'Planet' Pluto comes into view

Discuss celestial objects and phenomena outside the Earth's atmosphere, Earth-launched satellites and exploratory missions, etc....

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: 'Planet' Pluto comes into view

#61  Postby Made of Stars » Jul 06, 2015 12:32 pm

UPDATE: NASA issued a statement at about 19:30 PT / 22:30 ET July 5 / 02:30 UT July 6 saying that the cause of the safe mode is understood, and that New Horizons will resume science operations on July 7

http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-la ... -mode.html
Made of Stars, by Neil deGrasse Tyson and zenpencils

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Name: Call me Coco
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#62  Postby newolder » Jul 06, 2015 8:29 pm

moar piccies
These are the most recent high-resolution views of Pluto sent by NASA’s New Horizons spacecraft, including one showing the four mysterious dark spots on Pluto that have captured the imagination of the world. The Long Range Reconnaissance Imager (LORRI) obtained these three images between July 1 and 3 of 2015, prior to the July 4 anomaly that sent New Horizons into safe mode.
The color version of the July 3 LORRI image was created by adding color data from the Ralph instrument gathered earlier in the mission.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Name: Albert Ross
Male

Print view this post

#63  Postby Made of Stars » Jul 06, 2015 8:35 pm

Interesting how ruddy it is. Must be hydrocarbons.

“Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars” - Serbian proverb
Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#64  Postby newolder » Jul 06, 2015 8:35 pm

Made of Stars wrote:Interesting how ruddy it is. Must be hydrocarbons.

Cold rust? :dunno:

hmmm, maybe not (Iron oxide), it's mean density is bit on the low side:
Mean density (kg/m3) 1830 (Pluto) 5514 (Earth) 0.332 (Pluto:Earth)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#65  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jul 06, 2015 11:49 pm

Doesn't oxidation slow or cease at some lower temperature threshold? Also I think Pluto's surface temperature is below the melting point for oxygen.
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#66  Postby newolder » Jul 07, 2015 8:54 am

CdesignProponentsist wrote:Doesn't oxidation slow or cease at some lower temperature threshold? Also I think Pluto's surface temperature is below the melting point for oxygen.

Yes, but regions on the surface may have experienced higher temperatures at some times due to collisions &c. :dunno:
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#67  Postby Made of Stars » Jul 07, 2015 11:00 am

Given the proximity of Charon, I'm guessing there will be volcanic activity. Whether we'll be able to see it is another question.

Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#68  Postby newolder » Jul 07, 2015 4:35 pm

Live 2-way communication with NewHorizons @ Canberra. 999 bits per second stream. Final approach software uploading and (i guess) new images on the way down...
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#69  Postby newolder » Jul 07, 2015 7:35 pm

The Ninth
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#70  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jul 07, 2015 8:12 pm

Made of Stars wrote:Given the proximity of Charon, I'm guessing there will be volcanic activity. Whether we'll be able to see it is another question.

I would expect them to be be dormant since they are tidally locked. But maybe were seeing very OLD and preserved volcanic surface features?
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#71  Postby Made of Stars » Jul 07, 2015 8:43 pm

Good point.

Made of Stars
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#72  Postby Weaver » Jul 07, 2015 11:30 pm

I'd not be surprised to see Charon and Pluto tidally locked and neutral - but with the weird orbits of Nix, Hydra and the other one, I'll not be surprised to see volcanism on any or all of these bodies.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#73  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jul 08, 2015 12:02 am

They are a bit on the small side, but maybe.
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#74  Postby newolder » Jul 08, 2015 9:30 am

New Horizons Map of Pluto: The Whale and the Donut
“We’re at the ‘man in the moon’ stage of viewing Pluto,” said John Spencer of the Southwest Research Institute, Boulder, Colorado, deputy leader of the Geology, Geophysics and Imaging team. “It’s easy to imagine you’re seeing familiar shapes in this bizarre collection of light and dark features. However, it’s too early to know what these features really are.”

more...
Fevered imaginations, is my guess...
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#75  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jul 08, 2015 6:07 pm

It is beginning to look like a lot going on (or has gone one) on the surface of Pluto. This is going to be exciting :popcorn:
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#76  Postby newolder » Jul 08, 2015 9:07 pm

I'm not linking to the latest "heart" image cuz i think that's just too silly. :snooty:
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#77  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Jul 08, 2015 9:59 pm

Just for you newolder, you old softy ;)

CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#78  Postby newolder » Jul 08, 2015 10:09 pm

Looks like there's a terrible leak at the base... :hrrumph:

(Still, thanks for posting. :thumbup: )
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#79  Postby newolder » Jul 09, 2015 5:16 pm

Another "Mission Condensed" tube...
newolder

Male

Print view this post

#80  Postby newolder » Jul 09, 2015 8:34 pm

Made of Stars wrote:Interesting how ruddy it is. Must be hydrocarbons.

13-ish minutes in confirms your view. :thumbup:
newolder

Male

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Astronomy & Space Science