World of Tanks

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

World of Tanks

#1  Postby Rome Existed » Jan 08, 2012 9:03 am

http://worldoftanks.com/

Free online game with, well, tanks.

Playable tanks are from Germany, Soviet Union, USA and France.

Basically you choose a country and get their starter light tank and from there fight battles, get experience points to upgrade the vehicle until you can get enough to upgrade to a new vehicle. There are light tanks, heavy tanks, tank destroyers and self propelled guns (artillery).

If you like the game you can buy ingame gold and use that to upgrade the free account to a premium account, buy premium tanks, special ammo and a few other things. A premium account doubles your experience and credits from battles.

Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: World of Tanks

#2  Postby chairman bill » Jan 08, 2012 9:34 am

I thought my son might be interested, Then discovered that a) you have download something, and then that the download is an .exe file. So it'll only work under Windoze. Not much of an online game then.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Mazille » Jan 08, 2012 9:46 am

Played it for a couple of weeks, until it started to piss me off that you can buy strength with real money. I'm not going to play a game that does that.
The studio is also working on a game with the same core concept, but with fighter planes from WWII, by the way.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Rome Existed » Jan 08, 2012 10:03 am

Mazille wrote:Played it for a couple of weeks, until it started to piss me off that you can buy strength with real money. I'm not going to play a game that does that.
The studio is also working on a game with the same core concept, but with fighter planes from WWII, by the way.

There's World of Battleships and World of Planes on the way.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Rome Existed » Jan 08, 2012 10:03 am

chairman bill wrote:I thought my son might be interested, Then discovered that a) you have download something, and then that the download is an .exe file. So it'll only work under Windoze. Not much of an online game then.

That's pretty standard.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Mazille » Jan 08, 2012 10:05 am

Rome Existed wrote:
Mazille wrote:Played it for a couple of weeks, until it started to piss me off that you can buy strength with real money. I'm not going to play a game that does that.

Battleships too?
As I said, they would be kinda cool, but I can't stand this "power for money" payment system. I do wonder why not every f2p game does it like League of Legends or TF2. Power for ingame currency, convenience and cosmetics for real money.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Rome Existed » Jan 08, 2012 10:09 am

Mazille wrote:
Rome Existed wrote:

Battleships too?
As I said, they would be kinda cool, but I can't stand this "power for money" payment system. I do wonder why not every f2p game does it like League of Legends or TF2. Power for ingame currency, convenience and cosmetics for real money.

I did buy a premium tank. They're only up to tier 8 though so there's 2 more tiers above them that can kill you. It supports the developers though so I have no problem with it.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#8  Postby chairman bill » Jan 08, 2012 10:28 am

Rome Existed wrote:
chairman bill wrote:I thought my son might be interested, Then discovered that a) you have download something, and then that the download is an .exe file. So it'll only work under Windoze. Not much of an online game then.

That's pretty standard.

Maybe. It's also pretty shit.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby mrjonno » Jan 08, 2012 10:33 am

How easy are you going to fund a game without paying for it.

Subscription/micro payments/ online registration play only is the future of PC games assuming they still have one. Computer game companies are not going to make games where you pay £30/$50 install them on any machine and never have to pay again.

Piracy killed that a long time ago
mrjonno

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Rome Existed » Jan 08, 2012 10:40 am

Paying just a buy fee won't pay for the servers and the constant updates that online games require.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#11  Postby quixotecoyote » Jan 09, 2012 10:25 pm

I tried to play it once, but couldn't find a game that would actually start instead of waiting in the lobby for full load of players.

Sorry, when I decide to play something, I want to play it then, not in 30 minutes when enough random people show up.
quixotecoyote

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Mazille » Jan 09, 2012 10:32 pm

Rome Existed wrote:Paying just a buy fee won't pay for the servers and the constant updates that online games require.

Don't it? Ask the studio behind Guild Wars, which is still going fine and dandy. And is currently setting up to release Guild Wars 2. Both of which don't use a monthly fee. And no micro-transactions as far as I know. Just The initial price for the game and some more money for expansion packs.

Or, now that I think of it: Diablo 2. Or Starcraft. Or Warcraft. (Any of them.) All of those still have shittons of servers running.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Rome Existed » Jan 09, 2012 10:39 pm

Those games all suck.
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Mazille » Jan 09, 2012 10:40 pm

Guild Wars, Diablo 2, every Starcraft and Warcraft suck? Really?

You have disqualified yourself right there.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Rome Existed » Jan 09, 2012 10:46 pm

Of course don't those games mostly run off private servers?
Rome Existed

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#16  Postby Mazille » Jan 09, 2012 10:52 pm

All of those run on private servers too. All of them have the regular servers up and running as well, though.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

Return to Video Games