Letter That Inspired Jack Kerouac's 'On The Road' Discovered

Neal Casady letter was thought to have been lost

Discuss books here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Letter That Inspired Jack Kerouac's 'On The Road' Discovered

#1  Postby Shrunk » Nov 24, 2014 12:13 am

It's been called the letter that launched a literary genre — 16,000 amphetamine-fueled, stream-of-consciousness words written by Neal Cassady to his friend Jack Kerouac in 1950.

Upon reading them, Kerouac scrapped an early draft of "On The Road" and, during a three-week writing binge, revised his novel into a style similar to Cassady's, one that would become known as Beat literature.

The letter, Kerouac said shortly before his death, would have transformed his counterculture muse Cassady into a towering literary figure, if only it hadn't been lost.

Turns out it wasn't, says Joe Maddalena, whose Southern California auction house Profiles in History is putting the letter up for sale Dec. 17. It was just misplaced, for 60-some years.

It's being offered as part of a collection that includes papers by E.E. Cummings, Kenneth Rexroth, Robert Penn Warren and other prominent literary figures. But Maddalena believes the item bidders will want most is Cassady's 18-page, single-spaced screed describing a drunken, sexually charged, sometimes comical visit to his hometown of Denver....

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/lette ... ck-kerouac
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Letter That Inspired Jack Kerouac's 'On The Road' Discovered

#2  Postby kennyc » Nov 24, 2014 12:21 am

Shrunk wrote:
It's been called the letter that launched a literary genre — 16,000 amphetamine-fueled, stream-of-consciousness words written by Neal Cassady to his friend Jack Kerouac in 1950.

Upon reading them, Kerouac scrapped an early draft of "On The Road" and, during a three-week writing binge, revised his novel into a style similar to Cassady's, one that would become known as Beat literature.

The letter, Kerouac said shortly before his death, would have transformed his counterculture muse Cassady into a towering literary figure, if only it hadn't been lost.

Turns out it wasn't, says Joe Maddalena, whose Southern California auction house Profiles in History is putting the letter up for sale Dec. 17. It was just misplaced, for 60-some years.

It's being offered as part of a collection that includes papers by E.E. Cummings, Kenneth Rexroth, Robert Penn Warren and other prominent literary figures. But Maddalena believes the item bidders will want most is Cassady's 18-page, single-spaced screed describing a drunken, sexually charged, sometimes comical visit to his hometown of Denver....

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/lette ... ck-kerouac

Interesting!

Thanks!
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#3  Postby felltoearth » Nov 24, 2014 2:53 am

Wouldn't that be ee cummings?
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4  Postby Shrunk » Nov 24, 2014 11:41 am

felltoearth wrote:Wouldn't that be ee cummings?

:lol: I imagine the copy editor coming across that and thinking, "Gee, how'd he make an obvious error like forgetting to capitalize a proper name?"
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#5  Postby felltoearth » Nov 25, 2014 1:35 pm

Shrunk wrote:

:lol: I imagine the copy editor coming across that and thinking, "Gee, how'd he make an obvious error like forgetting to capitalize a proper name?"

Sends them into a tizzy every time :lol:

Thanks for the post. Great find.
"Walla Walla Bonga!" — Witticism
felltoearth

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Shrunk » Nov 25, 2014 2:34 pm

felltoearth wrote:
Shrunk wrote:

Sends them into a tizzy every time :lol:

Just this morning I was looking for something on my bookshelf, and noticed on the spine of a collection of his works it was spelled "E. E. Cummings". :nono:
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#7  Postby kennyc » Nov 25, 2014 2:52 pm

I'm inspired, I think I'm going to write my next poetry collection on a roll of toilet paper.....
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
kennyc

Name: Kenny A. Chaffin
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby GreatApe » Nov 29, 2014 10:19 am

Thanks for posting this, Shrunk!

I hadn't seen it yet.

I'm looking forward to being able to read the letter in its entirety one day.

--GA
---------------------------------
"Quiero Saber" : Gipsy Kings
GreatApe

Name: GreatApe
Male

Print view this post

Return to Books