"Culture may be encoded in DNA"

Evolution, Natural Selection, Medicine, Psychology & Neuroscience.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

"Culture may be encoded in DNA"

#1  Postby katja z » Nov 26, 2010 1:58 pm

Culture May Be Encoded in DNA

Knowledge is passed down directly from generation to generation in the animal kingdom as parents teach their children the things they will need to survive. But a new study has found that, even when the chain is broken, nature sometimes finds a way.

Zebra finches, which normally learn their complex courtship songs from their fathers, spontaneously developed the same songs all on their own after only a few generations.

“We found that in this case, the culture was pretty much encoded in the genome,” said Partha Mitra of Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory in New York, co-author of a study in Nature on Sunday.

Birds transmit their songs through social interactions, as humans do for languages, dances, cuisine and other cultural elements. Though birds and humans have clearly followed different evolutionary paths, birdsong culture can still inform theories of human culture.

(continued)

Interesting stuff, although the analogy with human language is more than tenuous and the title is, frankly, a bit ridiculous.

Thoughts?
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

Re: "Culture may be encoded in DNA"

#2  Postby Evolving » Nov 26, 2010 2:55 pm

Human infant crying? They seem to learn it all on their own, without any other babies being necessary to learn from.

Definitely not taught to them by their parents!
How extremely stupid not to have thought of that - T.H. Huxley
Evolving

Name: Serafina Pekkala
Female

Luxembourg (lu)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Blip » Nov 26, 2010 3:04 pm

I was struck by this extract:

Zebra finches, which normally learn their complex courtship songs from their fathers, spontaneously developed the same songs all on their own after only a few generations.

This doesn't demonstrate that the songs are encoded in their DNA, though: rather it demonstrates similar behaviour arising in response to similar environmental pressures, does it not?
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#4  Postby katja z » Nov 26, 2010 3:30 pm

Blip wrote:I was struck by this extract:

This doesn't demonstrate that the songs are encoded in their DNA, though: rather it demonstrates similar behaviour arising in response to similar environmental pressures, does it not?

I've been wondering about this too, the pressure in this case would be provided by female finches and it isn't clear to me from the text whether the males in the experiment had any interaction with those. Feedback from their target audience would explain this nicely. :dunno:
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Blip » Nov 26, 2010 3:35 pm

katja z wrote:

I've been wondering about this too, the pressure in this case would be provided by female finches and it isn't clear to me from the text whether the males in the experiment had any interaction with those. Feedback from their target audience would explain this nicely. :dunno:

It does say, in the main article: 'You can listen to the progression below, but keep in mind that the elements that are important to female finches — duration of beats, rise and fall of pitch — can be difficult for the untrained human ear to pick up on.' I confess that this mention of female finches in this context led me to the conclusion that there were some female finches around and so such feedback occurred.
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#6  Postby electricwhiteboy » Nov 26, 2010 3:37 pm

Yup.

Just because the same ideas or inventions are developed completely independently, that does not imply that say things like archery are coded in our DNA. More that the ability to develop archery given something to hunt, and resources to make bows, will inevitably happen given a long enough time line. Or to put it another way, humans will always find similar solutions to problems because humans are similar.
electricwhiteboy

Print view this post

#7  Postby Iconoclast » Nov 26, 2010 7:16 pm

Well, I don't want to argue with the whole idea of the birds growing more natural, but attributing it to genetics only because it wasn't a learned behavior from a male voice model seems... overzealous. It could easily be attributed to the previous natural selection of birds that have certain vocal chord length, etc. In any case, language and actual culture and society are two very distinct things (which this article seems to confuse.) Still, very interesting research. :think:
Iconoclast

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Jie » Dec 01, 2010 11:50 pm

katja z wrote:

I'm no expert, but wouldn't the fact that it took a few generations for the songs to manifest sort of imply the presence of females? Kind of hard to extract sperm from a male bird, I would think... :whistle:

Anyway, I recall from one of Dawkins' books that traits in males develop together with a preference for those traits in famales. A few generations would be enough time for the guys to figure out what works best with the ladies. If this information were genetically encoded, wouldn't it manifest in the very first generation?
Yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it's called the present." -Master Oogway (Kung Fu Panda)
Jie

Name: Julio
Male

Puerto Rico (pr)
Print view this post

#9  Postby katja z » Dec 02, 2010 12:03 am

Jie wrote:
katja z wrote:

I'm no expert, but wouldn't the fact that it took a few generations for the songs to manifest sort of imply the presence of females? Kind of hard to extract sperm from a male bird, I would think... :whistle:

:tehe: They could do as with the first generation, remove the eggs from the nests before hatching. I took "generation" to refer to the roles of "teachers" and "students", not to descent. :dunno:
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Jie » Dec 02, 2010 12:12 am

katja z wrote::tehe: They could do as with the first generation, remove the eggs from the nests before hatching. I took "generation" to refer to the roles of "teachers" and "students", not to descent. :dunno:

Um... how would they obtain those eggs in the first place? :ask:
Yesterday is history, tomorrow a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it's called the present." -Master Oogway (Kung Fu Panda)
Jie

Name: Julio
Male

Puerto Rico (pr)
Print view this post

#11  Postby katja z » Dec 02, 2010 7:49 am

In the supermarket. :roll:

But seriously, as they weren't experimenting with the whole of the male population of finches on earth, this isn't really a question.

The presenece of female finches though is a factor that should be mentioned, for the very reasons you yourself have given. But the only interaction that is mentioned is that of male teachers/pupils (not fathers/sons):
Mitra’s team wanted to find out what would happen if an isolated bird raised his own colony. As expected, birds raised in soundproof boxes grew up to sing cacophonous songs.

But then scientists let the isolated birds give voice lessons to a new round of hatchlings. They found that the young males imitated the songs — but they tweaked them slightly, bringing the structure closer to that of songs sung in the wild. When these birds grew up and became tutors, their pupils’ song continue to conform, with tweaks.

After three to four generations, the teachers were producing strapping young finches that belted out normal-sounding songs.
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#12  Postby DanDare » Dec 02, 2010 8:48 am

So, are they looking at the same kind of things as Richard Dawkins is in The Selfish Gene, i.e. behaviours that are promoted by genes but not directly programmed by them?
Atheist. Ozzie.
Strange Flight
DanDare
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Mr.Samsa » Dec 02, 2010 12:36 pm

From the article:

Experimental design

We used zebra finches (Taeniopygia guttata) from the City College breeding colony. Colony management and isolation procedures have been described previously29. Except for the colony experiment, all birds were kept either singly (isolates) or in pairs (one-to-one tutored) in sound attenuation chambers (Supplementary Information, section 3e) betweens days 30 and 120 post hatch. WT songs (n = 52) were obtained from birds raised in two well-established colonies. Isolates (n = 17) were raised by their mothers from day 7 to day 29 post hatch and were kept in complete isolation from day 30 until day 120 or later. One-to-one-tutored birds (n = 13 and 8 for first and later generations, respectively) were randomly selected from 40 breeding pairs and paired with one of six isolate tutors on day 30. For the colony setting, we made a sound isolation chamber from an inoperational 20-ft3 refrigerator (Supplementary Fig. 1). All birds in the colony (except for the three female founders) were the descendants of the founder male.

So they're investigating the learnt and genetic causes of a behavior, and they get their "isolated" group to spend over 3 weeks with their mothers during a rather critical period of development?.. :what: They try to explain this in a section in their Appendix by pointing out that their auditory system isn't well developed until around 7 days of age (so they can't hear anything prior to that) but that's irrelevant to the situation, however, their ultimate proof that this exposure to their mother doesn't affect the development of their song is that they can't sing until after day 25 - so because they can't sing, they obviously can't learn the song!

That's not the best part though, this is:

It is also interesting to note that during the first
days after hatching the parents tend to be very quite (sic), and if the males sing at all, they tend
to sing away from the nest, facing the other way (Tchernichovski et al, Animal Behav.
1998).

So it's okay, because they're usually rather quiet when they sing around the offspring (I guess so they don't wake them, everyone hates a crying baby), and usually they'll face the other way when they do sing (presumably to prevent the offspring from lip reading?).

Since the initial isolated bird had exposure to the song, he obviously learnt the basics and through exposure with other birds, it gradually gets refined to its more efficient form. Even if we assume that the methodology was sound, the strongest conclusion we can reach from this is that their bird song is constrained by biology in some way (i.e. some sounds are easier to form that others which dictates the basic shape of the song), and over time the birds are able to figure out the best way to put these sounds together.

There is no need to even discuss a possible genetic basis for this.
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#14  Postby katja z » Dec 02, 2010 12:52 pm

Mr.Samsa wrote:
That's not the best part though, this is:

It is also interesting to note that during the first
days after hatching the parents tend to be very quite (sic), and if the males sing at all, they tend
to sing away from the nest, facing the other way (Tchernichovski et al, Animal Behav.
1998).

So it's okay, because they're usually rather quiet when they sing around the offspring (I guess so they don't wake them, everyone hates a crying baby), and usually they'll face the other way when they do sing (presumably to prevent the offspring from lip reading?).

:rofl:

The lipreading finches totally made my day! Thanks for ferreting out the original paper. :cheers:

Even if we assume that the methodology was sound, the strongest conclusion we can reach from this is that their bird song is constrained by biology in some way (i.e. some sounds are easier to form that others which dictates the basic shape of the song), and over time the birds are able to figure out the best way to put these sounds together.

:nod: I think it would also be reasonable to suppose that the song preferred by females would at least sound nice to the males as well, so they could use their own preferences as a guideline?
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Mr.Samsa » Dec 02, 2010 1:10 pm

katja z wrote:
:rofl:

The lipreading finches totally made my day! Thanks for ferreting out the original paper. :cheers:

:grin: No problem.

Oops, I probably should have linked to it: De novo establishment of wild-type song culture in the zebra finch. And the abstract:

Culture is typically viewed as consisting of traits inherited epigenetically, through social learning. However, cultural diversity has species-typical constraints1, presumably of genetic origin. A celebrated, if contentious, example is whether a universal grammar constrains syntactic diversity in human languages2. Oscine songbirds exhibit song learning and provide biologically tractable models of culture: members of a species show individual variation in song3 and geographically separated groups have local song dialects4, 5. Different species exhibit distinct song cultures6, 7, suggestive of genetic constraints8, 9. Without such constraints, innovations and copying errors should cause unbounded variation over multiple generations or geographical distance, contrary to observations9. Here we report an experiment designed to determine whether wild-type song culture might emerge over multiple generations in an isolated colony founded by isolates, and, if so, how this might happen and what type of social environment is required10. Zebra finch isolates, unexposed to singing males during development, produce song with characteristics that differ from the wild-type song found in laboratory11 or natural colonies. In tutoring lineages starting from isolate founders, we quantified alterations in song across tutoring generations in two social environments: tutor–pupil pairs in sound-isolated chambers and an isolated semi-natural colony. In both settings, juveniles imitated the isolate tutors but changed certain characteristics of the songs. These alterations accumulated over learning generations. Consequently, songs evolved towards the wild-type in three to four generations. Thus, species-typical song culture can appear de novo. Our study has parallels with language change and evolution12, 13, 14. In analogy to models in quantitative genetics15, 16, we model song culture as a multigenerational phenotype partly encoded genetically in an isolate founding population, influenced by environmental variables and taking multiple generations to emerge.

katja z wrote:
Even if we assume that the methodology was sound, the strongest conclusion we can reach from this is that their bird song is constrained by biology in some way (i.e. some sounds are easier to form that others which dictates the basic shape of the song), and over time the birds are able to figure out the best way to put these sounds together.

:nod: I think it would also be reasonable to suppose that the song preferred by females would at least sound nice to the males as well, so they could use their own preferences as a guideline?

Indeed, most definitely. I think their own preferences would add to possible biological constraints to give us the "basic shape", and the more nuanced version would be a result of feedback from others which refines it into its traditional form.
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#16  Postby ZedTheLiberator » Dec 07, 2010 3:32 am

I have an inherent problem with this article for several reasons. First being that if we are talking about 'culture' by definition I think it cannot really be considered genetic. This is rather loose, but I don't think I've ever seen genetically hardwired behaviors considered as culture in the literature. I think if it was found that a behavior was innate, it would not be considered culture. I agree with the above poster about culture being something that persists within genetic constraints.

The second problem I have with this is larger, namely that there is no real mechanism that I know of for somehow transmitting learned information to the genome. I can teach chimps to crack nuts all day, and although there might be selection for genes with traits which are adventageous at learning or maintaing the skill, the skill itself has no way that I know to become instinct.

I'm cautious of this because of some of the post-Jungian authors (particularly Erich Neumann) who suggested that culture might enter the collective consciousness of our species in a way that could only be equated to genetic (he might have even suggested genetic, though I don't recall.) I enjoy these authors, but there simply is no mechanism to do so. I agree with the skepticism offered by previous posters that there is probably another explanation as to why birds not exposed to the fathers song learn it anyway.
ZedTheLiberator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#17  Postby DanDare » Dec 08, 2010 2:03 pm

ZedTheLiberator wrote:The second problem I have with this is larger, namely that there is no real mechanism that I know of for somehow transmitting learned information to the genome.

Yes but the genome can evolve behaviours, a species could be said to learn those behaviours over generations. Anyway, the article doesn't seem to me to be saying anything of the sort. Its saying that some behaviours are more likely to be developed than others because of the way the brain develops as influenced by the genetics. That even without someone to learn from creatures may develop similar behaviours any way. For example humans are not born with knowledge of the English language but they are born with the ability to develop speech and for that to be important to them. Isolate some kids and have them somehow grow up together without direct adult contact and they will build a vocabulary and grammar of some sort. That is "encoded" in their DNA.
Atheist. Ozzie.
Strange Flight
DanDare
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#18  Postby katja z » Dec 08, 2010 2:09 pm

DanDare wrote: Isolate some kids and have them somehow grow up together without direct adult contact and they will build a vocabulary and grammar of some sort. That is "encoded" in their DNA.

No they won't and no it isn't. Check the thread on the "language instinct" and particularly my latest post on the creole argument (which is what you are probably referring to, even though in a simplified form - even Bickerton required kids to have their parents' pidgin to work on).
:cheers:
katja z
RS Donator

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Oldskeptic » Dec 08, 2010 10:55 pm

Another way to look at this is that the birds' song is not cultural at all, just an extended phenotype. And that comparing it to culture is a mistake. Especially if it is being presented in a way that implies that human culture affects genetic composition.

A beaver will build a simple damn and den on a stream even if it is raised in captivity and then released into the wild. This is an extended phenotype. Will the offspring of that beaver build the same kind of damn and den? Yes, but given that they have observed parents building damns and dens they might improve on them a bit. But take a pup out of this linage raise it in captivity and then return it to the wild and it will start with the rudimentary damn and den building that is the extended phenotype that is encoded in its DNA. The cultural aspects involving learning are gone.

The song of these birds is probably just another extended phenotype which gets refined as the generations progress and the birds learn and pass on refinements of the song that work a little bit better.
There is nothing so absurd that some philosopher will not say it - Cicero.

Traditionally these are questions for philosophy, but philosophy is dead - Stephen Hawking
Oldskeptic

Male

Print view this post

#20  Postby DanDare » Dec 10, 2010 12:59 pm

katja z wrote:
DanDare wrote: Isolate some kids and have them somehow grow up together without direct adult contact and they will build a vocabulary and grammar of some sort. That is "encoded" in their DNA.

No they won't and no it isn't. Check the thread on the "language instinct" and particularly my latest post on the creole argument (which is what you are probably referring to, even though in a simplified form - even Bickerton required kids to have their parents' pidgin to work on).
:cheers:

I think you are talking about language as a complex formal grammar. That's not what I am talking about. I think that the isolated kids will make noises and expect other kids to work out what the noses signify. It is instinctual in humans to use sounds to mean something, to convey information to other humans. I would be surprised if they, say, only communicated through body language, hand signals or touch. And if they had children on their own their children would grow up to make the same signifying noises and it will get added to and expanded to make it more useful.

On the other hand that is just my intuition. There is no known population of humans alive today that grew up without parents to pass on a language, although there have been cases of isolated children, but without other humans to attempt to communicate with I would be surprised if meaningful vocalisations developed at all.
Atheist. Ozzie.
Strange Flight
DanDare
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Biological Sciences