What'cha Readin'?

Discuss books here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What'cha Readin'?

#4041  Postby romansh » May 12, 2017 12:12 am

Pulsar wrote:
Fallible wrote:Have you read any Rushdie, by the way? It's like trying to eat 20 Jacobs cream crackers without a drink.

Yep. I'm trying to get through the Satanic Verses, and it's driving me up the wall. I can't stand that stream-of-consciousness style of writing. I don't know if I'm going to finish it.

In 1986 I got to just short of page 30 ...
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#4042  Postby Macdoc » May 12, 2017 7:36 am

Gonna reread Name of the Wind.. Bought it early on before the excitement started about it and then waited and waited for the continuation.
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4043  Postby NamelessFaceless » May 12, 2017 1:42 pm

romansh wrote:
Pulsar wrote:
Fallible wrote:Have you read any Rushdie, by the way? It's like trying to eat 20 Jacobs cream crackers without a drink.

Yep. I'm trying to get through the Satanic Verses, and it's driving me up the wall. I can't stand that stream-of-consciousness style of writing. I don't know if I'm going to finish it.

Is it really that bad? It's in my stack of books waiting to be read and I've actually been looking forward to it. I don't mind stream of consciousness. I don't know what Jacobs cream crackers are, but I don't eat anything without a drink in hand so I'm starting to feel a little nervous about it.
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4044  Postby Macdoc » May 12, 2017 2:42 pm

yes it is - don't bother
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4045  Postby Blip » May 13, 2017 4:04 am

NamelessFaceless wrote:
romansh wrote:
Pulsar wrote:

Is it really that bad? It's in my stack of books waiting to be read and I've actually been looking forward to it. I don't mind stream of consciousness. I don't know what Jacobs cream crackers are, but I don't eat anything without a drink in hand so I'm starting to feel a little nervous about it.

I love Rushdie and have read all his novels; he always divides opinion, in my experience. Go for it!
Evolving wrote:Blip, intrepid pilot of light aircraft and wrangler with alligators.
Blip

Female

Jolly Roger (arr)
Print view this post

#4046  Postby romansh » May 13, 2017 4:04 pm

NamelessFaceless wrote:
romansh wrote:
Pulsar wrote:

Is it really that bad?

You will have to judge for yourself ... see if you can beat 30 pages.

Jacobs cream crackers ... if I remember correctly they are a vehicle for eating cheese?
"That's right!" shouted Vroomfondel, "we demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"
romansh

Print view this post

#4047  Postby theropod » May 13, 2017 8:13 pm

Moby Dick. I know. I have read literally thousands of books, but for some reason this one never crossed my path. Typical of the period in which it was written the language is overly flowery and often less than clear. Still, an interesting study in obsession. About half way through.

RS
Sleeping in the hen house doesn't make you a chicken.
theropod
RS Donator

Name: Roger
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4048  Postby surreptitious57 » May 15, 2017 6:12 am

I have just bought Midnights Children and it will be my next book to read. Although I have zero love for Jacobs Cream Crackers I have no problem with streams of consciousness. Hopefully I shall not be disappointed. After that I will read
East West Street by Philippe Sands. The reviews for this have been amazing all the more so given that it is non fiction
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#4049  Postby surreptitious57 » May 15, 2017 6:29 am

theropod wrote:
Typical of the period in which it was written the language is overly flowery and often less than clear

Crime And Punishment and The Castle are also exactly the same
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#4050  Postby Animavore » May 15, 2017 11:26 am

This book is blowing my mind!

A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#4051  Postby Macdoc » May 15, 2017 6:11 pm

That looks good tho pretty pricey.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4052  Postby Animavore » May 16, 2017 8:43 am

I have it on audio book narrated by this chap below and it's wonderful.

http://www.audiofilemagazine.com/narrat ... k-perkins/
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#4053  Postby Fallible » May 16, 2017 11:51 am

It's about 4 quid in the local supermarket, I saw it last time in was there, and nearly bought it. Will have to pick it up when I go back.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4054  Postby surreptitious57 » May 24, 2017 5:24 am

Fallible was right. Reading Rushdie is like trying to eat twenty Jacobs Cream Crackers without a drink. I managed 111 pages
but could go no further. It is just one long uninterrupted stream of consciousness. And Midnights Children is supposed to be his best as well but on the basis of what I have read it did not deserve the Booker at all. I am now reading The Executioners
Song
by Norman Mailer. A Pulitzer prize winning novel about the capital punishment of Gary Gilmore who chose to be put to death instead of serving a life sentence for a double murder. And even though it is 1056 pages I know I will finish it if it is as good as the other Pulitzer I have read : American Pastoral by Philip Roth. And Rushdie should read that if he has not already done so as it is what a great novel looks like. Unlike what he has written
surreptitious57

Print view this post

#4055  Postby don't get me started » May 24, 2017 5:53 am

Animavore wrote:This book is blowing my mind!

Yep, one of the best books I read last year.
I liked the author's explorations into the fabrications/delusions that we indulge in to make society work.
Money....yeah, as long as we all pretend that this piece of paper can be exchanged for that pint of beer, we'll be alright.
Even though we both know the piece of paper is in actual fact valueless. The whole system only works because people believe in it.

This is related to some of the stuff I research in language and pragmatics. In Conversation Analysis researchers use the term 'talk into being'. That is, through talk, people actually construct social reality in the here and now of the interaction.

Great book and I've heard good things about the follow up 'Homo Deus'. I'll get round it it at some point.
don't get me started

Japan (jp)
Print view this post

#4056  Postby Fallible » May 24, 2017 6:16 am

surreptitious57 wrote:Fallible was right. Reading Rushdie is like trying to eat twenty Jacobs Cream Crackers without a drink. I managed 111 pages
but could go no further. It is just one long uninterrupted stream of consciousness. And Midnights Children is supposed to be his best as well but on the basis of what I have read it did not deserve the Booker at all. I am now reading The Executioners
Song
by Norman Mailer. A Pulitzer prize winning novel about the capital punishment of Gary Gilmore who chose to be put to death instead of serving a life sentence for a double murder. And even though it is 1056 pages I know I will finish it if it is as good as the other Pulitzer I have read : American Pastoral by Philip Roth. And Rushdie should read that if he has not already done so as it is what a great novel looks like. Unlike what he has written

*smug*

As it happens, I am reading American Pastoral right now. It's quite ponderous, but strangely absorbing. I find myself regarding it longingly as it resides on the coffee table while I'm doing something else.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#4057  Postby Animavore » May 25, 2017 9:08 pm

A lofty tome made loftier by the fact I can't read more than three paragraphs without my thinky meat going off on tangents while it marinates in intellect juices.

9781594205071.jpg
9781594205071.jpg (32.36 KiB) Viewed 2573 times

Seriously. Such an engaging and accessible writer. Full of humorous anecdotes and pop culture references while explaining things such as human aggression and the amygdala. The breadth and scope expands the mind 'til it presses so hard against the inner wall of the skull, trepanning is needed to release the pressure.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#4058  Postby NamelessFaceless » Jun 09, 2017 2:32 pm

Amazon Prime has really been stepping up their game with Prime Reading. Not only do they now allow you to borrow up to 10 books at a time, some of them come with free Audible which is pretty cool.

But they've also released a few "Prime Exclusive" audible books with some really impressive audible narrations. I found The Jungle narrated by Casey Affleck, which I've almost completed. Casey's squeaky voice is perfect for this book, too. They also have Tom Sawyer narrated by Nick Offerman. I can't even imagine a better-suited voice for that book. It will be like it's being read by Mark Twain himself. I can't wait to get started on that one.

The only problem is, I don't know how to find these "exclusives." I just happened to stumble across those two. :confused:
NamelessFaceless

Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4059  Postby Macdoc » Jun 29, 2017 3:17 pm

Enjoyed reading this pretty much in one go. This the audiobook cover,

Start it - sleep - finish the next morning. Very very engaging.

Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#4060  Postby Macdoc » Jul 04, 2017 5:33 pm

My mind is officially blown .....wow .....I literally had NO idea!!!!!. :what:
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Books