An Apology by Richard Dawkins

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Moderators: Blip, The_Metatron, Matt8819, Ironclad

Re: An Apology by Richard Dawkins

#31  Postby natselrox » Feb 28, 2010 8:39 pm

Just to remind ourselves, there are bigger and better things at stake here.
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

Re: From the horses mouth; Collapse of the Richard Dawkins Forum

#32  Postby pensioner » Feb 28, 2010 8:39 pm

Without us peasants shouting and screaming we would never of got that apology. What about all the posts that we have lost? What about some of the members of the forum who have disappeared? How about making a statement to the press to say you were wrong when they quoted you. I will not hold my breath.
There’s class warfare, all right,” said US billionaire Warren Buffett a few years ago, “but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.
pensioner

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#33  Postby jerome » Feb 28, 2010 8:40 pm

starr wrote:
jerome wrote:I have commented to say I accept the apology, but to ask for the restoration of the deleted posts. I can do nothing else: it's a religious duty to me to forgive. Sometimes I really wish I was an atheist...! :grin:

j x

Atheists can forgive too. ;)

I know, I know, I'm not scoring points, I'm joking! :mrgreen:
Yours sincerely, Jerome -- a threat to reason & science

I am an Anglican Prejudice declared - My blog: http://jerome23.wordpress.com/
jerome

Name: CJ
Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#34  Postby Darkchilde » Feb 28, 2010 8:41 pm

I accept the apology by Prof. Dawkins.

I don't know whether I'll contribute to the new discussion area; it seems to me that it will more be like the front page, just extending the writing of articles to various users. I prefer the forum setting, always have; I don't think I've ever even written a comment on the front page anyway.
Darkchilde
RS Donator

Female

Greece (gr)
Print view this post

Re: From the horses mouth; Collapse of the Richard Dawkins Forum

#35  Postby jerome » Feb 28, 2010 8:41 pm

Exactly Pensioner. Still, as I keep saying, I did not have high expectations of RD, so any thing he does for the reparation is a unexpected and welcome to me!

j x

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#36  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Feb 28, 2010 8:41 pm

starr wrote:
jerome wrote:I have commented to say I accept the apology, but to ask for the restoration of the deleted posts. I can do nothing else: it's a religious duty to me to forgive. Sometimes I really wish I was an atheist...! :grin:

j x

Indeed. I even forgave my neighbour for yelling at me after I had eaten her baby.
If I believe in heaven I deny myself a death. Dying keeps me conscious of the way I waste my breath - Cosmo Jarvis
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Name: Dave
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#37  Postby Logicel » Feb 28, 2010 8:42 pm

Apology accepted.
Our civilization is not Christian. It does not come from the skies. It is not a result of "inspiration." It is the child of invention, of discovery, of applied knowledge -- that is to say, of science. Robert Ingersoll
Logicel
RS Donator

Female

Print view this post

Ads by Google

#38  Postby MedGen » Feb 28, 2010 8:42 pm

natselrox wrote:Just to remind ourselves, there are bigger and better things at stake here.

But I don't have a soul! :grin:

Oh and dropping in Batman quotes - not cool nats. ;)
The nature of reality is not subject to the decrees of human institutions

MedGen

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#39  Postby virphen » Feb 28, 2010 8:42 pm

j x

I beat you to making the point on the deleted posts, I hope it doesn't get lost in the flood of "yay, we're all friends again" posts (as much as I like that sentiment).

Is living easy a member here? Can I call him a graceless fuckwit of a troll without sanction, or am I about to get a warning, because he is a graceless fuckwit of a troll.
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#40  Postby alienpresence » Feb 28, 2010 8:42 pm

Tbickle wrote:It's a good start. I'm more excited about this new option though. I give him credit for taking full responsibility and archiving the old one, but his continued defense of Josh is annoying. I think one more apology is needed and it's not from RD.

He says he'll archive afterall his support base is slipping. He'd promise the moon if he you ask him right now. :roll:
To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. - Maximillien Robiespierre

alienpresence

Male

Print view this post

#41  Postby jerome » Feb 28, 2010 8:43 pm

Crocodile Gandhi wrote:
starr wrote:

j x

Indeed. I even forgave my neighbour for yelling at me after I had eaten her baby.

Did you not offer to share with her? How selfish to eat a whole baby on your own! :)

j x

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#42  Postby Katherine » Feb 28, 2010 8:44 pm

jerome wrote:Sometimes I really wish I was an atheist...! :grin:

j x

Well, there's still time during this Lenten period to give up God temporarily and see if you like it.... :mrgreen:

Official Cleaner in Residence

On standby at all times with a bucket of warm soapy water, Cillit Bang, squeegee & mop.

TWITTER: http://twitter.com/Kitty_B_Good
Katherine

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#43  Postby Peter Harrison » Feb 28, 2010 8:44 pm

How about an apology from the site techs for treating everyone like crap and ignoring issues the mods brought up that clearly shouldn't have been ignored?

I'm highly skeptical about the archived forum being searchable. We've asked for 8 months to get search working again and they didn't do it. Here's hoping though.
[c]私は神の存在を信じない。
Twitter: Harrison_Peter
Website
Blog

"We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and by the depth of our answers." - Carl Sagan
Peter Harrison
RS Donator

Name: Peter Harrison
Male

Scotland (ss)
Print view this post

#44  Postby natselrox » Feb 28, 2010 8:45 pm

MedGen wrote:
natselrox wrote:Just to remind ourselves, there are bigger and better things at stake here.

But I don't have a soul! :grin:

Oh and dropping in Batman quotes - not cool nats. ;)

:oops: :lol: (Just joshing around!)
Last edited by natselrox on Feb 28, 2010 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#45  Postby Crocodile Gandhi » Feb 28, 2010 8:45 pm

jerome wrote:
Crocodile Gandhi wrote:
starr wrote:

j x

Did you not offer to share with her? How selfish to eat a whole bay on your own! :)

j x

I asked, but she was too busy screaming. Ungrateful slag.
If I believe in heaven I deny myself a death. Dying keeps me conscious of the way I waste my breath - Cosmo Jarvis
Crocodile Gandhi
RS Donator

Name: Dave
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Ads by Google

#46  Postby jerome » Feb 28, 2010 8:47 pm

It's nice to see InYourFaceNewYorker reminding us she stood loyally by RD throughout this. Us despicable bastard should view her video and hang our heads in shame! :)

jerome

Male

Denmark (dk)
Print view this post

#47  Postby obscured by clouds » Feb 28, 2010 8:48 pm

'If all the grievances that stand between Elves and Dwarves are to be brought up here, we may as well abandon this Council.'
OBC world summer tour! LA ~ May 8, Thrasho De Mayo / Saint Vitus ~ West Coast Tour, Seattle, Protland, SF, LA, San Diego, Las Vegas June 25 - July 1 / July 4th weekend LA / Scotland, Oct? / Come and say hi if you live near! (more TBA)
obscured by clouds

Name: Mr. Obscured By Clouds

Print view this post

#48  Postby Pauline » Feb 28, 2010 8:48 pm

Sounds like his new forum will still be approved threads only - relating to reason and science - which is fair enough. His forum bares his name after all - so he decides what goes there.

But I think the community will be totally lost.

For me I prefer a community with free uncensored discussion - be it serious or frivolous. Decided by the community.

Sod the Oasis - We are a forum...
We have kittens!
Pauline

Female

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#49  Postby alienpresence » Feb 28, 2010 8:50 pm

The most likely reason RDF archives became unsearchable is that posts were being deleted, have been deleted, to save room or something previously. I hope I'm wrong. Some posts, perhaps quite a number, may have disappeared forever.
To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. - Maximillien Robiespierre

alienpresence

Male

Print view this post

#50  Postby Shaker » Feb 28, 2010 8:50 pm

Our old forum contained many excellent discussions on reason and science and related topics, and we certainly don’t want to lose the facility for those. However, it also contained some threads that were potentially harmful to the website’s (and therefore the Foundation’s) reputation. Our goal is to retain the valuable aspects of the old forum, the parts that actively promote the causes for which the website was set up; whilst losing those parts that do not.

This is essentially what led to the Great Purge of '08, and I still find it depressing - patronising and puritanical, and with an eye not on a community of friends but reputation. Sure, there's no problem with a site having an overall ethos and specific goals, but surely to goodness it doesn't have to revolve around that every single second of every single day, without a separate corner for people to chat in about whatever nonsense they like?

If you don't want that sort of thing, I'd suggest you don't have a 'General discussion' or an 'Off-topic' section and then act like a petulant child when people take those titles at face value and discuss generally and chat about off topic things. It rankled then and it rankles now.

Pauline nailed it:
Pauline wrote:For me I prefer a community with free uncensored discussion - be it serious or frivolous. Decided by the community.
Last edited by Shaker on Feb 28, 2010 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To be boosted by an illusion is not to live better than to live in harmony with the truth ... these refusals to part with a decayed illusion are really an infection to the mind. - George Santayana
Shaker

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion