One bang one process.

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

pfrankinstein
Name: paul

Re: Mathematics a universal language.

Post by pfrankinstein »

[quote="pfrankinstein";p="2777878"]Silly of me, I see the problem. Basic words and phrases like 'single process' 'punctuation in that single process', predominantly three chapters of evolution, All that too and fro tree talk too much for you to take.

It's the size of the sample. A single process from bang to now.

Think bigger think better.

You poor things.[/quote]

https://youtu.be/ELKbtFljucQ
pfrankinstein

Post by pfrankinstein »

The evolution I am coming to understand and am attempting to explain troubles me?
Three chapters of EVOLUTION troubles me.
It should be for each thinker to appropriate the primary colours for themselves.
Mine:

Red shift, blue planet, and yellow.

The inspiration to apply the primary colours was yellow.
Greg the Grouper
Name: Patrick

Post by Greg the Grouper »

Is this just Kent Hovind's various stages of evolution, but by someone that took it seriously?
The evolution of intelligence has gone beyond the restrains of biological individual generations.
Spearthrower

Post by Spearthrower »

[quote="pfrankinstein";p="2777878"]Silly of me, I see the problem. Basic words and phrases like 'single process' 'punctuation in that single process', predominantly three chapters of evolution, All that too and fro tree talk in to much to take.[/quote]

Aye, the problem is that you think that a couple of words stacked together has inherent meaning, whereas the way most people use language is to look at what's being signified. In your case, the significance is false, so it doesn't matter what words you use.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Post by Spearthrower »

Something happens and then there's a consequence =/= selection
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Post by Spearthrower »

[quote="Greg the Grouper";p="2777881"]Is this just Kent Hovind's various stages of evolution, but by someone that took it seriously?[/quote]

No, it's not religious nonsense, it's just nonsense.

pfrankinstein

Post by pfrankinstein »

[quote="Spearthrower";p="2777898"][quote="Greg the Grouper";p="2777881"]Is this just Kent Hovind's various stages of evolution, but by someone that took it seriously?[/quote]

No, it's not religious nonsense, it's just nonsense.[/quote]

Not at all religious nonsense.

No religion in the single chain theory.

Any hint of God is purely coincidental.

I'm here like all of us are, for the science.

I assume that you understand basic English.

It is the size and enormity of the sample that throws you sperethrower.

The single process of EVOLUTION that started with the Bb can be divided into three.

Predominantly Three totally different environment s, Domains. Material.

Three chapters.

Do you know what they are thrower?
Spearthrower

Post by Spearthrower »

[quote="pfrankinstein";p="2777946"]
[/quote]

Oh how we laughed.

Spearthrower

Post by Spearthrower »

Science: throwing words, apparently in disdain for the syntactical rules of the English language, into a sentence and declaring yourself right for 15 years to strangers on the internet.

I've clearly had it wrong all these years. Silly me: I thought that scientific methodology was inference to hypothesis to experimentation to theory.

Yet you still can't even present a coherent testable hypothesis.

Lucky science doesn't work the way you think it does, otherwise it would be utterly useless.

hackenslash
Name: The Other Sweary One
Location: That niggling voice telling you you might be wrong...

Post by hackenslash »

[quote="pfrankinstein";p="2777946"]It is the size and enormity of the sample that throws you[/quote]

The size and the enormity?

What's really hilarious is that there are several people in this thread who've been operating on the scale you think is too enormous to contemplate for decades. Or maybe you've missed all the cosmology threads.

You don't have an original idea here, just a trivial observation that science has had in its DNA from the start.
hackenslash

Post by hackenslash »

[quote="Spearthrower";p="2777948"]Yet you still can't even present a coherent testable hypothesis.[/quote]

Remember that discussion we had a while back about limiting statements? Paul's output is a clear case in point.

Near as I can tell, the limiting statement of his brain-fart is that the universe is a stochastic system.

I don't think any phone calls to Stockholm are in Paul's future.
Greg the Grouper
Name: Patrick

Post by Greg the Grouper »

Is it more accurate to refer to something as dynamic when there exists some kind of rule set it must adhere to, but that rule set allows for various possibilities?
The evolution of intelligence has gone beyond the restrains of biological individual generations.
Spearthrower

Post by Spearthrower »

[quote="Greg the Grouper";p="2777975"]Is it more accurate to refer to something as dynamic when there exists some kind of rule set it must adhere to, but that rule set allows for various possibilities?[/quote]

Stochasticism is really a description of probability distributions, whereas for me the term dynamic is saying that the system continuously changes, so they're labeling different factors.

Spearthrower

Post by Spearthrower »

[quote="hackenslash";p="2777974"]Remember that discussion we had a while back about limiting statements? Paul's output is a clear case in point.[/quote]

Aye, Cito's picture up above or in FW's solipsism thread made me chuckle - topic: everything

Certain types of people think that grand statements which have ramifications across endless vistas makes their idea important, whereas it mostly just makes it look untestable.

pfrankinstein

Post by pfrankinstein »

[quote="Spearthrower";p="2777947"][quote="pfrankinstein";p="2777946"]
[/quote]

Oh how we laughed.[/quote]

You've go your formula one, your tractor, off road, on road

All terrain , pick up, bus, coach, lorry.

Human selection emerged from natural selection.

Both are related.

All automobiles evolved from a common ancestor.

Do you see it Unconscious SPECIATION.

Paul
hackenslash

Post by hackenslash »

Automobiles don't reproduce. They don't have ancestors. They have forerunners. Bit of a hole in your dreck, that.

To be fair, though, it's only the holes holding this bollocks together.

Oh, and FYI, human selection IS natural selection.
pfrankinstein

Post by pfrankinstein »

[quote="pfrankinstein";p="2778005"][quote="Spearthrower";p="2777947"][quote="pfrankinstein";p="2777946"]
[/quote]

Oh how we laughed.[/quote]

You've go your formula one, your tractor, off road, on road

All terrain , pick up, bus, coach, lorry.

Human selection emerged from natural selection.

Both are related.

All automobiles evolved from a common ancestor.

Do you see it? Unconscious SPECIATION has occurred.

Paul[/quote]
pfrankinstein

Post by pfrankinstein »

[quote="hackenslash";p="2778006"]Automobiles don't reproduce. They don't have ancestors. They have forerunners. Bit of a hole in your dreck, that.

Oh, and FYI, human selection IS natural selection.[/quote]

Because I see where the descent with modification selection part is in the process, because I also understand that the knowledge of how to make motor cars is stored and passed down through generations , can state that the motor car evolves.

The knowledge is not stored not in DNA, but artificially. So it counts as a different types of EVOLUTION from the scrap you understand, ditty has a chapter all of its own.
pfrankinstein

Post by pfrankinstein »

[quote="pfrankinstein";p="2778008"][quote="hackenslash";p="2778006"]Automobiles don't reproduce. They don't have ancestors. They have forerunners. Bit of a hole in your dreck, that.

Oh, and FYI, human selection IS natural selection.[/quote]

Because I see where the descent with modification selection part is in the process, because I also understand that the knowledge of how to make motor cars is stored and passed down through generations , i can state that the motor car Evolves.

Yes yes yes The knowledge is not stored not in DNA, but artificially. So it counts as a different type of EVOLUTION from single the scrap you understand, ditty has a chapter all of its own.[/quote]
Evolving
Name: Serafina Pekkala

Post by Evolving »

The point about evolution by natural selection is that it provides a mechanism whereby developments can occur (fitting the organism better and better, as the generations pass, to its environment), without the need for a deliberate intervention by any conscious entity. Given enough genetic variation and an environment sufficiently challenging as to create selection pressure, evolution is inevitable; just as, at a beach, given a sufficient incline, sufficiently energetic breakers and a sufficient variety of particles of stone (from the finest sand to the largest pebbles), it’s inevitable that over time those particles will sort themselves into bands, with the finest at the top, the largest at the bottom. Evolution by natural selection explains how the species that we see have been able to emerge (and the disruption caused by the sea, combined with gravity and the ability of pebbles to roll, explains the appearance of the beach), without postulating a designer.

I can see what you mean (I think) in seeing a kind of resemblance between the emergence of better adapted organisms (or better delineated bands of sand and pebbles) on the one hand, and the growth of knowledge useful for constructing better automobiles, and the emergence of those automobiles, on the other. Both developments occur over time through a process of improvement.

But there is no inevitability in that growth of knowledge, in that improvement. There’s no mechanism, no automatic process. At every stage somebody is choosing to use that knowledge, and is choosing the objective for which it’s to be used, and that somebody is the designer (in the broadest sense of that word). This doesn’t explain anything. Knowhow develops through human action, and the products that it’s used for improve over time; well, we knew that already.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley