What are some good free games you can get online?

Legal downloads only

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

What are some good free games you can get online?

#1  Postby Mac_Guffin » Apr 14, 2015 4:48 am

Any recommendations?
Mac_Guffin

Name: Christopher
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: What are some good free games you can get online?

#2  Postby Newmark » Apr 14, 2015 7:14 am

Path of Exile. What Diablo 3 should have been ;) Both I and my girlfriend have 1000+ hours logged on that one, and are quite excited for the upcoming expansion (that's also free of course). To be fair, it does have microtransactions, but it doesn't try to force them down your throat. Most of them are cosmetic, and none of them is pay-to-win or hides gameplay behind a pay-wall, but are few are of a practical nature: you can buy more character slots (if 24 isn't enough for you) and you can buy more stash tabs for your characters to store their stuff in, but you can manage with the ones you start with for one or two high level characters (depending on your hoarding tendencies).

Cursed Treasure 2. A good tower defense game with a nice skill tree and well-thought out achievements.

Kingdom of Loathing. If you like old-school adventure games and RPGs and have a really, reallty (I mean REALLY) bad sense of humor, this browser-based MMO-something might be for you. Where else might you slay a Grave Rober at the The Misspelled Cemetary, or combine a 64067 scroll and a 668 scroll to get to the gates?

OpenTTD. The classic Transport Tycoon Delux as open source freeware. It's still one of the best management simulators I've played.

Beneath a Steel Sky. An adventure game from 1994 that you get for free if register at GoG, which is also completely free of charge.

flOw. A small arcade-like game that you can play in you browser or download. If you've played Spore, this is quite similar to the first stage...

Daggerfall. The second game in the Elder Scrolls series, it has quite a bit of a learning curve but can certainly be worth it.

Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft. While not really free if you wish to play a lot or compete in tournaments, you can absolutely have a good time playing it by only spending the currency you earn in-game. It's a dumbed-down version of Magic: the Gathering that lacks quite a bit of depth, but some sacrifices where probably necessary to make it flow better as a computer game.
Newmark

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Fenrir » Apr 14, 2015 7:26 am

Boom beach.

Is a phone game so you can avoid life anywhere anytime.

Has a pay option but that can be happily ignored.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
Fenrir

Male

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (gs)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Briton » Apr 14, 2015 7:50 am

World Golf Tour. A web based game that is free to play.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Sendraks » Apr 14, 2015 10:04 am

There are a few freebies you can download if you have a Good Old Games (GoG) account. Beneath A Steel Sky is one of them, but there are others you get like various Ultima titles.

Tbh - just get a GoG account as there are plenty of decent titles which appear there that cost less than £5 on a regular basis. Right now Planescape Torment is only £2.79 and that's ridiculously good vfm.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby wunksta » Apr 14, 2015 11:50 am

The night is dark and full of terrors...
wunksta

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Mac_Guffin » Apr 14, 2015 7:20 pm

Thanks all. :D
Mac_Guffin

Name: Christopher
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby epepke » Apr 15, 2015 3:06 am

Go to bigfishgames.com for an unlimited supply of games with an hour legal gameplay.
epepke

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby SafeAsMilk » Apr 15, 2015 3:11 am

Sendraks wrote:There are a few freebies you can download if you have a Good Old Games (GoG) account. Beneath A Steel Sky is one of them, but there are others you get like various Ultima titles.

Tbh - just get a GoG account as there are plenty of decent titles which appear there that cost less than £5 on a regular basis. Right now Planescape Torment is only £2.79 and that's ridiculously good vfm.

Just bought that along with Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 and Icewind Dale 1. Never played that era of 3/4 view D&D games. I'm enjoying BG1 right now, though it just crashed on me for some reason. Wineskin :sigh:

But generally yes, GOG rules.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#10  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Apr 15, 2015 3:28 am

Have to agree about GOG, while not many are free they do tend to have special deals every now and then that make one game or another free for a sort time. And even with paying the games are pretty damn cheap for the fun that can be had. They also host a lot of good indie games.

Adventure Game Studio has a page about games (here) that includes a lot of free games made on the program by aspiring game makers. Now not all can be said to be good but there are chunks of pure gold in that mine. Ben304 and Grundislav both have amazing free games as well as amazing games you need to pay for.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby I'm With Stupid » Apr 15, 2015 5:12 am

Yeah, you'll be surprised with what you can get if you open your wallet just a little bit. I got Far Cry 3 at Christmas for $3.97 in the Steam sale.
I'm With Stupid

Male

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Briton » Apr 15, 2015 6:15 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:
Sendraks wrote:There are a few freebies you can download if you have a Good Old Games (GoG) account. Beneath A Steel Sky is one of them, but there are others you get like various Ultima titles.

Just bought that along with Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 and Icewind Dale 1. Never played that era of 3/4 view D&D games. I'm enjoying BG1 right now, though it just crashed on me for some reason. Wineskin :sigh:

You should look into Tutu which allows Baldur's Gate to be played in the Baldur's 2 engine. There's also loads of other mods/enhancements/fixes. The Pocket Plane Group is a good place for info/downloads.

http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Newmark » Apr 15, 2015 6:40 am

Another good place to get games for next-to-nothing is Humble Bundle. At the moment, they have a lot of EA classics bundled, like Mass Effect 2, Medal of Honor and Dragon Age 2.

Speaking of which, if you register for EA's Origin service (which I don't find that great in general), they always have one game for free roughly each month. In the past, I've picked up Dragon Age: Origins, Bejeweled 3, and Theme Hospital (among others) that way.

A couple of other free games that I somehow managed to forget:

Black Mesa. A fan-made port of (most of) the original Half-life in Valve's Source engine. 'nuff said.

Battle for Wesnoth. A great turn based strategy game.
Newmark

Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Matthew Shute » Apr 15, 2015 8:15 pm

SafeAsMilk wrote:

You're in for a treat with BG2, Shadows of Amn. When it comes to that style of RPG, I don't think the game has been bettered, to this day. Good to see it on GOG, reaching a new audience.
"Change will preserve us. It is the lifeblood of the Isles. It will move mountains! It will mount movements!" - Sheogorath
Matthew Shute

Name: Matthew Shute

Antarctica (aq)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Briton » Apr 16, 2015 8:44 am

Matthew Shute wrote:
You're in for a treat with BG2, Shadows of Amn. When it comes to that style of RPG video games, I don't think the game has been bettered, to this day. Good to see it on GOG, reaching a new audience.

FIFY. 8-)

Seriously, I loved BG2 but I replayed Baldur's Gate using the BG2 engine and lots of mods/fixes and I think it gives it's successor a run for it's money.
Briton

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Mazille » Apr 16, 2015 8:53 am

Rock Paper Shotgun had a daily column until recently called "Freeware Garden". There a dude (I think it was a dude) wrote a short review of one free game each day. There must be several dozen of them in the site's archive and some of them are really worth playing, although I can't say I've tried a lot of them.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Sendraks » Apr 16, 2015 9:08 am

Briton wrote:
SafeAsMilk wrote:

You should look into Tutu which allows Baldur's Gate to be played in the Baldur's 2 engine. There's also loads of other mods/enhancements/fixes. The Pocket Plane Group is a good place for info/downloads.

http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/

Yes, definitely worth doing TuTu on the BG series, makes for a more seamless experience. Also check out http://www.gibberlings3.net/ for more great mods.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#18  Postby VazScep » May 17, 2017 7:00 pm

Newmark wrote:Battle for Wesnoth. A great turn based strategy game.
Oh my god, I can't believe I've only just found this. I absolutely love it! The art style is great, and the story-telling is really fun too.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Video Games