Christian leaders we like

despite disagreeing about the God bit

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Christian leaders we like

#1  Postby Emmeline » Apr 03, 2013 6:48 pm

We know we disagree with them re: God / Jesus so this isn't the thread for that but are there Christian leaders you like or admire or respect for their humanity, their politics, their humour etc ?

I like Rev Giles Fraser for his humanity - he is a vocal supporter of LGBT people & he resigned as Canon Chancellor of St Paul's during the "Occupy" protest as he "could not sanction any policy of the chapter of St Paul's to use force to remove the protesters". He now has a much more modest role as a parish priest in south London but the church conservatives haven't managed to shut him up as the media seem to love him. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giles_Fraser

I also like Rev Richard Coles, ex pop musician for being an openly gay vicar who is often amusing on Twitter http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Coles
Emmeline

Print view this post

Re: Christian leaders we like

#2  Postby Calilasseia » Apr 03, 2013 6:58 pm

I could happily live with Desmond Tutu as a neighbour, even if he thinks Magic Man is real. Let's see:

Campaigns against inequality and poverty - check;
Campaigns against sexism - check;
Campaigns against homophobia and transphobia - check;
Campaigns for effective measures against HIV, including condoms - check;
Campaigns against flagrant breaches of human rights such as "extraordinary rendition" - check;

Fucking hell, at this rate we should be inviting him to become leader of the Labour Party! :mrgreen:
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#3  Postby kiore » Apr 03, 2013 7:00 pm

Bugger the Labour Party, lets invite him to join the forum :mrgreen:
Folding@Home Team member.
What does this stuff mean?
Read here:
general-science/folding-home-team-182116-t616.html
kiore
Senior Moderator

Print view this post

#4  Postby Panderos » Apr 03, 2013 7:09 pm

Can't go wrong with Rowan..at least where it matters: great beard.... even better voice...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uc952jZkww[/youtube]

Mmmmmmm

Youtube commenter wrote:I cannot wait till this idiot goes, he's one dirty left-wing PRICK who hates this country

:lol:
"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire
Panderos

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#5  Postby HughMcB » Apr 03, 2013 7:16 pm

Jesus.
"So we're just done with phrasing?"
HughMcB
RS Donator

Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#6  Postby tuco » Apr 03, 2013 7:45 pm

Jan Hus :smoke:
tuco

Print view this post

#7  Postby The Plc » Apr 03, 2013 8:06 pm

I like a lot of what Desmond Tutu has to say, one especially is impressed when he even goes against the bigoted dogma of his church. Of course, good can even be found in the heirarchy of the Catholic Church, whose pronouncements against the crimes of poverty would probably have Republican party hacks denouncing them as a part of a Stalinist conspiracy.
The Plc

Print view this post

#8  Postby Matt_B » Apr 03, 2013 8:09 pm

John Shelby Spong, Gene Robinson and Richard Holloway for trying to advance Christianity beyond bigotry and theology that's detached from reality.

Still, it has to be said that Rowan Williamson and Pope Benedict XVI seem to have done their utmost to destroy their respective churches from within though, and what's not to like about that?
"Last night was the most horrific for Kyiv since, just imagine, 1941 when it was attacked by Nazis."
- Sergiy Kyslytsya
Matt_B

Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#9  Postby quisquose » Apr 03, 2013 8:27 pm

Emmeline wrote:We know we disagree with them re: God / Jesus so this isn't the thread for that but are there Christian leaders you like or admire or respect for their humanity, their politics, their humour etc ?

I like Rev Giles Fraser for his humanity - he is a vocal supporter of LGBT people & he resigned as Canon Chancellor of St Paul's during the "Occupy" protest as he "could not sanction any policy of the chapter of St Paul's to use force to remove the protesters". He now has a much more modest role as a parish priest in south London but the church conservatives haven't managed to shut him up as the media seem to love him. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giles_Fraser

I also like Rev Richard Coles, ex pop musician for being an openly gay vicar who is often amusing on Twitter http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Coles

Not exactly Christian "leaders" though.

Although I can sort of begrudgingly agree about Giles Fraser, I have a distant memory of some bullshit stuff he said which I can't quite remember now so thinking hard. Thought his curveball at Dawkins about remembering the full title of Darwin's book was sneaky, funny but basically a bit underhand and irrelevant. Would like to sit with him with a pint nonetheless.

Deeply suspicious of Richard Coles though. Partly it's because my wife says "oh good, it's Richard Coles" when Saturday Live comes on, but mainly because I think his niceness is a front. He got into a rather heated argument with Marcus Brigstocke on Victoria Coren's radio programme which made me think he hates atheists just as much as Carey and Cormac Murphy O'Fuckshisname. Oh, and he lurves Alain de Botton far too much, and why does he need two salaries?

So my vote goes to Taj Hargey. I like the way he's pretending to be an Imam to piss off the Muslims. I have got that right haven't I? :scratch:
quisquose
RS Donator

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby Fallible » Apr 03, 2013 9:14 pm

Again not a leader, but I think James O'Brien is a decent bloke who speaks a lot of sense despite his Catholicism. He never shies away from highlighting the problems with religion and the views of some religious people.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#11  Postby Emmeline » Apr 03, 2013 10:04 pm

quisquose wrote:
Emmeline wrote:We know we disagree with them re: God / Jesus so this isn't the thread for that but are there Christian leaders you like or admire or respect for their humanity, their politics, their humour etc ?

Not exactly Christian "leaders" though.

Although I can sort of begrudgingly agree about Giles Fraser, I have a distant memory of some bullshit stuff he said which I can't quite remember now so thinking hard. Thought his curveball at Dawkins about remembering the full title of Darwin's book was sneaky, funny but basically a bit underhand and irrelevant. Would like to sit with him with a pint nonetheless.

Deeply suspicious of Richard Coles though. Partly it's because my wife says "oh good, it's Richard Coles" when Saturday Live comes on, but mainly because I think his niceness is a front. He got into a rather heated argument with Marcus Brigstocke on Victoria Coren's radio programme which made me think he hates atheists just as much as Carey and Cormac Murphy O'Fuckshisname. Oh, and he lurves Alain de Botton far too much, and why does he need two salaries?

So my vote goes to Taj Hargey. I like the way he's pretending to be an Imam to piss off the Muslims. I have got that right haven't I? :scratch:

By "leaders" I meant anything from a priest to the ABC, rather than just your Christian neighbour or colleague so I think Richard Coles qualifies here. I'm sure he does have a "not so nice" side when he's defensive or riled about something but you could say the same about Brigstocke (who is likeable for his humour IMO)
Emmeline

Print view this post

#12  Postby willhud9 » Apr 04, 2013 2:31 am

Craig Groeschel and Lou Giglio are my favourite evangelicals. Groeschel because I know him personally and Giglio because of his Passion conferences and ministries against human trafficking.

On the Anglican side, Desmond Tutu and N.T Wright are my favourite. Tutu because of the above mentioned qualities, and Wright because of his academic approach to presenting the Gospel.

On the Catholic side, I cannot name any I find highly favourable, but I did admire John Paul II. His successor was a pathetic filler for the seat when John Paul II passed on.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#13  Postby Ihavenofingerprints » Apr 04, 2013 3:50 am

Father Bob has a radio show every sunday night here on the ABC (co hosted with an atheist). Pretty funny guy. Pretty sure he got forced to resign from the catholic church for actually spending his life helping the less fortunate and standing up for minorities, as opposed to the constantly scaring people who don't conform to catholic dogma. (which seems to be what they want)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XG1LtXdtWU[/youtube]
Ihavenofingerprints

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#14  Postby Weaver » Apr 04, 2013 6:33 am

I like Mother Theresa.

I really like that the cruel, heartless bitch is fucking dead, and cannot harm any more poor people while funneling massive amounts of money donated for their care to the Church.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Scar » Apr 04, 2013 7:00 am

Weaver wrote:I like Mother Theresa.

I really like that the cruel, heartless bitch is fucking dead, and cannot harm any more poor people while funneling massive amounts of money donated for their care to the Church.

This.
Scar

Name: Michael
Male

Germany (de)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Animavore » Apr 04, 2013 7:07 am

Father Brian D'Arcy. Liberal Irish priest with opposing views on priest being allowed marry, contraception, and harsh critic of Church child abuse whom the Vatican tried to censor. :nono:
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Thomas Eshuis » Apr 04, 2013 8:06 am

Gene Robinson and Desmond Tutu, for reasons already mentioned. And the guy at the start of this video who's name I keep forgetting:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhu_ryd3Dak[/youtube]
"Respect for personal beliefs = "I am going to tell you all what I think of YOU, but don't dare retort and tell what you think of ME because...it's my personal belief". Hmm. A bully's charter and no mistake."
Thomas Eshuis

Name: Thomas Eshuis
Male

European Union (eur)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Emmeline » Apr 04, 2013 10:09 am

Weaver wrote:I like Mother Theresa.

I completely agree but could we have this sort of post in another thread rather than this one, which is supposed to be for people we admire / like / respect?
Emmeline

Print view this post

#19  Postby Weaver » Apr 04, 2013 11:09 am

Yep, sorry.
Retired AiF

Cogito, Ergo Armatus Sum.
Weaver
RS Donator

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post