Testicle size matters.......apparently

Evolution, Natural Selection, Medicine, Psychology & Neuroscience.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Testicle size matters.......apparently

#1  Postby monkeyboy » Sep 10, 2013 4:15 pm

A link between the size of a father's testicles and how active he is in bringing up his children has been suggested by scientists.

continues at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24016988

I don't know, could be total bollocks.

:hide: I'll get my coat.
Last edited by monkeyboy on Sep 10, 2013 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Re: Testicle size matters.......apprently

#2  Postby laklak » Sep 10, 2013 4:43 pm

Scientific proof that manly men don't mess with nappies. I knew these New Daddies were girly men all along. Some of them even wear makeup, s'truth. Saw one the other day downtown, pushing a baby carriage, carrying a "man bag" and wearing fucking eye liner. Probably had cojones the size of almonds.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#3  Postby stevecook172001 » Sep 10, 2013 6:01 pm

This story makes some evolutionary sense. Men have two competing evolutionary imperatives acting on them. One is to be a good provider and parent. The other is to impregnate as many females as possible. The latter of these two imperatives will likely be served by having larger testes and so be able to produce more sperm. However, this will also likely be linked to higher testosterone levels, which tend to increase aggression and reduce empathy, both of which are then heading in the wrong direction, arguably, in terms of being a good parent.

Given that variation exists in humans on lots of different traits because of the varied evolutionary history and selection pressures on our ancestors, it would not surprise me at all to see such variation in testes size for males for all of the same reasons of variation in evolutionary history and accompanying selection pressures.
stevecook172001

Name: deleted

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby pensioner » Sep 10, 2013 6:21 pm

laklak wrote:Scientific proof that manly men don't mess with nappies. I knew these New Daddies were girly men all along. Some of them even wear makeup, s'truth. Saw one the other day downtown, pushing a baby carriage, carrying a "man bag" and wearing fucking eye liner. Probably had cojones the size of almonds.

Too true mate, before the female got the vote men had balls like a bull, but now they have testimonials like a very small field mouse.
I hope them old biddys at the old farts club do not read this post. :ask:
There’s class warfare, all right,” said US billionaire Warren Buffett a few years ago, “but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.
pensioner

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby laklak » Sep 10, 2013 6:34 pm

pensioner wrote:
laklak wrote:Scientific proof that manly men don't mess with nappies. I knew these New Daddies were girly men all along. Some of them even wear makeup, s'truth. Saw one the other day downtown, pushing a baby carriage, carrying a "man bag" and wearing fucking eye liner. Probably had cojones the size of almonds.

Too true mate, before the female got the vote men had balls like a bull, but now they have testimonials like a very small field mouse.

Yep. Giving them the vote was the beginning of the end, letting them drive cars just finished the deal. Once they get the artificial wombs up and running they'll just exterminate us. Not the worst thing, we won't have to listen to them complain any more.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#6  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Sep 10, 2013 6:37 pm

"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby pensioner » Sep 10, 2013 6:38 pm

laklak wrote:
pensioner wrote:

Yep. Giving them the vote was the beginning of the end, letting them drive cars just finished the deal. Once they get the artificial wombs up and running they'll just exterminate us. Not the worst thing, we won't have to listen to them complain any more.

You sexist pig you, I like it. :popcorn:
There’s class warfare, all right,” said US billionaire Warren Buffett a few years ago, “but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.
pensioner

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#8  Postby laklak » Sep 10, 2013 6:42 pm

I'm told you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear, likewise you can't make a Gender Neutral Non Patriarchal New Male from an old chauvinist pig. Like Popeye said, I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Fallible » Sep 10, 2013 6:50 pm

I must admit, I was expecting more people boasting about the size of their clackers. But I suppose there's still time.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#10  Postby pensioner » Sep 10, 2013 6:53 pm

laklak wrote:I'm told you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear, likewise you can't make a Gender Neutral Non Patriarchal New Male from an old chauvinist pig. Like Popeye said, I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam.

This post of yours is so profound It brought tears to my eyes, Plato would have pleased with that one, you know that Greek twat.
pensioner

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#11  Postby pensioner » Sep 10, 2013 6:57 pm

Fallible wrote:I must admit, I was expecting more people boasting about the size of their clackers. But I suppose there's still time.

That time has long gone for me and Lak, why do you think we sound so bitter?
pensioner

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#12  Postby Fallible » Sep 10, 2013 7:07 pm

:rofl:
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Testicle size matters.......apparently

#13  Postby someguy1 » Sep 10, 2013 11:47 pm

The sample size was 70. (Men, not balls). We must distinguish between science and silly newspaper articles about meaningless studies.
someguy1

Mexico (mx)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Animavore » Sep 10, 2013 11:48 pm

someguy1 wrote:The sample size was 70. (Men, not balls).

So, 140 then :coffee:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Sep 10, 2013 11:55 pm

Big balls only buys you a lot of tickets, it does not mean that you genes necessarily make it to the next generation. "Guarding" mates and your own young helps too, especially with social species that are K-selectionist. Big balls also means high steriod production, which can also be bad for you and your offspring. So big balls, while a decent evolutionary strategy, is far from perfect and there are easy counters.
If you want to know some of the downsides of big balls, go ask an antechinus. But be quick, because those dudes only last a single season. Personally, I think changing a few nappies is more preferable to intense sperm competition, and unlike antechinus, we have a choice.
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#16  Postby Ironclad » Sep 11, 2013 12:31 am

The article isn't just saying that naturally smaller 'balled' men make better fathers, while the bigger balled men just go around uncontrolled - it says that (or adds that) during parenthood and while engaging with the baby a man's testes shrink, due to the lower testosterone production perhaps, and they find their emotional attachment grow.
Damn you oestrogen, for all the shitty nappies! :lay:
For Van Youngman - see you amongst the stardust, old buddy

"If there was no such thing as science, you'd be right " - Sean Lock

"God ....an inventive destroyer" - Broks
Ironclad
RS Donator

Name: Nudge-Nudge
Male

Indonesia (id)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Darwinsbulldog » Sep 11, 2013 12:38 am

Ironclad wrote:The article isn't just saying that naturally smaller 'balled' men make better fathers, while the bigger balled men just go around uncontrolled - it says that (or adds that) during parenthood and while engaging with the baby a man's testes shrink, due to the lower testosterone production perhaps, and they find their emotional attachment grow.
Damn you oestrogen, for all the shitty nappies! :lay:

Indeed, as if males were just bags of testosterone! :doh:
Jayjay4547 wrote:
"When an animal carries a “branch” around as a defensive weapon, that branch is under natural selection".
Darwinsbulldog

Print view this post

#18  Postby laklak » Sep 11, 2013 2:11 am

pensioner wrote:
Fallible wrote:I must admit, I was expecting more people boasting about the size of their clackers. But I suppose there's still time.

When you sit on the loo and they hit the water it's the beginning of the end.
laklak
RS Donator

Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#19  Postby pensioner » Sep 11, 2013 4:46 am

laklak wrote:
pensioner wrote:

When you sit on the loo and they hit the water it's the beginning of the end.

I can tuck mine in my socks when I'm stood up, does this mean I'm fucked?
pensioner

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#20  Postby monkeyboy » Sep 11, 2013 7:06 am

someguy1 wrote:The sample size was 70. (Men, not balls). We must distinguish between science and silly newspaper articles about meaningless studies.

I'm fairly sure most of us aren't treating this too seriously.

I'm still wondering how they measure them properly. Do they weigh them, use calipers (shudder) or some sort of Archimedes displacement method (using warm water of course otherwise it just wouldn't work).
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Biological Sciences