What would COD look like if Indies made it?

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

What would COD look like if Indies made it?

#1  Postby Animavore » May 12, 2014 2:10 pm

Ideas on how to give COD a new lease of life from Indie makers.

Call of Duty: Peacekeeper. I'd dump the campaign and focus on creating a much deeper multiplayer, with more opportunities for non-combat play. I'd introduce a third AI team of civilians to muddy the waters and make combat have a more chaotic and stressful feel. I'd also add a fourth class--journalists--who would be playable on your death and who get to document the fights with video, audio and still images…

The 'good guys' would essentially play peacekeepers, and have similar tools like sniffer dogs to find bombs, riot gear, barricades to 'contain' a panicked populace. But I'd be very keen to make sure it all depends on the player's deployment of the tools they're given.

Riffing on that, I'd encourage the "baddy" team to try to disrupt things for the civilians as well as the good guys--bombs, sabotage, etc. The idea being that the bad guys want as much media attention as possible, while the good guys are always trying to bend the rules without being caught on camera so as to cut off the terrorist threat and deny them the attention. This could all make for some amazing emergent gameplay and truly memorable scenarios.

I'd play it.

More here. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/what-w ... 0-6419571/
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: What would COD look like if Indies made it?

#2  Postby Nostalgia » May 12, 2014 2:45 pm

That actually does sound pretty awesome.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Matt_B » May 12, 2014 2:49 pm

"The player is a military contractor working as a remote operator of an unmanned drone aircraft. You begin your day by driving to work and sitting in a server room, watching a video screen and pressing buttons to send commands to the drone. You get 10,000 points for blowing up an enemy militant or military hardware, but be careful because you lose one point if you hit a civilian."

Bennett Foddy (Girp, Qwop)

"I'd do a first person war game from the perspective of a civilian, swept up in events, who doesn't pick up a gun. Protecting your family, avoiding forces on both sides. It'd be an interesting and under-represented perspective on a conflict."

Mike Bithell (Thomas Was Alone, Volume)
Matt_B

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Nostalgia » May 12, 2014 3:02 pm

Matt_B wrote:"The player is a military contractor working as a remote operator of an unmanned drone aircraft. You begin your day by driving to work and sitting in a server room, watching a video screen and pressing buttons to send commands to the drone. You get 10,000 points for blowing up an enemy militant or military hardware, but be careful because you lose one point if you hit a civilian."

:lol:

"I'd do a first person war game from the perspective of a civilian, swept up in events, who doesn't pick up a gun. Protecting your family, avoiding forces on both sides. It'd be an interesting and under-represented perspective on a conflict."

Mike Bithell (Thomas Was Alone, Volume)

Sounds like Children of Men.
We are alive, so the universe must be said to be alive. We are its consciousness as well as our own. We rise out of the cosmos and see its mesh of patterns, and it strikes us as beautiful. And that feeling is the most important thing in all the universe.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#5  Postby minininja » May 12, 2014 5:35 pm

Matt_B wrote:"The player is a military contractor working as a remote operator of an unmanned drone aircraft. You begin your day by driving to work and sitting in a server room, watching a video screen and pressing buttons to send commands to the drone. You get 10,000 points for blowing up an enemy militant or military hardware, but be careful because you lose one point if you hit a civilian."

:evilgrin:

I must admit, I got absolutely sick of most mainstream games. I'll sometimes now buy something well praised from any standard genre every few years to see if anything has really changed. If it hadn't been for the indies and the genuinely creative gameplay they can bring, I'd have given up on gaming completely.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]
minininja

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Thommo » May 12, 2014 8:38 pm

It constantly amazes me how many people bother to bash COD. Some kind of internet-gamer-penis-envy syndrome I think. :cigar:
Thommo

Print view this post

#7  Postby Animavore » May 12, 2014 9:25 pm

Thommo wrote:It constantly amazes me how many people bother to bash COD. Some kind of internet-gamer-penis-envy syndrome I think. :cigar:

I don't see how suggesting improvements is "bashing" :dunno:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby Nostalgia » May 12, 2014 10:05 pm

Thommo wrote:It constantly amazes me how many people bother to bash COD. Some kind of internet-gamer-penis-envy syndrome I think. :cigar:

From what I've seen it's mostly bashing the people who play it (not the ppl who play it casually, but those for whom it's the no. 1 game) and not bashing the actual game itself.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Thommo » May 12, 2014 10:41 pm

MacIver wrote:

From what I've seen it's mostly bashing the people who play it (not the ppl who play it casually, but those for whom it's the no. 1 game) and not bashing the actual game itself.

I don't understand that either!
Thommo

Print view this post

#10  Postby Nostalgia » May 12, 2014 11:17 pm

It comes down to one thing I think - snobbishness.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Nostalgia » May 12, 2014 11:27 pm

Or maybe it should be two things - snobbishness and contrarianism.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Thommo » May 12, 2014 11:32 pm

Well, I suspect I've slightly misunderstimated the comments in the OP, I'm just so used to the COD bashing on The Escapist (I really don't know why I visit that site any more, it's terrible) that I slotted this rather less critical and more playful commentary on COD into the same category. I genuinely don't get it though, if you don't like COD for what it is why not just ignore it? I feel the same about Grand Theft Auto - they've got winning formulas, they don't really need radical revision.
Thommo

Print view this post

#13  Postby Nostalgia » May 13, 2014 4:18 pm

The only COD I've played was the 1st one. I found it to be horrendously scripted - go here, shoot that Nazi, go there, shoot this Nazi... ect.

Never went back to it, mainly as straight-up military FPSs don't hold much appeal for me and I can't do multiplayer.
Nostalgia

Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

Return to Video Games