Can a woman bishop speak for god in England?

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

#1  Postby DoctorE » Apr 20, 2010 11:57 am

Welcome to the echo chamber. If you tuned in to the fierce battle over gay bishops in the Episcopal Church -- whether it would fracture the U.S. branch of the worldwide Anglican Communion and maybe the Communion as well -- you will certainly hear a familiar clashing sound if you pick up the latest New Yorker.

In the context of a massive look at the history, status and struggles of the Church of England (miniscule church attendance, immigration, rising fundamentalist and charismatic Protestantism), writer Jane Kramer examines its current fight over whether to ordain female bishops.

Things are slower over there. It took England nearly two decades longer - until 1994 -- to allow female priests in the Church of England. The Episcopal Church ordained women officially in 1976 (although 11 were "unofficially" brought to the pulpit in Philadelphia in 1974). While that the CofE's governing Synod will debate female bishops at its July meeting, the Episcopal Church already is led by one, presiding bishop Katherine Jefferts Schori.

Continues: http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... Stories%29
DoctorE

Male

Iceland (is)
Print view this post

Re: Can a woman bishop speak for god in England?

#2  Postby Byron » Apr 20, 2010 4:58 pm

Ironically, it's reformers who seem to be delaying things, by refusing to give the traditionalists the provision they want. If the request for a third province, or some other institutional solution, were agreed, things could move forward immediately. Most trads who couldn't stomach being in the same church as ordained women went back in 1992. What those who remain tend to want is a space of their own within the CofE.

Instead, a feeble "code of practice" is offered, and there seems to be a progressive block who will accept only total victory, with traditionalists forced to either accept women priests, or leave. Such illiberalism from the self-styled liberals.

*Disclaimer* I find the theological arguments against women's ordination weak in the extreme. Why the possession of meat'n'veg is more essential to standing in persona Christi than being a Middle Eastern Jew, I've no idea. The arguments fall back on a vauge appeal to "tradition" in no time, which boils down to "it's always been this way, so it always should be", which falls apart on its own terms when evidence of deconesses in the early church is adduced. But this isn't about what I think, but how those who think differently should be treated.
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#3  Postby Dr. Kwaltz » Apr 20, 2010 9:01 pm

I see no reason why not. I mean, they all make shit up anyway and women are quite good at that too!
Coworker on food:
We have 4 basic food groups: alcohol, fat, chocolate and caffeine... Get them all in a Mudslide!
Me:
I'm a tea lover - Long Island Ice Tea to be specific.
Dr. Kwaltz

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#4  Postby devogue » Apr 29, 2010 9:48 am

It's PETUNIAS TIME again, folks!!!

The Blue Butterfly
devogue

Male

Chile (cl)
Print view this post

#5  Postby NineBerry » Apr 29, 2010 9:58 am

"God has a penis. So no."

That's what a Catholic indirectly said on a talk show a few weeks back.
NineBerry
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby trubble76 » Apr 29, 2010 10:07 am

NineBerry wrote:"God has a penis. So no."

That's what a Catholic indirectly said on a talk show a few weeks back.

Perhaps he was flicking through his god pin-up calendar and noticed the godly bulge as god posed on the bonnet of an Aston Martin Vantage. It couldn't be stuffing as that would be a deceit and god don't do dat.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose,
And nothin' ain't worth nothin' but it's free.

"Suck me off and I'll turn the voltage down"
trubble76
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Return to Christianity