Homo naledi

Discuss various aspects of ancient civilizations and humanity in general.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Homo naledi

#41  Postby The_Piper » Aug 30, 2023 12:18 pm

The_Metatron wrote:
The_Piper wrote:I listened to lectures/talks by Hawks, Berger and others. You can easily find talks from both Hawks and Berger telling the story of the discovery and study of the bones and cave, in great detail. :)
There's evidence that Homo naledi used fire, which would explain how tf they could see anything down there! :lol:

I’ve wondered about that.

That cave was explored with serious technical spelunking gear. Make a mistake in there and you’re dead. No one can come to help you.

How in hell did those early humans get so good damned far into those caves?

I mean, if fire is your light source, you’d better have it mastered, and able to produce it at will. But, that’s not the only consideration. There’s no ventilation down there. Use up the oxygen with fire and your just as dead.

I’ve read a bit about caving and caving deaths. One thing I took away from it all was this: I don’t know what’s eventually going to kill me. But, it sure as hell won’t be a fucking cave.
:lol: Same here, if I'm going to die by cave, it's if a cave lands on top of me from somewhere while I'm on the surface. :lol: I'd bet that their smaller size helped with both fitting inside and breathing, but I'm with you being perplexed how humans could breathe in some caves with fires going. Not just this cave, any cave with long narrow passages. I think you're probably right that Naledi will have to have fire mastered.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#42  Postby Spearthrower » Aug 30, 2023 1:28 pm

One very plausible idea is that when Naledi-Jimmy fell down the well, Lassie's undomesticated ancestors hadn't yet learned to go find someone to save them.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#43  Postby The_Piper » Nov 18, 2023 1:17 pm

I heard some criticism of some of the evidence. On YouTube. :lol: I trusted the claims of fire and cave art, partly because it came from Lee Burger.
The hearths seem to be younger. The cave art could be a geological phenomenon. A stone tool that might be a regular rock that looks like a tool. If some of that evidence is ruled out, it's still cool but I'd rather know the facts.
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#44  Postby THWOTH » Nov 19, 2023 10:37 am

Didn't god put the pictures on cave walls for the same reason he put dinosaur bones in the ground -to test our faith?
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#45  Postby The_Piper » Nov 19, 2023 3:35 pm

That's what Satan wants you to believe. :lol:
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#46  Postby tuco » Nov 19, 2023 6:14 pm

The_Piper wrote:I heard some criticism of some of the evidence. On YouTube. :lol: I trusted the claims of fire and cave art, partly because it came from Lee Burger.
The hearths seem to be younger. The cave art could be a geological phenomenon. A stone tool that might be a regular rock that looks like a tool. If some of that evidence is ruled out, it's still cool but I'd rather know the facts.

I thought it was pretty informative, YT or not. I mean, the platform facts are presented on is not as important as the facts themselves.
tuco

Print view this post

#47  Postby The_Piper » Nov 20, 2023 1:42 pm

tuco wrote:
The_Piper wrote:I heard some criticism of some of the evidence. On YouTube. :lol: I trusted the claims of fire and cave art, partly because it came from Lee Burger.

I thought it was pretty informative, YT or not. I mean, the platform facts are presented on is not as important as the facts themselves.
Yes, but I wanted to differentiate between what is peer reviewed data and this informed outside observer's take on the situation that I found on YT. The problem is that the original claims that Lee Burger and colleagues haven't been able to be verified yet. I suspect that it's just as likely that Naledi made tools, given that they lived at a time when multiple tool-making hominins were on Earth. The fire and etching on the walls are plausible to me, but I've tempered my enthusiam for the time being. :)
The_Piper

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Anthropology