Amino Acid Tryptophan Found In Space

In The Perseus Molecular Cloud

Discuss celestial objects and phenomena outside the Earth's atmosphere, Earth-launched satellites and exploratory missions, etc....

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Amino Acid Tryptophan Found In Space

#1  Postby Calilasseia » Jun 22, 2023 5:39 pm

Quick overview of this latest development can be read here, while the scientific paper can be found here.

Probably won't be long before someone works out a synthesis route, and demonstrates it in a laboratory experiment, as occurred with glycine some years ago ...
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Amino Acid Tryptophan Found In Space

#2  Postby THWOTH » Jun 24, 2023 8:20 am

We'll have to put IC348 on our bucket list.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby chango369 » Jun 24, 2023 12:37 pm

Calilasseia wrote:Quick overview of this latest development can be read here, while the scientific paper can be found here.

Probably won't be long before someone works out a synthesis route, and demonstrates it in a laboratory experiment, as occurred with glycine some years ago ...

OT: Ahh, glycine. Supplementing with glycine and cysteine with the goal of increasing the reduced form of glutathione (GSH), and increasing the ratio of it to the oxidised form of glutathione (GSSG), is as close to a magic bullet as it gets with respect to improving overall health. I might start a thread on it when I get the chance.
“Government is the Entertainment division of the military-industrial complex.”

Frank Zappa
chango369

Name: Chris
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#4  Postby The_Piper » Jun 24, 2023 5:04 pm

I'm not very surprised, but it may be due to my unfamiliarity with chemistry. I know other amino acids have been identified from our own solar system. It's yet another sign that life arising in other solar systems is quite plausible. No one knows how plausible, but I have a feeling chemists have a better idea of that than I do. I have an uncle who is a retired chemistry professor, but also a Christian, so I've never asked him about his views on abiogenesis. At least he's not a Republican. :lol: Anyways, I hope we find life outside of Earth someday. Preferably within my lifetime. :)
"There are two ways to view the stars; as they really are, and as we might wish them to be." - Carl Sagan
"If an argument lasts more than five minutes, both parties are wrong" unknown
Self Taken Pictures of Wildlife
The_Piper

Name: Fletch F. Fletch
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Return to Astronomy & Space Science