Mountain blast to make way for huge telescope

1730-1930 BST

Discuss celestial objects and phenomena outside the Earth's atmosphere, Earth-launched satellites and exploratory missions, etc....

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Mountain blast to make way for huge telescope

#1  Postby DougC » Jun 19, 2014 12:15 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-27902611
B.B.C. Article
The top of a 3,000m-high (10,000ft) mountain in Chile will be blown up on Thursday to make way for the world's largest optical and infrared telescope.
A million tonnes of rock will be blasted in order to create a level surface on which to build the European-Extremely Large Telescope (E-ELT).
At its heart will lie a mirror that is half the size of a football pitch.
This will allow astronomers to look further into space and in more detail than ever before.

The explosion in Cerro Armazones in northern Chile will take place between 1730-1930 BST and will be streamed live by the European Southern Observatory.

(Continues)
To do, is to be (Socrate)
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Re: Mountain blast to make way for huge telescope

#2  Postby kennyc » Jun 19, 2014 12:31 pm

Wow, so it's not just China that are blasting mountains outta the way.... :rofl:

I have to wonder though about the trade-offs of terrestrial telescopes (and their conveniences) verses space telescopes.....

I guess we really need both.....I'm thinking of the James Webb Space Telescope which it sucking up a huge part of Nasa's budget...
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby DougC » Jun 19, 2014 1:00 pm

kennyc wrote:Wow, so it's not just China that are blasting mountains outta the way.... :rofl:

I have to wonder though about the trade-offs of terrestrial telescopes (and their conveniences) verses space telescopes.....

I guess we really need both.....I'm thinking of the James Webb Space Telescope which it sucking up a huge part of Nasa's budget...

Get that bugger into space. :grin:

I think we need both types. Although obviously I'm not writing the cheque. :thumbup:
To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby VazScep » Jun 19, 2014 3:02 pm

kennyc wrote:Wow, so it's not just China that are blasting mountains outta the way.... :rofl:

I don't have a preference, so long as their setup involves 'splosions. Same goes for the rest of science.
Here we go again. First, we discover recursion.
VazScep

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Made of Stars » Jun 19, 2014 8:16 pm

VazScep wrote:

I don't have a preference, so long as their setup involves 'splosions. Same goes for the rest of science.

Rocket launches are a close second to 'splosions.
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#6  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jun 19, 2014 8:59 pm

Made of Stars wrote:
VazScep wrote:

Rocket launches are a close second to 'splosions.

Unfortunately to get a sucka' that size into space it would take a rocket the size of Texas.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby DougC » Jun 20, 2014 11:50 pm

To be, is to do (Sartre)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
SUBWAY(1985)
DougC

Male