One bang one process.

Discussions on astrology, homeopathy and superstition etc.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

Spearthrower

Re: One bang one process.

Post by Spearthrower »

Because there are cheekily three types of domain/environment, three different ways of storing information and passing that knowledge on, I propose three different types of evolution.
And we've already educated you that your notion of rocks passing on information is total bollocks. Your insistence otherwise shows that a) you wouldn't recognize a clue if it was having its way with your behind and b) you're full of it.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Evolving
Name: Serafina Pekkala

Post by Evolving »

[quote="hackenslash";p="2780175"]That would be fun to read.

Oh, Paul. You're gonna need this...

Edit: Oh, and there's a technical term for the parameter in that equation denoted S. Just one word. I have a sneaking suspicion that one word has appeared upthread somewhere one or twice...[/quote]

Ooh, ooh, please sir, pick me sir!

Entry - entity - entirety - entomology - oh, er, entelechy - no, sorry, sir, I can't remember. Sorry, sir.
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Cito di Pense
Name: Amir Bagatelle

Re: One ban, one less-mess

Post by Cito di Pense »

Anthropophagy? I think another word for that is "Carnevalism".
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Evolving

Post by Evolving »

"Carnevalism." Sounds like what sounded, to my English ears, like Carn Edison (for example in "Joey" on Dylan's album "Desire").

It appears in a much earlier song too: "But I didn't pay the Carnid bill, So the radio didn't work so well." What's "Carnid", asked this right-of-the-Atlantic person. No idea. It's a mystery.

Listening to American music while knowing nothing at all about America. Problematic.
Cito di Pense

Post by Cito di Pense »

[quote="Evolving";p="2780189"]"Carnevalism." Sounds like what sounded, to my English ears, like Carn Edison (for example in "Joey" on Dylan's album "Desire").

It appears in a much earlier song too: "But I didn't pay the Carnid bill, So the radio didn't work so well." What's "Carnid", asked this right-of-the-Atlantic person. No idea. It's a mystery.

Listening to American music while knowing nothing at all about America. Problematic.[/quote]

Let's put the "carne" (ES) back in Carneval! It's a dog eat dog world. But I guess it's "Carnaval", isn't it? A "carney" is a guy who works on the midway (a fairground, or amusement park). Mark Knopfler sings a few songs about the midway, and Joni MItchell wrote a great, great song about the midway, titled "That Song About the Midway".

Nowadays, you can always look up a lyric you don't hear distinctly. The ones I see here (via google) are apparently at European sites, so the contributors don't always get the vocabulary or spelling right.

You almost have it with "Carn Edison", but the way we see it in print is "Con Edison" short for Consolidated Edison (Con Ed, for shorter), the electric utility (at least in those old days) for the New York (city) area.

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
hackenslash
Name: The Other Sweary One
Location: That niggling voice telling you you might be wrong...

Post by hackenslash »

[quote="Cito di Pense";p="2780191"]Nowadays, you can always look up a lyric you don't hear distinctly.[/quote]

Why would you do that? Mishearing lyrics is almost the most fun you can have with music. :lol:

Never has one guy been kissed by so many.
Cito di Pense

Re: One dang no access

Post by Cito di Pense »

[quote="hackenslash";p="2780192"][quote="Cito di Pense";p="2780191"]Nowadays, you can always look up a lyric you don't hear distinctly.[/quote]

Why would you do that? Mishearing lyrics is almost the most fun you can have with music. :lol:

Never has one guy been kissed by so many.[/quote]

A favorite from the Bard of Hibbing, my misheard lyric was:

"my sensitive manatee has gone down the drain" (from "Not Dark Yet")

Evolving

Post by Evolving »

It's a great song, manatee or no manatee.
Evolving

Post by Evolving »

I realised a long time ago that it was Con Ed. I was talking about back in my yoof.
Cito di Pense

Post by Cito di Pense »

[quote="Evolving";p="2780195"]I realised a long time ago that it was Con Ed. I was talking about back in my yoof.[/quote]

Ah, OK. Yoof has fled. :waah:

[quote="Evolving";p="2780194"]It's a great song, manatee or no manatee.[/quote]

It deserves a cetacean. (credit to hack, there)

hackenslash

Post by hackenslash »

Beware the song of the siren, as Telemachus was warned.
Evolving

Post by Evolving »

Denotes a swiftly travelling fire engine or ambulance.
Evolving

Post by Evolving »

Or a swiftly traveling fire truck. See how I've learned?
Cito di Pense

One harangue

Post by Cito di Pense »

[quote="Evolving";p="2780205"]Or a swiftly traveling fire truck. See how I've learned?[/quote]

I sense a shift in tone. It's deplorable! Doppler-able?

But Mach's sense to me.

newolder
Name: Albert Ross

Post by newolder »

Song to the siren, you say...

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
pfrankinstein
Name: paul

Post by pfrankinstein »

[quote="Spearthrower";p="2780149"][quote="Greg the Grouper";p="2780148"][quote="Spearthrower";p="2780147"][quote="Greg the Grouper";p="2780145"]Would you consider a puppet a tool? It is a device used to perform a certain act, no?[/quote]

Hmm yes: one bang, one process! :mrgreen:[/quote]

I do believe we've solved all of science.[/quote]

Who needs hypotheses, controls, experiments, falsifiability, peer review and all that hard stuff when you can solve all science with a few words typed into a webforum![/quote]

Are you attacking the fertility/impotency of minds in all web forums or just this one RatSkep?

Paul.
Spearthrower

Post by Spearthrower »

[quote="pfrankinstein";p="2780209"][quote="Spearthrower";p="2780149"][quote="Greg the Grouper";p="2780148"][quote="Spearthrower";p="2780147"]

Who needs hypotheses, controls, experiments, falsifiability, peer review and all that hard stuff when you can solve all science with a few words typed into a webforum![/quote]

Are you attacking the fertility/impotency of minds in all web forums or just this one RatSkep?

Paul.[/quote]

I am doing science, according to the clown definition you employ.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Greg the Grouper
Name: Patrick

Post by Greg the Grouper »

[quote="pfrankinstein";p="2780209"][quote="Spearthrower";p="2780149"][quote="Greg the Grouper";p="2780148"][quote="Spearthrower";p="2780147"]

Paul.[/quote]

Personally, I feel free to mock folks like yourself regardless of what internet platform I happen to be browsing.
The evolution of intelligence has gone beyond the restrains of biological individual generations.
Cito di Pense

Post by Cito di Pense »

Paul.[/quote]

The comment is more about those who came up with hypotheses, controls, experiments, observations, and the like. I think you know this, and you know you're not one of these. You may have a valid point about web forums, but there's only a negative in the direction you're going. Some web forums, such as those related to physics and mathematics topics, which are moderated to keep them on track, would send you packing in a few days, if not sooner. You're allowed at RatSkep precisely because you don't have to maintain any particular focus on scientific topics. This thread is in the Pseudoscience sub-forum. Don't forget that. You are right where you belong, and you post here precisely because you are permitted to do so, and not necessarily because you have anything whatsoever to say that's of interest to anyone.

hackenslash

Post by hackenslash »

Paul, I have something for you. Originally motivated by somebody else who had a brilliant idea and no idea how to present it, it's a sort of how-to on getting your groundbreaking theory taken seriously. I decided it was time to polish it off.
We've all done it, I'm sure; leapt out of the bath and run off naked down the street, having solved one of the thorniest problems in philosophy.

OK, maybe we've not all literally done it in the way Archimedes is purported to have done in what's almost certainly an apocryphal tale. Still, over the years, I've encountered many, many examples of people doing the easy bits of Feynman's famous problem-solving algorithm and running off metaphorically to expose their pendulous danglies to the internet at large without doing what Archimedes had done prior to his extra-ablutive excursion and fulfilled the difficult middle step.
Eureka!