XBOX reveal. May 21st. 5pm (GMT).

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: XBOX reveal. May 21st. 5pm (GMT).

#501  Postby purplerat » Jul 03, 2013 12:32 pm

apparently there will be an adapter so that 360 headsets will work with xbox one controllers.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/xbox-one-w ... er-6410800

In my experience most 360 gamers who really care about using the headset have a third party unit because the standard MS model is garbage. I'm guessing for those customers the availability of an adapter is preferable over being given a basic headset for free.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#502  Postby Animavore » Jul 03, 2013 1:13 pm

There's so many hilarious XBOX gifs out there.

:rofl:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#503  Postby Mazille » Jul 03, 2013 8:09 pm

purplerat wrote:apparently there will be an adapter so that 360 headsets will work with xbox one controllers.

In my experience most 360 gamers who really care about using the headset have a third party unit because the standard MS model is garbage. I'm guessing for those customers the availability of an adapter is preferable over being given a basic headset for free.

Or, you know, just use a standard jack.
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#504  Postby purplerat » Jul 03, 2013 8:30 pm

Mazille wrote:
purplerat wrote:apparently there will be an adapter so that 360 headsets will work with xbox one controllers.

Or, you know, just use a standard jack.

But it's not a standard port. It actually is a multi-purpose port, not just a headset port. Looking at the new XBox One headset it actually looks like a USB port which may indicate even more devices and/or possible USB headsets.

purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#505  Postby Animavore » Jul 07, 2013 8:57 pm

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#506  Postby Animavore » Jul 11, 2013 1:42 pm

http://smallbusiness.support.microsoft. ... gp/MVPPost

As the owner of a small business, you find great value in your computer and your phone. Between the two of them you are prepped for presentations, up to date on your appointments and able to create documents with relative ease.

However, let me throw another device into that mix: The Xbox One.

What is being positioned as an excellent entertainment device can be just as enticing for you and your small business. In fact, it's entirely justifiable to make the Xbox One a business expense. The Xbox One, priced at $499, is an affordable option for small business owners, as there are many features built into the console that could help it rival even the most modest of video conferencing and networking platforms.

XBox for business? :think:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#507  Postby purplerat » Jul 11, 2013 2:22 pm

I don't see that as a very successful marketing strategy but it's not that far fetched. The combination of high quality and ease of setup/use/support for a XBox based video conferencing setup could certainly be worth it to a small business. It's also not that far fetched that some small business might actually be interested in the gaming/entertainment aspect of the XBox as well.

As a matter of fact I was visiting a media consulting firm just a couple of months ago and the room we met with them in had several gaming systems as well as some table games. Looked like a pretty cool place to work. Ironically when we got into the meeting and I tried to use their conferencing system so that additional people from my office could join in their system failed. I ended up having to join them in via my cell phone on speaker, not exactly ideal. Had they had an XBox One with Skype that would have solved that problem.

At the very least I think I'm going to use this article to make a pitch to my wife that we should get one and write it off as a business expense. She does legitimately run a small business and will be working from home for several months quite conveniently at the same time the XBox One is released.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#508  Postby Animavore » Jul 12, 2013 1:56 pm

What is wrong with people?

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/07/11/f ... e-policies
Fans have started a petition asking Microsoft to restore the Xbox One policies it reversed following E3.

In a petition on change.org, organizer David Fontenot asks Microsoft to “give us back the Xbox One we were promised at E3.”

“This was to be the future of entertainment,” the petition says. “A new wave of gaming where you could buy games digitally, then trade, share or sell those digital licenses. Essentially, it was Steam for Xbox. But consumers were uninformed, and railed against it, and it was taken away because Sony took advantage of consumers uncertainty. We want this back. It can't be all or nothing, there must be a compromise.”
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#509  Postby purplerat » Jul 12, 2013 2:02 pm

Animavore wrote:What is wrong with people?

Fans have started a petition asking Microsoft to restore the Xbox One policies it reversed following E3.

In a petition on change.org, organizer David Fontenot asks Microsoft to “give us back the Xbox One we were promised at E3.”

“This was to be the future of entertainment,” the petition says. “A new wave of gaming where you could buy games digitally, then trade, share or sell those digital licenses. Essentially, it was Steam for Xbox. But consumers were uninformed, and railed against it, and it was taken away because Sony took advantage of consumers uncertainty. We want this back. It can't be all or nothing, there must be a compromise.”

I'd sign that. What's the point (for consumers) of having the PS4 and XBox One essentially being incompatible clones of each other? I was excited to see one company make a bold move towards what it that the future of the industry would be while still having a solid fall back if that didn't work out. Now with MS changes it's just two of the same which is rather boring. Basically which one I would buy would simply come down to which one most of my friends buy and not what features one had over the other.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#510  Postby tuco » Jul 19, 2013 6:47 pm

Watch a demonstration of American and Chinese sign language translation using Kinect and bing translator.

tuco

Print view this post

#511  Postby OnkelCannabia » Jul 20, 2013 10:55 am

purplerat wrote:

I'd sign that. What's the point (for consumers) of having the PS4 and XBox One essentially being incompatible clones of each other? I was excited to see one company make a bold move towards what it that the future of the industry would be while still having a solid fall back if that didn't work out. Now with MS changes it's just two of the same which is rather boring. Basically which one I would buy would simply come down to which one most of my friends buy and not what features one had over the other.

They didn't need the DRM for their system to work. Have a Digital copy with the system they want and a physical copy that works in traditional ways. There are tons of ways to implement such a system. They just wanted to sneak in a DRM and now they are butthurt.
OnkelCannabia

Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#512  Postby Animavore » Jul 20, 2013 11:24 am

OnkelCannabia wrote:
purplerat wrote:

They didn't need the DRM for their system to work. Have a Digital copy with the system they want and a physical copy that works in traditional ways. There are tons of ways to implement such a system. They just wanted to sneak in a DRM and now they are butthurt.

Exactly. Digital copies are already this way on PS3 and XBox. You can't trade your digital copy in. It doesn't even make sense to the medium. It's not like they can sell on the digital copy you traded in second hand.
Digital copies may be the way of the future, but not until they have reasonable prices. Why should I pay €10 more for a digital copy when I can by a hard copy for cheaper plus whatever extra saving I make trading a game in. Hell the last game I bought they had to give [img]me[/img]an extra €5 with the games I traded in.
XBox wanted to completely demolish this form of buy and sell. No wonder people weren't happy.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#513  Postby tuco » Jul 21, 2013 4:18 pm

Animavore wrote:
OnkelCannabia wrote:
purplerat wrote:

Exactly. Digital copies are already this way on PS3 and XBox. You can't trade your digital copy in. It doesn't even make sense to the medium. It's not like they can sell on the digital copy you traded in second hand.
Digital copies may be the way of the future, but not until they have reasonable prices. Why should I pay €10 more for a digital copy when I can by a hard copy for cheaper plus whatever extra saving I make trading a game in. Hell the last game I bought they had to give [img]me[/img]an extra €5 with the games I traded in.
XBox wanted to completely demolish this form of buy and sell. No wonder people weren't happy.

My bold.

-----
Forward to the past

Secondhand sale of software protected, rules European court

[snip]

The court's judgment stated that a software author's exclusive license to distribute a given copy of its product is exhausted with its initial distribution, allowing the owner to then distribute said copy.

[snip]

Microsoft deferred comment to a Business Software Association statement, which stated the ruling disrupts "longstanding consensus that licenses for programs downloaded over the Internet are not transferable."

http://au.gamespot.com/news/secondhand- ... rt-6385463
----

Opinion that digital copies, licences to them respectively, cannot re-sold, licences being transferable, is opinion if not identical to then similar to Business Software Association, and the opposite one like or in sync with a ruling of European court. Fair enough, everyone is entitled to opinion. Personally, when I pay for a product I believe I should be entitled to my rights - to something I paid for thus/and own - regardless of media its being distributed on.

OnkelCannabia wrote:
purplerat wrote:

I am not sure who are they, who is butt-hurt who didn't need DRM for their system, but I will assume that in given context they are Microsoft. If there are tons of ways to implement such system, could we get to see at least a couple of them to get an idea? Note that I am not suggesting there are none nor that the one initially introduced was ideal.

Since none of us were present to negotiations over the initial concept between MS, publishers and distributors (probably and kindly leaving the customers aside) we can only speculate - create fiction. Some might enjoy fiction, interpretations, feelings and whatever subjective translation of reality there could be, but I still do not care about physical media and I still want to exercise my rights to a product I paid for. And that is not mentioning other real or potential benefits, stated in this thread earlier, of digital distribution.

A semi-serious note about pragmatism. I am willing to pay extra €10 for being able to lower my ecological footprint by a bit, for participating on the inevitable in this case and generally called progress, for having various options how to play games bought, lent, borrowed, shared and whatever model digital distribution could offer, but most importantly I am willing to pay extra €10 for not having to put the fucking disk in to the fucking tray. Seriously. Question is if am I able to pay extra €10? Steam Summer Sale TM or simply a tough luck. This stuff does not cost less in China or Africa neither.

This is a mere rant, on repeatedly restated positions, please do take it as such.
tuco

Print view this post

#514  Postby tuco » Jul 23, 2013 7:23 am

Xbox One’s Kinect Will Be Able To Model Games’ Characters Based on Your Looks - http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/07/20/ ... after-you/

---

Xbox One Will Capture Last 5 Minutes Of Gameplay - http://www.gamingreality.com/2013/07/xb ... es-of.html
tuco

Print view this post

#515  Postby tuco » Jul 25, 2013 7:26 pm

Ryse Producer Explains How The Xbox One Game Will Be Different From The E3 Demo

[snip]

When I played Ryse I noticed, that when you fight multiple guys you can just press the A button to block without worrying about the direction an enemy was coming at you. It seemed kind of easy, since you didn’t need to change the direction Marius is facing when it came to blocking.

Michael Read, Producer at Crytek: No. It’s not on this demo specifically. When they come in at a specific range, Marius will go into a combat pose.

It you’d like notice, that’s also on the combat side too. I mean if you have two guys that are spread apart; much in a similar way like [the] Batman [Arkham series]. You are attacking one [enemy]. You know that guy is over there. You push the stick and start hitting him and he [Marius] will charge over to him and hacking him. We are working on the block mechanics.

[snip]

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2013/07/22/ry ... RFHoZVK.99
tuco

Print view this post

#516  Postby mraltair » Jul 25, 2013 8:23 pm

tuco wrote:

Ryse Producer Explains How The Xbox One Game Will Be Different From The E3 Demo

[snip]

When I played Ryse I noticed, that when you fight multiple guys you can just press the A button to block without worrying about the direction an enemy was coming at you. It seemed kind of easy, since you didn’t need to change the direction Marius is facing when it came to blocking.

Michael Read, Producer at Crytek: No. It’s not on this demo specifically. When they come in at a specific range, Marius will go into a combat pose.

It you’d like notice, that’s also on the combat side too. I mean if you have two guys that are spread apart; much in a similar way like [the] Batman [Arkham series]. You are attacking one [enemy]. You know that guy is over there. You push the stick and start hitting him and he [Marius] will charge over to him and hacking him. We are working on the block mechanics.

[snip]

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2013/07/22/ry ... RFHoZVK.99

The important bit from the article:
Pressing X will do your standard swing. Holding X down will do a heavier attack or heavy shield bash, for instance, with the other buttons. You also have shield bash and kick or block and kick.

When you enter into an execution state, we are going to remove the button prompts that you saw in this version. And they are going to be replaced with visual and audio prompts that people are going to have to learn over time. We have like a hundred executions in the game.

They should have just shown a video at E3 instead. My opinion of RYSE has now gone from 'lol that's not a game' to 'meh'.
mraltair

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#517  Postby electricwhiteboy » Jul 26, 2013 10:08 am

Ryse started off as fully Kinect controlled and has been adapted for a normal controller that probably explains why the block was so forgiving. I wasn't that impressed with it to be honest, maybe they'll shake all the issues out... maybe. Why they abandoned the Kinect part of it doesn't fill me with hope for the new Kinect.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#518  Postby Animavore » Jul 26, 2013 2:49 pm

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#519  Postby Mazille » Jul 30, 2013 2:35 pm

Xbox One Accessories Feature Large Price Tags
[...]
There are currently only five Xbox One items on the Microsoft Store: A smattering of controller options, a headset and a one-year Xbox Live Gold subscription card. The card is priced at $60, which is relatively reasonable price for that item. That $60 price point however, is also attached to the Xbox One's standard controller.

[...]

Source
- Pam.
- Yes?
- Get off the Pope.
Mazille
RS Donator

Male

Austria (at)
Print view this post

#520  Postby Ironclad » Aug 08, 2013 9:11 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23613754

Key features of Microsoft's Xbox One console, which is expected to go on sale in November, will only be available with an annual subscription.

The requirement covers recording and sharing of gameplay videos, making Skype video calls and using a service that finds gaming opponents.

An Xbox Live Gold account that currently costs $60 (£40) will be needed for all these features.
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Video Games