XBOX reveal. May 21st. 5pm (GMT).

Computer and console game related chat

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron

Re: XBOX reveal. May 21st. 5pm (GMT).

#601  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Aug 05, 2014 7:26 am

Personally I agree but looking at the current gaming market I don't think the average gamer does.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#602  Postby tuco » Aug 05, 2014 12:16 pm

purplerat wrote:I'm into sports games and I think the absolute best thing for sports games would be if they went to a complete subscription model not too unlike MMOs. While many would balk at that idea at first one of the most hated aspects of sports gaming is the yearly release cycle. It sucks because while the games are under constant development we only get these fragmented releases once per year and near zero compatibility between one release to the next. Plus the desire to get as much done on the next version leaves no room for fixing or updating current titles. A subscription model could alleviate all that but I doubt it's going to happen anytime soon.

Absolutely. Paying every year for what I consider improved but same product full price is ridiculous.

FIFA 15, for example, is not completely new game in comparison to FIFA 14, yet I am asked to pay full price (despite owing FIFA 14, spending hundreds of $ on micro-transactions for in-game players I cant transfer to FIFA 15!) like for new game which was in development for X years by team of Y. Subscriptions or updates would fit me.

One of the problems with sports games is that EA essentially has monopoly thus their policies.
tuco

Print view this post

#603  Postby purplerat » Aug 05, 2014 7:36 pm

tuco wrote:
purplerat wrote:I'm into sports games and I think the absolute best thing for sports games would be if they went to a complete subscription model not too unlike MMOs. While many would balk at that idea at first one of the most hated aspects of sports gaming is the yearly release cycle. It sucks because while the games are under constant development we only get these fragmented releases once per year and near zero compatibility between one release to the next. Plus the desire to get as much done on the next version leaves no room for fixing or updating current titles. A subscription model could alleviate all that but I doubt it's going to happen anytime soon.

Absolutely. Paying every year for what I consider improved but same product full price is ridiculous.

FIFA 15, for example, is not completely new game in comparison to FIFA 14, yet I am asked to pay full price (despite owing FIFA 14, spending hundreds of $ on micro-transactions for in-game players I cant transfer to FIFA 15!) like for new game which was in development for X years by team of Y. Subscriptions or updates would fit me.

One of the problems with sports games is that EA essentially has monopoly thus their policies.

Not to mention that EA manages to even squeeze in a World Cup game in between yearly releases once every 4 years.
purplerat

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#604  Postby tuco » Sep 12, 2014 10:39 am

Microsoft is testing playing Xbox games in your browser

[snip]

Microsoft is testing out playing games in your browser and not just any games. We're talking Xbox games - and not just last-generation titles either. In fact, even Xbox One titles are currently said to be in the works too.

And don’t think this is some watered-down experience; one source told us that he thought the experience was right around 60FPS, while another stated that this is going to be the company’s next killer gaming feature.

[snip]

The implications here are huge for Microsoft as it removes the console from the equation to tap into the gaming market. Also, by off-loading the processing power needed to run these games, it means that they can run on any type of device. Microsoft’s current solution is not browser-locked either; it runs in Chrome as well as it does in Internet Explorer.

It was about this time last year that Microsoft showed off Halo 4 running in the cloud on various devices at the company’s all-employee meeting, and this project is the on-going work from that demo to bring it to more users. Our understanding is that significant progress has been made from that demo and it is now being rolled out to more users.

[snip]

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-is ... ur-browser
tuco

Print view this post

#605  Postby DoctorE » Sep 12, 2014 11:01 am

The giant is waking up :)
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

#606  Postby tuco » Sep 17, 2014 9:08 am

purplerat wrote:I don't see why they couldn't push out new or update engines every couple of years or so with a subscription model. I don't think download sizes are really a concern going forward. It's not like it's really any better on a disc with the new generations. NBA 2K had almost a 50gb install and required a huge download out of the box as it was anyways. Other games are smaller but still several gigs. At least when it's a straight download I still have my disc drive available in case I want to use that while the game is installing.

With the current release cycle the new engines are more times than not disappointing because it's not really feasible to fully develop a complete new engine in a few months. It takes a couple of years or more but publishers aren't going to give up the huge profits of yearly releases to wait for a fully developed engine so what we get is fragmented releases where you get part of a new engine one year, then a bit more the next and so on until you finally have more or less the finished product but then it's already antiquated and needs to be replace. A sub model would allow developers to have longer development cycles while still raking in the money year in and year, offering smaller patches and updates along the way to keep people playing and paying. MMOs do something similar except it's expansion packs and new content that's the focus instead of new engines and features. But sports game developers don't need to create new content or expand their games much since the real world sports they are modeled after does that for them. Instead they can focus on graphical and feature improvements.

The resistance is going to be from people not being able to give up the idea that they are buying the content and owning it themselves. Something that was never really the case in the first place but even more so today is not true. Going forward though people are going to realize that it's as much about how content is being delivered as it is about the content itself. Gaming and entertainment in general is not an investment. So rather than worrying about what you "own" in terms of games it should be about how much entertainment you are getting for your dollar. If a subscription service offers you more entertainment per dollar spent than buying individual copies of games I can't understand why anybody would object to that just because they don't end up with a piece of plastic that they can hold up and say "mine".

I decided to sign up for 1 year of EA Access for $30. FIFA 15 is around the corner and it will give me 10% discount on purchase (I am going digital, no swapping discs for me) and also 10% discount on EA micro-transactions (yeah but I know myself ..). The Vault is not too exciting for me atm (BF4, Need For Speed Rivals, Madden NFL 25 [hockey damn it!] and Peggle 2 and FIFA 14 I purchased already) so I went snooping around net if I could find any rumors about upcoming titles to the Vault. Found nothing but this blog:

The Digital Subscription vs. Ownership Debate

The big success story sweeping the digital landscape is the infamous Netflix business model, which has unwittingly created a long line of copycats who are desperate to imitate their rapid ascent to success in the modern world.

[snip]

Digital Subscription vs. Ownership is a topic that we will continue to debate for the foreseeable future, but ultimately things come and go and although we probably don’t want to admit this, everything is temporary, even our own bodies.

Is it a fools paradise to replace physical media with what is essentially just zeroes and ones?

[snip]

However this is my personal choice, and more than aware of other big questions such as “Can there be an economy in which no one owns anything?” so I am really interested on your own personal experiences and opinions on this controversial subject.

http://neilchughes.com/2014/07/27/the-d ... ip-debate/

---

edit: btw as part of the scheme I should get early access to some games, in this case FIFA 15. 5 days early for 6 hours! lulz? Hello?! Its not like I will wear it down if I play more.
tuco

Print view this post

#607  Postby tuco » Jan 29, 2017 10:14 am

Enabling Xbox One to be accessible for everyone: One important area for us with this release is to enable Xbox One to be able to be used and played by everyone. Take for instance our new Copilot feature which allows two controllers to act as if they were one. This will help make Xbox One more inviting to new gamers needing assistance, more fun by adding cooperative controls for any game and easier for players who need unique configurations to play — whether that is with hands apart, hand and chin, hand and foot, etc..

Read more at https://news.xbox.com/2017/01/23/xbox-c ... IxMbXF6.99

That's awesome.

----

Great day, Scorpio update w/ team. Played my first games on early Scorpio unit. Games played great, console looked right, proud of the team
- https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/82377 ... wsrc%5Etfw

Rumor being its next-gen rather than upgrade.

tuco

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Video Games