"I heard water!", said the bat!

Evolution, Natural Selection, Medicine, Psychology & Neuroscience.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

"I heard water!", said the bat!

#1  Postby natselrox » Nov 02, 2010 4:29 pm

Ed Yong blogs: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notro ... uses-them/

The full article: http://www.nature.com/ncomms/journal/v1 ... s1110.html

In addition, naive juvenile bats that had never before encountered a water body showed spontaneous drinking responses from smooth plates. This provides the first evidence for innate recognition of a habitat cue in a mammal.

Interesting, eh Samsa? :evilgrin:
When in perplexity, read on.

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

Re: "I heard water!", said the bat!

#2  Postby Mr.Samsa » Nov 03, 2010 12:50 am

natselrox wrote:Interesting, eh Samsa? :evilgrin:

Very :tongue:

It looks like they've done a fairly decent job of demonstrating that this might be a fixed-action pattern, however they haven't explained how the bats have been drinking before the experiment took place. Surely they provided them with water through sipper bottles, otherwise the experiment was a bit of a waste of time, so I'm a bit confused as to why they've left this information out.. If they didn't use sipper bottles and simply gave them water in small troughs, then the results could be interpreted either way.

With the bats’ response being so extremely stereotypical and repetitive, questions about learning arise. Do bats have to learn water recognition by following conspecifics, for example, their mother? The answer is no. By contrast, the spontaneous and repeated drinking attempts of the juvenile, naive bats strongly argue for an innate basis of the echoacoustic recognition of water bodies.

I'm a little concerned by this statement as it hugely simplifies the process of learning. Okay, they've ruled out social learning by preventing them from flying with their mothers, but this obviously doesn't rule out learning..

So it's still a good study, and they've done some excellent work to provide support for it being a species-specific behavior (especially by identifying what stimulus was eliciting the drinking response) but I'd still like to see a few more details. In particular, this sentence should give us reason for a moment's hesitation:

The one juvenile bat that did not attempt to drink from the metal plate also did not drink from the subsequently presented real water and thus probably lacked sufficient motivation.

:think:

As it stands, if a water trough was used between sessions to keep them hydrated, then all of the results can be explained by basic stimulus control (and it would also explain why one didn't engage in the drinking behavior, despite being water deprived, as its behavior was probably controlled by some other cue other than the echolocation effect).
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#3  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Nov 03, 2010 1:11 am

WTF? Nature actually publishing something OA???
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#4  Postby natselrox » Nov 03, 2010 4:17 am

Mr.Samsa wrote:
natselrox wrote:Interesting, eh Samsa? :evilgrin:

Very :tongue:

It looks like they've done a fairly decent job of demonstrating that this might be a fixed-action pattern, however they haven't explained how the bats have been drinking before the experiment took place. Surely they provided them with water through sipper bottles, otherwise the experiment was a bit of a waste of time, so I'm a bit confused as to why they've left this information out.. If they didn't use sipper bottles and simply gave them water in small troughs, then the results could be interpreted either way.

Hmm... Might be interesting to ask this to the authors. I'll try.

With the bats’ response being so extremely stereotypical and repetitive, questions about learning arise. Do bats have to learn water recognition by following conspecifics, for example, their mother? The answer is no. By contrast, the spontaneous and repeated drinking attempts of the juvenile, naive bats strongly argue for an innate basis of the echoacoustic recognition of water bodies.

I'm a little concerned by this statement as it hugely simplifies the process of learning. Okay, they've ruled out social learning by preventing them from flying with their mothers, but this obviously doesn't rule out learning..

That struck me as well. Surely there are ways of learning the same trick through a variety of different techniques.

So it's still a good study, and they've done some excellent work to provide support for it being a species-specific behavior (especially by identifying what stimulus was eliciting the drinking response) but I'd still like to see a few more details. In particular, this sentence should give us reason for a moment's hesitation:

The one juvenile bat that did not attempt to drink from the metal plate also did not drink from the subsequently presented real water and thus probably lacked sufficient motivation.

:think:

As it stands, if a water trough was used between sessions to keep them hydrated, then all of the results can be explained by basic stimulus control (and it would also explain why one didn't engage in the drinking behavior, despite being water deprived, as its behavior was probably controlled by some other cue other than the echolocation effect).

It outwitted the researchers, you say? :lol:

"A system that values obedience over curiosity isn’t education and it definitely isn’t science"
natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Mr.Samsa » Nov 03, 2010 10:16 am

natselrox wrote:Hmm... Might be interesting to ask this to the authors. I'll try.

Sounds good. I imagine that they probably have used water troughs but assumed that the echolocation used to find it in the non-experimental settings wouldn't affect their behavior during the testing (as the troughs would be much smaller and you wouldn't get the plane surface they discuss in the article). However, this would be like training an animal to associate an orange flashing light with food, then claiming that their responses to a red flashing light must indicate an innate predisposition..

natselrox wrote:That struck me as well. Surely there are ways of learning the same trick through a variety of different techniques.

Indeed, and social learning is one of the most complex forms of learning, so it seems strange to eliminate the most unlikely form of learning and declare that it necessarily rules out all kinds of learning.

natselrox wrote:It outwitted the researchers, you say? :lol:

Perhaps, it wouldn't be the first time (of an animal outwitting researchers).
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#6  Postby natselrox » Nov 03, 2010 11:15 am

Mr.Samsa wrote:
natselrox wrote:That struck me as well. Surely there are ways of learning the same trick through a variety of different techniques.

Indeed, and social learning is one of the most complex forms of learning, so it seems strange to eliminate the most unlikely form of learning and declare that it necessarily rules out all kinds of learning.

Probably they were raised in complete isolation. :dunno:

I just mailed them both the questions. Will post the reply. :thumbup:

natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#7  Postby tnjrp » Nov 03, 2010 11:21 am

:popcorn:
The dog, the dog, he's at it again!
tnjrp

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#8  Postby Mr.Samsa » Nov 03, 2010 11:30 am

natselrox wrote:Probably they were raised in complete isolation. :dunno:

I just mailed them both the questions. Will post the reply. :thumbup:

Nah they were kept with their mothers until weaning apparently. But my point was basically that there are far simpler learning mechanisms which could account for the data, and social learning would be the most unlikely option. It's like seeing a magician pulling a rabbit out of a hat, concluding that it's impossible for him to have created a teleporter and installed it in his hat to transfer the matter of a rabbit into his hat during the show, and concluding that therefore he must be using magic. Not saying that they're invoking a spurious explanation like magic, but just that they seemed to have failed to account for much simpler and more likely explanations. In other words, if we decided that this should be investigated as a possible learnt effect, social learning would be the last explanation you'd look into as even before this experiment took place, as we could be fairly sure that such a complex learning path is not necessary to teach young bats to find and drink water.
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#9  Postby natselrox » Nov 03, 2010 3:52 pm

The author replied:

Dear [myname],

thank you for your interest and of course I'm happy to answer your questions.

If we would have used little bowls of water for raising the youngs, I would agree with you. However we raised the juveniles initially with the help of their mothers. That means we handfed (and watered) the mothers who then let their pups feed on milk. When the young ones were old enough we also handfed them and watered them with a water pipette. So they indeed nether saw a smooth water surface before.

Very little is known about social learning in bats. As far as we know they generally fly alone (with exceptions, see Dechmann 2009 'Experimental evidence for group hunting via eavesdropping in echolocating bats'). Even less is known about mother-infant interactions. I actually believe that probably in many species the mother will fly loosely together with their infants and thereby showing them the 'map' of area with all the important areas. So far so good, but when the young bat is in the respective area it has to know what to do (foraging, drinking). Because - as far as we understand it - it is not possible for one animal to evaluate the echolocation calls of the other animal and thereby understand what that one is doing. I don't want to rule out social learning as we are just at the beginning of investigating this, but what my data clearly shows is, that it is not necessary at least for recognizing water (and maybe catch insects) as the young ones independently knew immediately what to do.

I hope I could answer your questions and if you have more, don't hesitate to write again.

All the best,
Stefan

I could have formed my question better. :oops:

natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#10  Postby Mr.Samsa » Nov 03, 2010 11:18 pm

natselrox wrote:I could have formed my question better. :oops:

Nice work Nats! I'm glad they did rule out the use of a water bowl. Still confused as to why that one bat didn't participate though, but maybe it was just an idiot..
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

#11  Postby natselrox » Nov 04, 2010 4:11 am

Still doesn't prove that it's an FAP but I guess we will have to make do with this much. The study did not look much deeper, I guess.

natselrox

Male

India (in)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Mr.Samsa » Nov 04, 2010 4:14 am

natselrox wrote:Still doesn't prove that it's an FAP but I guess we will have to make do with this much. The study did not look much deeper, I guess.

It's pretty good evidence for it, given the detail they went into controlling the conditions - i.e. learning an association between the flat plane and water is not possible the way it is set up, so it's likely to have an innate basis. But yeah, it'd be interesting to see a replication of it due to that one bat.
Mr.Samsa

Print view this post

Return to Biological Sciences