Porcine plasma? Feed is suspect in ....deadly pig virus

Evolution, Natural Selection, Medicine, Psychology & Neuroscience.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Porcine plasma? Feed is suspect in ....deadly pig virus

#1  Postby kennyc » Apr 01, 2014 12:09 pm

Porcine plasma? Feed is suspect in spread of deadly pig virus
Posted on April 1, 2014 by Doug Powell
Scientists and regulators investigating the mysterious spread of a deadly virus plaguing the U.S. pork industry are stepping up their scrutiny of what the nation’s hog herd eats.

With a dearth of solid leads, investigators are exploring whether something in pig feed could be a conduit for porcine epidemic diarrhea virus, which has spread to 27 states and killed millions of young pigs since it was first identified in the U.S. last PED-virus-Is-time-running-out-for-porcine-plasma-as-a-feed-ingredient_medium_vgaApril. One focus of the inquiry: porcine plasma, a widely used feed ingredient made from the blood of slaughtered hogs and fed to piglets.

Scientists say the virus, one of the most devastating diseases to afflict U.S. livestock in years, is fatal only to young pigs, and poses no threat to human health or food safety. But it has rapidly increased costs for major hog-farm operators, such as Smithfield Foods Inc. and Maschoffs LLC, as prices for replacement pigs have soared to new highs.

Porcine plasma has been a mainstay of piglet diets in the U.S. since the 1990s, after scientists discovered it provided antibodies to protect young pigs from disease and helped them switch from feeding from their mother to the grain-heavy diet common on livestock farms.

Last month, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency disclosed that it had found plasma contaminated with the virus, after multiple hog farms in Ontario that were hit by PED, and another farm on Prince Edward Island with a suspected case, all reported that they bought feed from the same vendor, Ontario-based Grand Valley Fortifiers.

http://barfblog.com/2014/04/porcine-pla ... pig-virus/

and

http://swineperformance.vitaplus.com/20 ... -and-pedv/

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/ter ... 2762820068
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Porcine plasma? Feed is suspect in ....deadly pig virus

#2  Postby chairman bill » Apr 01, 2014 12:14 pm

We had a bit of a problem with the end result of feeding cattle products to cows. That did pose a risk to human health. You might think that people would take heed of imposing cannibalism on livestock - it doesn't seem to work very well.
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby kennyc » Apr 01, 2014 12:24 pm

chairman bill wrote:We had a bit of a problem with the end result of feeding cattle products to cows. That did pose a risk to human health. You might think that people would take heed of imposing cannibalism on livestock - it doesn't seem to work very well.

Yep, I thought of that same issue...
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby chairman bill » Apr 01, 2014 12:29 pm

Maybe they ate some of our beef, back in the day, and BSE led to the madness of putting pig plasma in piglet food
“There is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.” Terry Pratchett
chairman bill
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Biological Sciences