What reason could Muhammed Have for claiming prophethood?

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the mosques...

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Oeditor

Re: What reason could Muhammed Have for claiming prophethood

Post by Oeditor »

ray";p="828155 wrote:Muhammed has been analysied by world's best psychologists and they have concluded that he believed he was telling the truth. He was not lying to others nor to himself. He knew what he said was true. He was quite sincere.
Nor was he lying on a psychiatrist's couch. While the Koran and/or hadiths claim he went up to visit Allah on a horse with a woman's head, I don't think there are any claims of time-travel.
The very reason food is sealed is to keep information out. - Gary Ablett Snr.
cavarka9
Name: prajna

Post by cavarka9 »

ray";p="828155 wrote:
ProudMuslim";p="803639 wrote:
Muhammed [pbuh] was either a prophet or a false prophet right?
It doesn't matter if his intentions were good or not. Either he was a TRUE prophet, or a fake.
My question is, why would he make up being a prophet? For what reason? What would he get out of it?

False prophets have always existed. They did it for power and money.

But Prophet Muhammad was a genuine Prophet whom God chose to deliver final code to humanity.

Muhammed has been analysied by world's best psychologists and they have concluded that he believed he was telling the truth. He was not lying to others nor to himself. He knew what he said was true. He was quite sincere.

These psychologists do not believe him to be prophet sent by God because they do not believe in God. But they admit that Muhammed was not a liar, not was he insane. He was an honest man. He spoke what he believed to be true and he did what he believed to be right.

wow, he was actually analyzed by psychologists?. I thought psychologists needed human beings to be alive and present before them and even then because they are doctors, they would speak with some apprehension and instead not make a proclamation.
Every moment is a choice.Choices you make now determine your destiny.free yourself of old choices made. Success is a journey,not a destination.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Oeditor";p="818460 wrote:As for bad science and loopy sayings in the hadiths, non-muslims should have a look - and a laugh - at Islam Comic Book <NOT SAFE FOR MUSLIMS>http://islamcomicbook.com/</NOT SAFE FOR MUSLIMS> (flagged on account of cartoons of Mo.)

wow! on a scale of 1 to 10 Mo rates 11 on the talking bull shit meter.
Dracena

Post by Dracena »

:coffee: Won't be around for a couple of days; party yesterday and party tomorrow :drunk: :dance:
Agrippina

Post by Agrippina »

:popcorn:
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Vosje

Post by Vosje »

It may also be that the real man and the man described in the holy book are not all the same. The same may be true for characters like Jesus or Moses. The people writing about these icons may be exaggerating events, adding and twisting events, misquoting these people and attributing actions of others to the main character. Did Muhammed claim prophet-hood or did those writing about him make this claim? Did they put words in the guy's mouth perhaps? A victorious warlord may very well twist the facts because he can and no one would dare to challenge his story. Rameses II twisted the accounts of the battle of Kaddesh in his favour, Alexander the Great proclaimed to be the son of Zeus, the Roman emperors aligned themselves with the Roman gods. It's a very common thing to do.
I can say whatever I want. No one listens to me anyway!

The greatness of man lies not in his ability to control everything he sets his sight on, but in his ability to show kindness to all, including those that are not human.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

That, or he really did say all those things because he was taking the piss out of some really thick Arabs. How could they believe such rubbish even back then? How can modern Muslims keep a strait face reading it today?
Shrunk

Post by Shrunk »

I bet ProudMuslim is just thrilled to have ray here to present the Islamic case on her behalf. Maybe you could elaborate on your views of the status of women in Islam for her benefit, ray, since she may not be familiar with these.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Ha ha, I just read in that comic Mo was a white man who dyed his hair red… must have looked like this.

cherries

Post by cherries »

how absurd :dopey:
"Most books on witchcraft will tell you that witches work naked.
This is because most books on witchcraft were written by men."
-Terry Pratchett / Neil Gaiman

A theists for Conservation
jim

Post by jim »

Yeah its absurd, but I already know what I have in mind for next years draw Mohammed day. :think:
I might even be tempted to include his fresh-faced blushing bride.
Father Dougal:
Come on, Ted. Sure it's no more peculiar than all that stuff we learned in the seminary, you know, Heaven and Hell and everlasting life and all that type of thing. You're not meant to take it seriously, Ted!
Shrunk

Post by Shrunk »

I guess we'll just keep bantering pointlessly until some Muslim comes around to answer a few of the many questions that have been left hanging, right?
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Onyx8

Post by Onyx8 »

It's really quite disappointing how they break so easily.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Shrunk

Post by Shrunk »

Onyx8";p="833485 wrote:It's really quite disappointing how they break so easily.

I'm still hoping it's just an easily broken computer that is the issue. ProudMuslim seemed sincere enough and was putting in a good effort.
Onyx8

Post by Onyx8 »

Yes.
The problem with fantasies is you can't really insist that everyone else believes in yours, the other problem with fantasies is that most believers of fantasies eventually get around to doing exactly that.
Dracena

Post by Dracena »

Shrunk";p="833514 wrote:
Onyx8";p="833485 wrote:It's really quite disappointing how they break so easily.

I'm still hoping it's just an easily broken computer that is the issue. ProudMuslim seemed sincere enough and was putting in a good effort.

Her last post was: http://www.rationalskepticism.org/post823605.html#p823605 in this thread on April 28.
I just checked her youtube account and her last activity was 7 hours ago.Sigh.
Agrippina

Post by Agrippina »

I hate it when they leave.
A mind without instruction can no more bear fruit than can a field, however fertile, without cultivation. - Marcus Tullius Cicero (106 BCE - 43 BCE)
Onyx8

Post by Onyx8 »

Too proud.
Dracena

Post by Dracena »

A few days ago I sent a p.m. on youtube asking her if she was coming back and if not then why, this is her reply.

Look, obviously, I can't tell you how the discussions going to go. I'm not going to reply on there anymore because for one , people's lame attempts of being funny are not only annoying but go no where. I might respond then look at what another person responded just to see it's some irrelivant comment like "can't Allah help with that?" I really don't want to waste my time with people who arn't really even interested in discussing the issue. I'm getting my labtop fixed on sunday InshAllah, it still really is not working. That's the reason why I havn't responded. I can't write pages on my cell phone. But during that time, I've come to the conclusion after looking at the website, these people arn't even interested in discussion, just immature sarcasm and jokes. If you hadn't noticed that's why I was interested in responding to Paul, because he looked sincere. I have seen everyones comments.

Second, you might not understand this, but the constant insult of prophet muhammed(pbuh) I find extremely offensive. I would ignore it if it was part of the discussion. For example if it was "..so for that reason he was a pedophile. Does it make him less of one if she was 6 or 9? Not even 11. I find him sick for that...."
not those useless comments like "..I swear I thought she was 11 xD...moslems haha.."
I tried to remain patient and kind regardless. Try to speak good or don't speak at all, so i won't.

Obviously , you guys arn't going to follow these "rules" so I've decided, what's the point? I won't respond to people who arn't serious. I can't force you to be. That's fine, it's your choice, but i don't want to discuss with people like that. Hope you understand. Find another muslim to discuss with who inshAllah is educated and has enough patience to take those constant remarks, I don't. Salam/peace

It's cool if you wanna post this on the forum page. I'll leave my account open.

I'm a bit disappointed because I did inform her of what she could expect by coming here to discuss.
Onyx8

Post by Onyx8 »

She could always just respond to those whom she considers serious as was pointed out and ignore the rest.

She just doesn't have any of the answers.

After all these centuries you would think that these theists would have some answers for the most obvious of problems with their stated beliefs. Have they really had their fingers in their ears for all this time?

ETA Does she allow comments on her youtube channel? Does she edit them?