What have you recently purchased?

Discuss books here.

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: What have you recently purchased?

#181  Postby Fallible » Aug 25, 2011 6:25 pm

210karman wrote:
Fallible wrote:I recently bought a Kindle. I know of its limitations with regard to illustrations ect, but I am mostly interested in fiction so this doesn't bother me. First thought - I'm very impressed.

I just bought the one with the 3G. I found this post in searching to see if anyone was discussing Kindles. Anyway, my first and only book so far is a compilation of classics starting with Moby Dick. I made a pact with myself that I wouldn't download more books until I've read (or at least made a very concerted effort to read) what I already have on the Kindle. In the past I have kept picking up paperbacks when travelling and leaving more than a few of them unread. With the Kindle I'm trying to convince myself I only have one book and I must read it all! Anyway, I am also very impressed though I keep accidentally changing page. I would have preferred the page forward button on the side a bit further up.

ps I've been on Moby Dick for nearly two weeks now and I want to find that whale as bad as Captain Ahab. :dopey:

Oh good grief, I completely missed this! Sorry, 210karman! How are you getting on now? Find that whale?

I spent hours the other day going through all the free books for Kindle on Amazon. Took me forever! I'm addicted to books, I have hundreds, if not thousands. Mind you I like it that way - it means I always have a choice of what to read next. My idea of hell is having nothing to read.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#182  Postby j.mills » Aug 25, 2011 8:41 pm

Well, don't forget you can always download any old free text off the likes of Project Gutenberg, Fallible. That's another 36,000 without trying... :grin:
WordsVoiceLimericky tweets

There is grandeur in this view of life
Where one becomes many through struggle and strife,
But the Mother of Mysteries is another man's call:
Why is there something 'stead of nothing at all?

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#183  Postby Fallible » Aug 25, 2011 9:18 pm

Yar! I have yet to fully investigate there. Just found a CD on eBay which has several of Carl Sagan's books for Kindle, which do not seem to be available in the UK. Even if it doesn't work, it's only about 2 quid.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#184  Postby j.mills » Aug 25, 2011 9:42 pm

Fallible wrote:Even if it doesn't work, it's only about 2 quid.

:scratch:

"The food here is terrible!"
"Yes - and such small portions!"
:lol:

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#185  Postby laklak » Aug 25, 2011 9:56 pm

Lets see, today so far - new 5/8 inch keyed chuck for a Makita hammer drill (I hate the keyless ones), 2x4s to build sawhorses, drywall joint compound, new plywood blade for the circular saw. Then to the grocery store - 2 bags of fresh limes, bottle of tequila, 12 pack of Corona, bottle of sauvignon blanc, pound or so of fresh haddock, bunch of cilantro, a mango, a pineapple, asparagus, potatoes.

So it's blackened haddock with mango/pineapple salsa, boiled potatoes, grilled asparagus, and two tickets to Margaritaville. Tomorrow it's drywall time, and most likely medicinal lager.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#186  Postby Fallible » Aug 25, 2011 10:07 pm

j.mills wrote:
Fallible wrote:Even if it doesn't work, it's only about 2 quid.

:scratch:

"The food here is terrible!"
"Yes - and such small portions!"

Just me being suspicious of any technology I have not yet experienced. I've only downloaded stuff off Amazon so far.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#187  Postby j.mills » Aug 25, 2011 10:15 pm

laklak wrote:Lets see, today so far - new 5/8 inch keyed chuck for a Makita hammer drill (I hate the keyless ones), 2x4s to build sawhorses, drywall joint compound, new plywood blade for the circular saw. Then to the grocery store - 2 bags of fresh limes, bottle of tequila, 12 pack of Corona, bottle of sauvignon blanc, pound or so of fresh haddock, bunch of cilantro, a mango, a pineapple, asparagus, potatoes.

So it's blackened haddock with mango/pineapple salsa, boiled potatoes, grilled asparagus, and two tickets to Margaritaville. Tomorrow it's drywall time, and most likely medicinal lager.

Good, good. Only, you do know you're in the Books forum, don't you? :dopey:

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#188  Postby j.mills » Aug 31, 2011 10:16 pm

I just ordered Dawkins' new collaboration with graphic artist Dave McKean, The Magic Of Reality. Aimed at the younger reader, but the art should be well worth the tenner. :dopey: It comes out October 4th.

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#189  Postby Fallible » Aug 31, 2011 10:25 pm

Nais!

Got my parcel from a nice little eBay seller who deals in CDs containing several books by individual authors for download to Kindle. Got Contact, The Demon Haunted World, Pale Blue Dot and Cosmos, the whole lot for £1.98, inc. p&p. Next is the Azimov collection they do.
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#190  Postby j.mills » Aug 31, 2011 11:20 pm

Heh! You're gonna need a bigger CD.

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#191  Postby laklak » Aug 31, 2011 11:23 pm

j.mills wrote:
laklak wrote:Lets see, today so far - new 5/8 inch keyed chuck for a Makita hammer drill (I hate the keyless ones), 2x4s to build sawhorses, drywall joint compound, new plywood blade for the circular saw. Then to the grocery store - 2 bags of fresh limes, bottle of tequila, 12 pack of Corona, bottle of sauvignon blanc, pound or so of fresh haddock, bunch of cilantro, a mango, a pineapple, asparagus, potatoes.

Good, good. Only, you do know you're in the Books forum, don't you? :dopey:

Lol, that's what I get for using "New Posts" and not looking at the forum. OK - just got the Kindle version of A Dance With Dragons.
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain
The sky is falling! The sky is falling! - Chicken Little
I never go without my dinner. No one ever does, except vegetarians and people like that - Oscar Wilde
laklak
RS Donator

Name: Florida Man
Male

Swaziland (sz)
Print view this post

#192  Postby Animavore » Sep 01, 2011 5:11 pm

j.mills wrote:I just ordered Dawkins' new collaboration with graphic artist Dave McKean, The Magic Of Reality. Aimed at the younger reader, but the art should be well worth the tenner. :dopey: It comes out October 4th.

I hope you ordered the UK version and not the USA one pictured?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#193  Postby j.mills » Sep 01, 2011 5:32 pm

Oh, izzat why the cover's different on amazon? I ordered from .uk, so should be fine: colour should be spelled right, etc.

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#194  Postby Animavore » Sep 01, 2011 6:10 pm

Alice Roberts has a new book.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Evolution-Human ... skept01-21
Sounds interesting.
Come face to face with our ancestors

Travel back 8 million years with Evolution The Human Story and go on a fascinating journey to discover how our species has developed from tree-dwelling primates to modern humans.

This is the first time that the story of evolution has been documented in such amazing visual detail thanks to the work of renowned Dutch paleoartists, Kennis and Kennis. Staggeringly realistic CGI and model reconstructions from original fossils bring us face to face with our ancestors portraying them as never before. Plus, Dr Alice Roberts shares her extensive knowledge helping answer all the big questions and more.

Evolution: The Human Story is packed with all the latest discoveries and profiles every human ancestor to date from Ardipithecus ramidus to Homo neanderthalensis. An essential read for anyone fascinated in finding out where we come from.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#195  Postby 210karman » Sep 02, 2011 9:15 pm

Fallible wrote:
210karman wrote:
Fallible wrote:I recently bought a Kindle. I know of its limitations with regard to illustrations ect, but I am mostly interested in fiction so this doesn't bother me. First thought - I'm very impressed.

I just bought the one with the 3G. I found this post in searching to see if anyone was discussing Kindles. Anyway, my first and only book so far is a compilation of classics starting with Moby Dick. I made a pact with myself that I wouldn't download more books until I've read (or at least made a very concerted effort to read) what I already have on the Kindle. In the past I have kept picking up paperbacks when travelling and leaving more than a few of them unread. With the Kindle I'm trying to convince myself I only have one book and I must read it all! Anyway, I am also very impressed though I keep accidentally changing page. I would have preferred the page forward button on the side a bit further up.

ps I've been on Moby Dick for nearly two weeks now and I want to find that whale as bad as Captain Ahab. :dopey:

Oh good grief, I completely missed this! Sorry, 210karman! How are you getting on now? Find that whale?

I spent hours the other day going through all the free books for Kindle on Amazon. Took me forever! I'm addicted to books, I have hundreds, if not thousands. Mind you I like it that way - it means I always have a choice of what to read next. My idea of hell is having nothing to read.

My turn to apologize for a late reply. I've been so busy lately I havent had much time to be on Ratskep. Anyway, to cut a long story short I've now finished Moby Dick, King Solomon's Mines and 20,000 Leagues under the sea. Only Treasure Island, Gulliver's Travels and Swiss Family Robinson to go before I download a new book. :dance: One strange thing, it was ingrained in my head from boyhood that the "20,000" in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was a depth measurement. It only registered it was distance during the reading. :dopey: One last thing, I wish the page forward button on the Kindle was a bit higher up on the side. I keep turning pages accidentally.
Lighthouses are more helpful then churches — Benjamin Franklin.

It may be that ministers really think that their prayers do good and it may be that frogs imagine that their croaking brings spring - Robert Ingersoll.
210karman
RS Donator

Male

Norway (no)
Print view this post

#196  Postby Fallible » Sep 02, 2011 9:23 pm

Ah yeah, I find that too. Also the markings are rubbing off the directional button. Not that it really matters, it's just a nuisance. I've ordered 2 more of those CDs - an Isaac Asimov one and an Arthur C. Clarke one, both with several books on them. AAAARRRGHHH!!!
Fallible
RS Donator

Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#197  Postby j.mills » Sep 02, 2011 9:50 pm

210karman wrote:it was ingrained in my head from boyhood that the "20,000" in 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea was a depth measurement.

That bothered me before I twigged too, especially since 20,000 leagues down would be out the other side of the Earth and a fifth of the way to the Moon!

Only Treasure Island, Gulliver's Travels and Swiss Family Robinson to go

As a kid I started reading Swiss Family Robinson. One of the few books in my life that I didn't finish, and without doubt the most boring. :yawn:

God it was dull!

The Darwin Song Project
j.mills

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#198  Postby Varangian » Sep 02, 2011 9:57 pm

Latest batch: "Total War" by Michael Jones (Eastern Front warfare 1942-45), "Saturnalia" by Lindsey Davis (detective story set in ancient Rome), "Fall of Giants" by Ken Follett (epic novel set in the early 20th century), "Dead of Winter" by Rennie Airth (crime story set in the late 1930's), and a book on the fighting in Eastern Prussia 1944-45 by two German generals, Dieckert & Grossmann. That'll keep me occupied for a while.

"Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings,
and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities." - H.P. Lovecraft
Varangian
RS Donator

Name: Björn
Male

Sweden (se)
Print view this post

#199  Postby 210karman » Sep 02, 2011 11:04 pm

j.mills wrote:

As a kid I started reading Swiss Family Robinson. One of the few books in my life that I didn't finish, and without doubt the most boring. :yawn:

God it was dull!

Yeah. They establish a bank and turn all the pirates into investors, right. :lol: Actually I saw the film as a child and seem to remember it was The Swiss Walton's meet The Pirates of Blood River. Well, at least I'll be able to claim I've read a Swiss book. :)
Lighthouses are more helpful then churches — Benjamin Franklin.

It may be that ministers really think that their prayers do good and it may be that frogs imagine that their croaking brings spring - Robert Ingersoll.
210karman
RS Donator

Male

Norway (no)
Print view this post

#200  Postby Spinozasgalt » Sep 03, 2011 12:46 am

Received it this morning. :grin:
When the straight and narrow gets a little too straight, roll up the joint.
Or don't. Just follow your arrow wherever it points.

Kacey Musgraves
Spinozasgalt
RS Donator

Name: Jennifer
Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Books