Is Determinism a Valid Hypothesis?

on fundamental matters such as existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind and ethics.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

DavidMcC
Name: David McCulloch

Re: Is Determinism a Valid Hypothesis?

Post by DavidMcC »

Keep It Real";p="1971879 wrote:Spooky quantum mechanics therefore no determinism smells, looks, feels and generally marches around like bullshit.

That sentence is so badly punctuated that I do'n't know for sure what it means! Please rephrase it in an intelligible way.
May The Voice be with you!
hackenslash
Name: The Other Sweary One
Location: That niggling voice telling you you might be wrong...

Post by hackenslash »

DrWho";p="1975010 wrote:
Keep It Real";p="1971879 wrote:Spooky quantum mechanics therefore no determinism smells, looks, feels and generally marches around like bullshit.

Not being able to find a cause is treated as evidence that there is no such thing - even though it is assumed and useful in all non-QM science.

Actually, it's a bit more subtle than that. In QM realms, it's entirely meaningless to talk of such things as 'cause'. That it's useful in classical science is neither here nor there, not least because of the number of times QM has screwed our puny intuitions over.
DavidMcC

Post by DavidMcC »

hackenslash wrote:
DrWho";p="1975010 wrote:

Not being able to find a cause is treated as evidence that there is no such thing - even though it is assumed and useful in all non-QM science.

Actually, it's a bit more subtle than that. In QM realms, it's entirely meaningless to talk of such things as 'cause'. That it's useful in classical science is neither here nor there, not least because of the number of times QM has screwed our puny intuitions over.

I take it that you have some kind of ESP, by wich you have worked out what the unpunctuated part of KIR's post actually means. To me, it is gibberish - a classic case in which different added puncuations create competely different meanings.
Eg: 1. Spooky QM, (therefore no determinism) smells, ... like bullshit.
2. Spooky QM, therefore no, determinism smells, ... like bullshit.
ughaibu

Post by ughaibu »

DavidMcC";p="1983112 wrote:I take it that you have some kind of ESP, by wich you have worked out what the unpunctuated part of KIR's post actually means.
Hackenslash replied to a post by DrWho.
susu.exp

Post by susu.exp »

ughaibu";p="1983141 wrote:
DavidMcC";p="1983112 wrote:I take it that you have some kind of ESP, by wich you have worked out what the unpunctuated part of KIR's post actually means.

And Dr.Who assumed, that when somebody makes an unparsable statement, it must be in support of his position. Hulk too angry at QM for grammatic...
susu
DavidMcC

Post by DavidMcC »

susu.exp wrote:
ughaibu";p="1983141 wrote:

And Dr.Who assumed, that when somebody makes an unparsable statement, it must be in support of his position. Hulk too angry at QM for grammatic...

R-i-i-g-h-t! :thumbup:
ughaibu

Post by ughaibu »

Fuck you morons, if the question should be addressed to DrWho, address it to that poster.
scott1328
Name: Some call me... Tim

Post by scott1328 »

The question is: would an omniscient being have known that outburst was coming, and if so, should Ughaibu be held responsible for violating the FUA of his own free will? :ask:
ughaibu

Post by ughaibu »

scott1328";p="1983208 wrote:The question is: would an omniscient being have known that outburst was coming, and if so, should Ughaibu be held responsible for violating the FUA of his own free will? :ask:
Nice to see that you've got the equivalence of determinism and omniscience sorted.
scott1328
Name: Some call me... Tim

Post by scott1328 »

ughaibu";p="1983233 wrote:
scott1328";p="1983208 wrote:The question is: would an omniscient being have known that outburst was coming, and if so, should Ughaibu be held responsible for violating the FUA of his own free will? :ask:
Nice to see that you've got the equivalence of determinism and omniscience sorted.

Thank you, too bad you haven't figured out the FUA yet.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Post by SpeedOfSound »

scott1328";p="1983235 wrote:

I think the light from a distant star made him do it. I can't blame him for that. :grin:
ughaibu

Post by ughaibu »

scott1328";p="1983235 wrote:
Of course I've figured out the FUA. Avoiding being banned is not my highest priority.
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Post by SpeedOfSound »

How long is your next vacation going to be for?
ughaibu

Post by ughaibu »

SpeedOfSound";p="1983244 wrote:

How long is your present string of vacuous posts going to continue?
SpeedOfSound
RS Donator

Post by SpeedOfSound »

ughaibu";p="1983245 wrote:
SpeedOfSound";p="1983244 wrote:

How long is your present string of vacuous posts going to continue?

I'm hoping to get finished by the time you get bounced then rest up while you are gone. That's why I'm wondering.
Mr 1

Post by Mr 1 »

I'm fairly ignorant on these matters, but could those putting forward the stochastic side of the argument explain briefly how these principles would have an impact on the OP? I can comprehend the notion that QM does not work in a deterministic way, but I find it hard to get my head around how that exactly affects the cause-and-effect day to day workings of a human being?

My point is; does a stochastic view bring 'free will' anymore into the equation than a deterministic one>
ADParker
RS Donator
Name: Andrew

Post by ADParker »

!
MODNOTE
ughaibu,

This post represents a personal attack and inflammatory posting against certain forum members, in violation of the Forum Users' Agreement.

As such you are hereby awarded a third active warning for inflammatory posting, which comes with a one week suspension.

ADParker

To request clarification or to appeal this decision; email the moderation team at: info@rationalskepticism.org
Members are reminded that suspended members are still afforded full protection under the FUA.
Please do not derail this thread with discussion about moderation.
Reason Over Faith
DavidMcC

Post by DavidMcC »

Mr 1";p="1983484 wrote:I'm fairly ignorant on these matters, but could those putting forward the stochastic side of the argument explain briefly how these principles would have an impact on the OP? I can comprehend the notion that QM does not work in a deterministic way, but I find it hard to get my head around how that exactly affects the cause-and-effect day to day workings of a human being?

My point is; does a stochastic view bring 'free will' anymore into the equation than a deterministic one>

A good question! AFAIK, nobody knows! I surmise that the probabilitic nature of some events at the molecular level in neurons create the possibility of otherwise impossible generation of random signals that don't come from the background of neighbouring neural activity. :dunno:
Mr 1

Post by Mr 1 »

DavidMcC";p="1983653 wrote:A good question! AFAIK, nobody knows! I surmise that the probabilitic nature of some events at the molecular level in neurons create the possibility of otherwise impossible generation of random signals that don't come from the background of neighbouring neural activity. :dunno:

Thanks for that.

Would it be fair to say then that this whole question of QM making the universe stochastic rather than deterministic is actually rather a moot point in regards to the OP? Either people are only influenced deterministically through their environment, genetic influences, etc, or they're influenced by those things as well as stochastic activity in neurons (which presumably then have a deterministic chain affect on the person's actions anyway), but either way it doesn't seem to make a difference in regards to the question of free will and personal responsibility for actions?
Cito di Pense
Name: Amir Bagatelle

Post by Cito di Pense »

Mr 1";p="1983713 wrote:
DavidMcC";p="1983653 wrote:A good question! AFAIK, nobody knows! I surmise that the probabilitic nature of some events at the molecular level in neurons create the possibility of otherwise impossible generation of random signals that don't come from the background of neighbouring neural activity. :dunno:

Thanks for that.

Would it be fair to say then that this whole question of QM making the universe stochastic rather than deterministic is actually rather a moot point in regards to the OP? Either people are only influenced deterministically through their environment, genetic influences, etc, or they're influenced by those things as well as stochastic activity in neurons (which presumably then have a deterministic chain affect on the person's actions anyway), but either way it doesn't seem to make a difference in regards to the question of free will and personal responsibility for actions?

Well, this isn't about determinism and stochasticity nearly as much as it is about positivism and the hope that we can establish answers to ill-formed questions. I mean, sure, you can tell us how important it is to you whether or not it's determinism or stochasticity in the either-or of binarism. Cry me a river.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.