Angel Glow and how myths are dispelled

Evolution, Natural Selection, Medicine, Psychology & Neuroscience.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Angel Glow and how myths are dispelled

#1  Postby natselrox » Nov 19, 2010 5:53 pm

http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/ ... 2010-11-19

I'm a little drunk and so posted this on FB! :shifty:

Some people ask me why I post so much on Facebook. Well, you see, I am connected to about 500 people through this site, far more than my Twitter followers. Every time I come across a scientific story, I feel like running on the top of the nearest Telephone Tower and and shout about it. Carl Sagan said, "Not explaining science seems to me perverse. When you're in love, you want to let the world know." And I love to shout out these fascinating stories to people. Maybe the five hundred connections that I have on here do not give a rat's ass to these stories but to be honest, I don't care. I'll keep on shouting about these and if one person reads one of the stories, I'll be the one most pleased. Take for example, this one.

So there are these bacteria called Photorhabdus and Xenorabdus that live in the guts of nematode worms as symbionts. These nematodes feed on the insect larva living in soil. They enter the gut of the larva and release these bacteria into blood-equivalent in insects (haemolymph). Now what these bacteria do is that they release a chemical cocktail that kills the larva as well as kills off any potential bacterial competitions. The nematode then devours the larva from within and re-consumes the bacteria and move to another larva. Symbiosis, as we know it.

These bacteria are also bioluminescent, meaning that they glow. This helps in attracting nearby larvae to the carcass of the last prey.

Now this is where the story reaches the climax. These bacteria can infect humans through an open wound. Now guess what? You have an open wound in a soldier who fights in trenches in soil, it gets infected by these glowing microbes and they release an antibiotic cocktail! These soldiers are less likely to suffer from infections leading to sepsis and death due to the antagonistic action of these.

Now consider a primitive human society where people have no idea about these things. What people see is that soldiers with a glowing wound are less likely to die! Enter the myth of 'Angel Glow' and divine intervention.

The story is much better written in the link below. I just shortened it in a simple way.

The point is that every research in science is equally interesting. Imagine how this fascinating story tells you about how myths can be dispelled through scientific investigation, how organisms help each other in nature, why bacteria glow, quorum sensing, probable anti-bacterial therapies in the future and so on. The best thing about science is that each story is linked to the other and every research is adding a bit to the solution of the puzzle that surrounds us. And this, my friends, is what I live for.

In short, "Science is interesting and if you don't agree, you can fuck off."
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

Re: Angel Glow and how myths are dispelled

#2  Postby chairman bill » Nov 19, 2010 5:56 pm

The last sentiment sounds fair enough. And I agree with the sentiment derived from Carl Sagan too.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby natselrox » Nov 19, 2010 5:58 pm

I'm drunk. I'm all sentimental now. :waah:

Don't hurt me!

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#4  Postby katja z » Nov 19, 2010 6:17 pm

natselrox wrote:I'm drunk. I'm all sentimental now. :waah:

:hugs:

It's a fascinating story. Thanks for re-posting it here! :cheers:
Last edited by katja z on Nov 19, 2010 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5  Postby natselrox » Nov 19, 2010 6:19 pm

katja z wrote:

Thanks, katja! :smile:

natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Goldenmane » Nov 20, 2010 4:17 am

Good post.
-Geoff Rogers

@Goldenmane3

http://goldenmane.onlineinfidels.com/
Goldenmane

Print view this post

#7  Postby Calilasseia » Nov 20, 2010 4:30 am

Oh indeed, I suggested to GenesForLife, after he posted pictures of the Indian Moon Moth, that glimpses of those moths flying through the forest in the moonlight probably led to all sorts of strange tales about supernatural entities. For those not familiar with this organism, here's a nice photo:

The wing scales of these moths catch the light and reflect it in such a manner as to give these moths an eerie looking, ghostly glow as they fly. Of course, they're not intrinsically bioluminescent, and thus differ from the bacteria above, but they look as if they're bioluminescent under the right lighting conditions. Given that these moths can attain a wingspan of nine inches in the case of the females, there's plenty of scope for people to mistake these things for weird apparitions. :)
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Nov 20, 2010 8:22 am

katja z wrote:

It's a fascinating story. Thanks for re-posting it here! :cheers:

He should have posted it first here, and then on fuckbook. The Tosser! ;) ;)

Good idea though, and probably true. I thought there was some luminescent bugs that are harmful too, maybe they give rise to less common infections. :ask: :think:

In a similar vein, I wonder why mice are not considered particularly evil. Gangrene makes the wound small "mousy", so you would think that the association would be made that mice are demons. Bats are associated with vampires, presumably via vampire bats.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#9  Postby byofrcs » Nov 20, 2010 9:03 am

And a new battle cry was heard...

Give me glow worms or give me death!
In America the battle is between common cents distorted by profits and common sense distorted by prophets.
byofrcs
RS Donator

Name: Lincoln Phipps
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Return to Biological Sciences