Challenges to an Agnostic

Atheism, secularism & freethought etc.

Moderators: kiore, The_Metatron, Blip

User avatar
scherado
Banned Troll
Posts: 284
Joined: Oct 09, 2018 9:44 pm
Country: U. S. A.

Re: Challenges to an Agnostic

Post by scherado »

Cito di Pense";p="2669312 wrote:The way I understand it, some guy on the radio spoke a particular word. For decades, scherado's been thumbing the dictionary to a particular page, not coincidentally, the page on which that word occurs, which explains why the crease in the binding is there. Causality is saved.

That's almost guffaw-worthy. You demonstrated less comprehension than the other guy.
User avatar
Cito di Pense
Posts: 30823
Joined: Feb 26, 2010 5:29 pm
Name: Amir Bagatelle
Country: Nutbush City Limits

Re: Challenges to an Agnostic

Post by Cito di Pense »

scherado";p="2669321 wrote:
Cito di Pense";p="2669312 wrote:The way I understand it, some guy on the radio spoke a particular word. For decades, scherado's been thumbing the dictionary to a particular page, not coincidentally, the page on which that word occurs, which explains why the crease in the binding is there. Causality is saved.

That's almost guffaw-worthy. You demonstrated less comprehension than the other guy.


You're trying to sell me on the idea that something inexplicable happened to you that you want to interpret in a certain way. I don't know what the rest of your life is like when you're not writing nutty stuff in this forum, but be that as it may, you didn't make the sale. Cry me a river.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
User avatar
Hermit
Posts: 4927
Joined: Mar 03, 2010 2:00 am
Name: Cantankerous grump
Location: Ignore list

Re: Challenges to an Agnostic

Post by Hermit »

scherado";p="2669287 wrote:There's no "ball in my court," unless the scenario is unclear.

The scenario is sufficiently clear. You are asking if "an event so improbable as to have an incomprehensibly small likelihood of occurring" could be "a sign, yes, evidence of god". My reply was: "Nobody has managed to explain to me by what criterion we can determine the point at which something becomes so unlikely that it could not possibly have occurred without the intercession of a supernatural entity", Until you provide an answer to that problem the ball remains in your court.
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera


God created the universe
God just exists
User avatar
Macdoc
Posts: 17714
Joined: Feb 26, 2010 6:41 am
Country: Australia
Location: Australia

Re: Challenges to Troll

Post by Macdoc »

I have a question for Scherado

Image

Why were you banned from Hypography?

http://www.scienceforums.com/topic/30429-9112017/

Only 207 posts too..... :nono:

:coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
User avatar
Fenrir
Posts: 4118
Joined: Mar 25, 2011 10:12 am
Country: Australia

Re: Challenges to an Agnostic

Post by Fenrir »

Terry Prachett wrote:Scientists have calculated that the chances of something so patently absurd actually existing are millions to one.
But magicians have calculated that million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.
Religion: it only fails when you test it.-Thunderf00t.
TopCat
Posts: 872
Joined: Dec 24, 2014 5:09 pm
Country: England

Re: Challenges to an Agnostic

Post by TopCat »

scherado";p="2668852 wrote:Do you NOW follow? I wouldn't bet on it.

Well, let's see.

Suppose that P1(X) is the probability of event X occurring, in isolation from all other events.

What do you think P2(X) is, where P2(X) is the probability of X occurring, given that a number of other independent events have already happened?

If we can agree on the answer to this, we can continue the conversation. Otherwise, not so much.
Last edited by TopCat on Dec 26, 2018 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
scherado
Banned Troll
Posts: 284
Joined: Oct 09, 2018 9:44 pm
Country: U. S. A.

Nobody uses "troll" properly; Troll Schmoll

Post by scherado »

Macdoc";p="2669336 wrote:I have a question for Scherado

Image

Why were you banned from Hypography?

http://www.scienceforums.com/topic/30429-9112017/

Only 207 posts too..... :nono:

:coffee:

I don't recall, if in fact I was; Does it matter? If you can give me a good reason to consult Memory Division, then I will do that, otherwise, you find out to satisfy YOUR curiosity.
User avatar
scherado
Banned Troll
Posts: 284
Joined: Oct 09, 2018 9:44 pm
Country: U. S. A.

Troll Schmoll

Post by scherado »

Macdoc";p="2669336 wrote:I have a question for Scherado ....
Why were you banned from Hypography?

http://www.scienceforums.com/topic/30429-9112017/ ...

First, it's poor form to begin a sentence with "why."

Second, The reason was, probably, a combination of the usual Leftist malcontents PLUS I recommended STRONGLY that some of the moderators be relieved of their duties. I've always survived operating under the rule that moderators are off limits, that they have unconditional rule of the kingdom -- I'm not perfect and I strayed from my rule in that forum.

That's the best I can do, without digging deeper.
TopCat
Posts: 872
Joined: Dec 24, 2014 5:09 pm
Country: England

Re: Challenges to an Agnostic

Post by TopCat »

Forgive me, Ratskeppers, for double posting this.

I'm not sure if Scherado has a scroll wheel, but in case he doesn't:


scherado";p="2668852 wrote:Do you NOW follow? I wouldn't bet on it.

Well, let's see.

Suppose that P1(X) is the probability of event X occurring, in isolation from all other events.

What do you think P2(X) is, where P2(X) is the probability of X occurring, given that a number of other independent events have already happened?
User avatar
Hermit
Posts: 4927
Joined: Mar 03, 2010 2:00 am
Name: Cantankerous grump
Location: Ignore list

Re: Challenges to an Agnostic

Post by Hermit »

scherado";p="2670235 wrote:
Macdoc";p="2669336 wrote:I have a question for Scherado ....
Why were you banned from Hypography?

http://www.scienceforums.com/topic/30429-9112017/ ...

First, it's poor form to begin a sentence with "why."

Citation needed. Why am I not surprised you didn't provide one?
God is the mysterious veil under which we hide our ignorance of the cause. - Léo Errera


God created the universe
God just exists
User avatar
Macdoc
Posts: 17714
Joined: Feb 26, 2010 6:41 am
Country: Australia
Location: Australia

Re: Challenges to an Agnostic

Post by Macdoc »

Just answer the question

Why were you banned from Hypography?
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
TopCat
Posts: 872
Joined: Dec 24, 2014 5:09 pm
Country: England

Re: Challenges to an Agnostic

Post by TopCat »

Macdoc";p="2670617 wrote:Just answer the question

Why were you banned from Hypography?

I'd speculate that it was probably for acting in contravention of Wheaton's Law, but in reality, who cares?

Of much more relevance and educational value, of which there are slim pickings to be had from Scherado's posts, is an answer to my question about conditional probability, as I suspect that is where the debunking of his magical assertions in this thread is to be found.

I'm not really expecting an answer (tangential wibbling will not count as an answer), as it would imply a willingness to engage in actual discourse. But I live in hope.
User avatar
scott1328
Posts: 8849
Joined: Oct 09, 2012 1:38 am
Name: Some call me... Tim

Re: Challenges to an Agnostic

Post by scott1328 »

Scherado loves to post "challenges"

He runs away from every challenge posed to him however. He actually spent 30 days in jail to avoid answering a simple challenge I posed to him.*


*The jail time might have been for some crime or misdemeanor commited, but the effect was the same.
User avatar
The_Piper
Posts: 30445
Joined: Feb 27, 2010 12:03 pm
Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Country: Chainsaw Country
Location: Unfortunately not from the morally superior and socially advanced European continent.
Contact:

Re: Challenges to an Agnostic

Post by The_Piper »

scherado";p="2669320 wrote:
The_Piper";p="2669303 wrote:Yup, and the odds are even greater than that of a hit, since he knew it wouldn't be in the last 2/3 of the book. It's more than a 1 in 300 chance.

You still don't get it, but that is on you isn't it? In other words, you've demonstrated that you did not comprehend the content. Then you point to your error. You put the a-s-s in embarrassment.

Oh, so you aren't smart enough to know that the word would be in a certain portion of the book? You do know dictionaries tend to list their words in alphabetical order right? If not, you do now.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
User avatar
felltoearth
Posts: 14766
Joined: Mar 07, 2010 5:27 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: Challenges to an Agnostic

Post by felltoearth »

scott1328";p="2670678 wrote:Scherado loves to post "challenges"

He runs away from every challenge posed to him however. He actually spent 30 days in jail to avoid answering a simple challenge I posed to him.*


*The jail time might have been for some crime or misdemeanor commited, but the effect was the same.

He’s avoided my question about how he squares his agnosticism with an apparent love of Nietzsche. I’m guessing he hasn’t thought much about much.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
User avatar
The_Metatron
Moderator
Posts: 22587
Joined: Feb 28, 2010 8:32 pm
Name: Jesse
Country: United States
Location: Lewis County, New York

Re: Challenges to an Agnostic

Post by The_Metatron »

laklak wrote:I'm a Roman Catholic. By that I mean that I don't believe in God, the Saints, Papal infallibility, or Jesus. I just like wine and crackers.

Bloody catholics filling the bloody world with bloody people they cant afford to feed.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
User avatar
The_Metatron
Moderator
Posts: 22587
Joined: Feb 28, 2010 8:32 pm
Name: Jesse
Country: United States
Location: Lewis County, New York

Re: Challenges to an Agnostic

Post by The_Metatron »

The_Piper wrote:
scherado";p="2669320 wrote:
The_Piper";p="2669303 wrote:Yup, and the odds are even greater than that of a hit, since he knew it wouldn't be in the last 2/3 of the book. It's more than a 1 in 300 chance.

You still don't get it, but that is on you isn't it? In other words, you've demonstrated that you did not comprehend the content. Then you point to your error. You put the a-s-s in embarrassment.

Oh, so you aren't smart enough to know that the word would be in a certain portion of the book? You do know dictionaries tend to list their words in alphabetical order right? If not, you do now.

No shit, eh?

Here's what he can't get his mind around: Some clown said a word on the radio. His old unabridged dictionary happened to be often opened (more likely, left open) to a particular section. A section that was well used.

Notice how he fails to identify this particular word?

How much you want to bet it's a fairly common word, as are the words to be found in that section of his unabridged dictionary?

I bet that word didn't start with the letter Z. I further bet it has more than three or four letters.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
archibald
Posts: 10311
Joined: Mar 09, 2010 8:48 am
Country: Northern Ireland

Re: Challenges to an Agnostic

Post by archibald »

scherado";p="2668308 wrote:Are you persuaded?


No. Should I be? It's not much of a challenge. As someone else said, the odds of it happening are a LOT lower than winning the lottery, and that happens to someone almost every week, in several countries.

What else you got? :)
"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
User avatar
scott1328
Posts: 8849
Joined: Oct 09, 2012 1:38 am
Name: Some call me... Tim

Re: Challenges to an Agnostic

Post by scott1328 »

archibald";p="2670821 wrote:
scherado";p="2668308 wrote:Are you persuaded?


No. Should I be? It's not much of a challenge. As someone else said, the odds of it happening are a LOT lower than winning the lottery, and that happens to someone almost every week, in several countries.

What else you got? :)

Holy shit, it’s archibald! Back after a year’s absence. This must surely be a sign from God!
archibald
Posts: 10311
Joined: Mar 09, 2010 8:48 am
Country: Northern Ireland

Re: Challenges to an Agnostic

Post by archibald »

scott1328";p="2670826 wrote:
archibald";p="2670821 wrote:
scherado";p="2668308 wrote:Are you persuaded?


No. Should I be? It's not much of a challenge. As someone else said, the odds of it happening are a LOT lower than winning the lottery, and that happens to someone almost every week, in several countries.

What else you got? :)

Holy shit, it’s archibald! Back after a year’s absence. This must surely be a sign from God!


Believe it scott. And the winning lottery numbers are 34, 23, 1, 42, 45 and 36.
"It seems rather obvious that plants have free will. Don't know why that would be controversial."
(John Platko)
Post Reply