark World bosses. I haven't figure out how to get to the next boss. I see where they are, since one of the handmaidens (or whatever she was) pointed them out on the map, but I can't figure out how to release the second water valve. :think:

I was addicted to that game! If I know Link to the Past, that water dungeon is probably accessible only after a bit of magic mirror trickery (you know how you used it to get to the third dungeon on Spectacle Rock? I think it's something like that; activate a switch in the Light world, or something).

When it comes to retro, I've been going back even further recently, only with a new twist:

http://supermariobroscrossover.com/

A fun flash game that lets you play the original Super Mario Bros NES game with loads of different classic NES characters, including Mega Man, Samus from Metroid, even Link! You get all their moves and their music

"I don't mind if I have to sit on the floor at school. All I want is education. And I am afraid of no one."
- Malala Yousafzai
Kaleid
RS Donator

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#23  Postby Mac_Guffin » Jun 28, 2010 2:14 am

I activated that switch in the light world, and got the water to flow to a certain point... but there are some areas that don't have water.
There was this area in the water duneon that looked like a valve, but I couldn't figure out what to do with it... if I even could do anything with it. :scratch:

Speaking of Mega Man, I love the Megaman X series. Even though I've gotten to a point where I can beat the 1st one very quickly, I still enjoy it.

The 3rd Mario on the NES is the best. It has my favorite power-ups that I don't remember seeing in subsequent games. :(
Mac_Guffin

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#24  Postby Kaleid » Jun 28, 2010 2:32 am

Hmm... guess you're gonna have to try gamefaqs.com or somewhere...

Mega Man 2 was/is one of my favourite games of all time. The Mega Man X series was a lot faster, more action-packed, but lost some of the character, I thought. I am such a sad retro geek, I even check out bands like The Advantage and The NESkimos, who do modern guitar covers of video game music. There's nothing like an overly aggressive guitar cover of a tinny late 80s video game tune to bring a nostalgic tear to your eye :crying:

"I don't mind if I have to sit on the floor at school. All I want is education. And I am afraid of no one."
- Malala Yousafzai
Kaleid
RS Donator

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#25  Postby Mac_Guffin » Jun 28, 2010 2:53 am

I'll probably watch the walkthrough videos on youtube.

Megaman 2 was the best straight-forward Mega Man game, but I prefer the X series. I think I don't feel as nostalgic about the original because I grew up on the X games. :dunno:

I really loved Castlevania on the NES... well, except for the controls. They were annoying as fuck. If I remember correctly, they improved them in the SNES game, but I don't remember playing that one like I played the original.
Sometimes when my brother and I used to have to go to bed or school, and we'd gotten really far, we'd leave it on (There was no save feature. :nono: ), turn the TV off and cover up the liht from the NES with clothes so my mom wouldn't come in and turn it off (and likely bitch about the electricity bill).

Speaking of retro games, have you ever watched The Angry Video Game Nerd videos?
Mac_Guffin

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#26  Postby Kaleid » Jun 28, 2010 3:10 am

Mac_Guffin wrote:I really loved Castlevania on the NES... well, except for the controls. They were annoying as fuck.

Yeah. As if the game wasn't hard enough, it had the controls from hell. I didn't play another one til it came out on the N64 - that was dire :nono:

Mac_Guffin wrote:Speaking of retro games, have you ever watched The Angry Video Game Nerd videos?

Yes! I've only watched one; the original Super Mario Bros one. I'd forgotten his name, and didn't know he'd done more; I think at some point, we've all threatened Mario with diabolical tortures and unending pain for not making that jump :lol: Thanks for reminding me

- Malala Yousafzai
Kaleid
RS Donator

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#27  Postby Mac_Guffin » Jun 28, 2010 3:19 am

I don't think he ever did a Mario video. :scratch:
I think you're talking about another guy who played a harder version of the 1st Mario, and kept getting pissed, but I could be wrong.

I'm talking about this guy:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYDuy7wM8Gk[/youtube]

This is one of his early ones, from 2006. They got a little better later on... then recently, they've gotten a little stale.
Mac_Guffin

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#28  Postby tuco » Jun 30, 2010 3:32 pm

Just a note:

Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/

something they call "Perils of summer sale" June 24 - July 4, where they offer huge discounts on various titles for digital download every 24 hours. Right now it is possible to get Grand Theft Auto 4 for 7,49€ or X-COM pack for 3,74€.

Better late than never :doh:
tuco

Print view this post

#30  Postby LIFE » Jul 13, 2010 5:48 pm

After playing it for quite some hours it seriously needs some patching, full of bugs and dumb AI.
LIFE
Site Admin

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#31  Postby tuco » Jul 13, 2010 5:54 pm

I was just reading favorable review for the demo, by professional reviewer, but comments under her/his article were all negative. So I guess I will have to see for myself. BTW I do not mind bugs, unless they are game-breaking, because .. I dunno I can live with them, and dumb AI is kind of given *shrugs*

The reviewer said it is not an easy game for an impatient gamer, he actually said it is not "hooray action!" lulz I hope it is so!
tuco

Print view this post

#32  Postby LIFE » Jul 13, 2010 6:01 pm

tuco wrote:I was just reading favorable review for the demo, by professional reviewer, but comments under her/his article were all negative. So I guess I will have to see for myself. BTW I do not mind bugs, unless they are game-breaking, because .. I dunno I can live with them, and dumb AI is kind of given *shrugs*

The reviewer said it is not an easy game for an impatient gamer, he actually said it is not "hooray action!" lulz I hope it is so!

Well some bugs are annoying, for instance you're in the middle of a tiresome battle and WINNING and suddenly the AI doesn't move anymore causing the game to halt, not as in freezing but it simply doesn't proceed so you have to restart and replay that fight. Rarely happens but still annoying. And the AI is really, really thick, you can predict almost any move. I really hope they release a patch soon but I'm playing it anyways, it is quite addictive once you've gained enough experience to recruite white wizards and angels :naughty2:
LIFE
Site Admin

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#33  Postby Mac_Guffin » Jul 13, 2010 11:53 pm

In Zelda, I've finally reached Ganon, but haven't gotten past the part where he goes invisible.
Mac_Guffin

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Sityl » Jul 14, 2010 12:07 am

I finally topped $1000 on vegas style draw 3 solitaire.
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'

Sityl

Name: Ser Sityllan Payne
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#35  Postby LIFE » Jul 14, 2010 12:15 am

LIFE
Site Admin

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#36  Postby LIFE » Jul 14, 2010 12:21 am

anthroban wrote:^^Monkey Island?

Yepp, the special edition (new gfx, new score, new voices etc).
LIFE
Site Admin

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#37  Postby HughMcB » Jul 14, 2010 12:23 am

I love Monkey Island! :razz:

Who wants some Grog?! :drunk:
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#38  Postby tuco » Jul 14, 2010 5:24 am

Played the demo, which was gave me just a basic idea as it was too short, read some reviews and comments.

Most favorable review (so far): http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/disci ... iew?page=1
Least favorable review (so far): http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3180366&p=1

Seems most comments are influenced by knowledge, relationship and comparisons to HOMM, King's Bounty and/or previous Disciples, thus containing prejudices I have a hard time to decipher.

Weak AI seems to be on the spot though, then again if it is able to compensate by other means, scripted difficulty for example, it would not have to be too bad. Hard to say how dumb or weak or deplorable actually feels like .. I am downloading the full game off Steam right now :roll:
tuco

Print view this post

#39  Postby Eduard » Jul 15, 2010 6:08 am

X360 Dragon Age: Origins (notso cool after playing Mass Effect 2 and expecting a similar awesome game)

Also X360 Fallout 3: GotY Edition (playing as neutral/evil to get last few achievements)

I want Bayonetta :-(
-Ed

"Together we'll pull through. We are the strong, the brave, the few"
Eduard

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#40  Postby Joe09 » Jul 15, 2010 2:19 pm

Eve Online for me
Joe09

Male