Is Richard Dawkins a recognized scientist?

Evolution, Natural Selection, Medicine, Psychology & Neuroscience.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Is Richard Dawkins a recognized scientist?

#1  Postby murshid » Dec 23, 2023 5:23 pm

Just saw a claim online that Dawkins isn't a recognized scientist, which seemed like a weird claim. This is what I want to know: how much research did Dawkins do over the years? Can you provide some references to his list of researches?
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" – Douglas Adams
murshid

Name: Murshid
Male

Print view this post

Re: Is Richard Dawkins a recognized scientist?

#2  Postby THWOTH » Dec 23, 2023 7:06 pm

Yes, he has done 'recognised science', if you accept that his main contribution has been to developing and synthesising theory from the research.

The Extended Phenotype (wiki)
List of academic papers (wiki)
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby THWOTH » Dec 23, 2023 7:08 pm

...and if you think science communication is a legitimate scientific endeavour.
"No-one is exempt from speaking nonsense – the only misfortune is to do it solemnly."
Michel de Montaigne, Essais, 1580
THWOTH
RS Donator

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby BWE » Dec 27, 2023 7:25 am

Yeah. Regardless. Yes. He is something of a privileged man child also but to think of science as pure research and excluding theory is a myopic view of science. My 2c anyway.
BWE

Print view this post

#5  Postby pfrankinstein » Jan 11, 2024 3:15 pm

To close the loop ( if ever one needed closing) I belive it is perfectly reasonable (understated) , to suppose an intelligence beyond orur understanding evolving unchecked as a viable cause. We, science endevours to understand the Bbang. Hydron Colldier.

'By means of 'good intelligent selection' is a viable option in my understanding.

Such method is tangible, 'by means of good intelligent human selection. some evidence?..

Dawkins lets himself down by playing the unreasonable overzelouse athiest.

That having been said I do accept dawkins as a scientist.

Suppose it takes one to know one.... So what do I know :roll:

Paul.
pfrankinstein

Name: paul

Print view this post

#6  Postby The_Metatron » Jan 11, 2024 5:56 pm

It’s difficult to imagine Dawkins’ relief over your acceptance of his academic credentials.

Paul, exactly what do you mean when you use the word “reasonable”?
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby pfrankinstein » Jan 12, 2024 10:30 pm

The_Metatron wrote:It’s difficult to imagine Dawkins’ relief over your acceptance of his academic credentials.

Paul, exactly what do you mean when you use the word “reasonable”?

In the context of 'unreasonable athiest', at the time, I was thinking about how an agnostic might describe themselves as 'accepting the possibility of God' ; and how the 'atheists for profit' (Dawkins) most often counter by inserting 'leprrechauns and fairies at the bottom of the garden' into the debate.

Ye oldie, sublime to the ridiculous auto-Athiest defense. Then the food fight is on. I'm not up for that.

I accept the possibility that a system of good intelligence exists, is evolving, and may be unchecked. There is no politics in such an assertion.

Partly by upbringing and environment, but mainly by observing mankind. Oh. And a theory.

To shield myself, To remain detached from the affray, I reference 'by means of good intelligence.'

There is a subtle difference you might miss between 'good intelligence' and 'good human selection'. The inference 'by means of good human selection' is tangible and, as such, falls within the realms of reality. Reality is science. [Ps. NS. Human selection = science to there.]. By observation.

Mankind is in the frame. Oh my, dismal...

So I ponder my reality, pause for thought, and weigh things up simply: 'a single uninterrupted chain of 'cause and effect now coupled with

The'mechanism'' that is 'evolution' resulting in all of us being here.

So, for some reason, we all surf and journey.

Simple box-ticking Q&A sessions are good exercise.

What is science for?

What does mankind strive to be?

A man on the street screams, 'I just want mankind to be good.'

Paul.
pfrankinstein

Name: paul

Print view this post

#8  Postby The_Metatron » Jan 12, 2024 10:46 pm

That’s a lot of gibbering to not answer the simple question I asked you, Paul. What do you mean by “reasonable”?

You’re here telling us Dawkins, for one, is unreasonable and overzealous. What does a reasonable atheist with a normal amount of zeal look like?
The_Metatron

Name: Jesse
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Animavore » Jan 13, 2024 9:53 pm

murshid wrote:Just saw a claim online that Dawkins isn't a recognized scientist, which seemed like a weird claim.

Maybe he mistook him for Bill Nye?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

Return to Biological Sciences