Christians want to stone Killer Whale

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Christians want to stone Killer Whale

#1  Postby bluegrasser » Mar 03, 2010 9:00 pm

http://www.afa.net/Blogs/BlogPost.aspx?id=2147492239

They could sell tickets for this.

Sea World should allow this. Let them get in the tank and throw all the rocks they want.

:badidea:
bluegrasser
RS Donator

Print view this post

Re: Christians want to stone Killer Whale

#2  Postby Animavore » Mar 03, 2010 9:06 pm

Idiots.

And did you listen to that obnoxious and ridiculous woman talking on the video above?
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#3  Postby virphen » Mar 03, 2010 9:07 pm

Is there no evil and no stupidity that these fuckwits can't find a justification for in their book of myths
virphen

Male

Print view this post

#4  Postby Mishakal » Mar 03, 2010 9:09 pm

I don't know why people were shocked by this, name of that whales species is Killer Whale for a reason!

Plus that particular whale had already killed two people prior to this.
It is interesting to find that people of faith now seek defensively to say that they are no worse than Nazis or Stalinists. ~ Christopher Hitchens, on the supposed atheism of Hitler and Stalin
Mishakal

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby MoonLit » Mar 03, 2010 9:37 pm

Lol that website has the facts about Tilikum wrong as well.
He and two OTHER whales killed the first trainer. And the man that got into his tank in 1999 had frozen to death. In other words, Tili bit the man AFTER he was already dead. Natural selection simply won.

Lol sure they can stone the whale! They just have to do it while in Tili's tank.
I'll watch and laugh. :P
Image Image Image Image
Click the eggs please!
MoonLit
RS Donator

Name: Andi
Female

United States (us)
Print view this post

#6  Postby Sityl » Mar 03, 2010 9:41 pm

A wild animal acted wildly. News at 11.
Stephen Colbert wrote:Now, like all great theologies, Bill [O'Reilly]'s can be boiled down to one sentence - 'There must be a god, because I don't know how things work.'

Sityl

Name: Ser Sityllan Payne
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#7  Postby Paul1 » Mar 03, 2010 9:43 pm

I know sometimes when wild animals kill people it is put down. But I really think this is wrong. If you live near a lion's habitat, look after killer whales, or take care of a dangerous animal - then you must be aware that it could turn on you and kill you at any moment. We should not put wild animals down just because they exercised their nature - if you don't like the heat, then don't play with fire!

I do agree that SeaWorld should have been more cautious given the creature's history of tendency towards aggression.
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two makes four. If that is granted, all else follows.
Paul1

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#8  Postby ElDiablo » Mar 03, 2010 9:54 pm

Bible ignored, trainer dies

Sounds like a headline from the Onion.
God is silly putty.
ElDiablo

United States (us)
Print view this post

#9  Postby hackenslash » Mar 03, 2010 10:30 pm

Fun facts: The killer whale isn't a whale. It's the largest species of dolphin. :thumbup:
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby Paul1 » Mar 03, 2010 10:58 pm

Also known as Orcas I believe. And they pass the mirror test
Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two makes four. If that is granted, all else follows.
Paul1

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#11  Postby SpiritualNotReligius » Mar 03, 2010 11:23 pm

Well, it is just one biblicist who wants to stone. Unless there are more blogging like that, big deal. There are rational people who want the whale killed for the same reason, albeit more humanely. And animal rights want the whale released to the wild. That may or may not destroy the animal. I guess one that was raised in captivity was released and starved within a year.
SpiritualNotReligius

Print view this post

#12  Postby bluegrasser » Mar 04, 2010 2:27 pm

There are rational people who want the whale killed for the same reason, albeit more humanely.

No, not for the same reason. They want to become whale killers because the bible told them so. That is not a decision reached through a rational process. Rational people may reach the same conclusion, but not for the same reason.

Perhaps, if we give them some credit, they may come to a conclusion through reason and then look for justification in the bible, but that last step undermines the position and removes their decision from the category of "reason." At a minimum, it certainly indicates a lack of confidence in their own intellectual process by seeking external verification through divine revelation.
bluegrasser
RS Donator

Print view this post

#13  Postby Count Otto Black » Mar 04, 2010 2:38 pm

Paul1 wrote:I know sometimes when wild animals kill people it is put down. But I really think this is wrong. If you live near a lion's habitat, look after killer whales, or take care of a dangerous animal - then you must be aware that it could turn on you and kill you at any moment.

Typically it's because humans aren't natural prey. When a tiger discovers it can eat one of these hairless apes and they're rubbish at running away/have no sharp teeth or claws/don't climb trees well, they tend to do so again and again as if they just realised this is easier than catching a deer. The crews building railways in India discovered this to their cost.

I wouldn't put the whale down though. It's already in captivity. I'd just be very careful around it.

The worry would be whether it could teach the other whales...
I shall tell you a great secret, my friend. Do not wait for the last judgment, it takes place every day. - Albert Camus -
Count Otto Black

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#14  Postby SpiritualNotReligius » Mar 04, 2010 2:48 pm

bluegrasser wrote:
There are rational people who want the whale killed for the same reason, albeit more humanely.

No, not for the same reason. They want to become whale killers because the bible told them so. That is not a decision reached through a rational process. Rational people may reach the same conclusion, but not for the same reason.

Perhaps, if we give them some credit, they may come to a conclusion through reason and then look for justification in the bible, but that last step undermines the position and removes their decision from the category of "reason." At a minimum, it certainly indicates a lack of confidence in their own intellectual process by seeking external verification through divine revelation.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. The reason both sets want it dead is because it killed. Both come from imaginary sources. The one is a bible and the other is fear, imagining that it will do it again.

My point is that we don't know that there is more than one person that is using that reason in the bible to suggest that it be killed. I do know from watching the news though that there are many wanting the whale saved and many wanting the whale dead.

The trainer according to people who knew her would want the whale left alive. She died doing what she loved.
SpiritualNotReligius

Print view this post

#15  Postby Robert_S » Mar 04, 2010 7:54 pm

Some People Got a Lotta Nerve

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXl870NoF4E[/youtube]
Robert_S

Male

Print view this post

#16  Postby Paul G » Mar 05, 2010 3:25 pm

Count Otto Black wrote:
Paul1 wrote:I know sometimes when wild animals kill people it is put down. But I really think this is wrong. If you live near a lion's habitat, look after killer whales, or take care of a dangerous animal - then you must be aware that it could turn on you and kill you at any moment.

Typically it's because humans aren't natural prey. When a tiger discovers it can eat one of these hairless apes and they're rubbish at running away/have no sharp teeth or claws/don't climb trees well, they tend to do so again and again as if they just realised this is easier than catching a deer. The crews building railways in India discovered this to their cost.

I wouldn't put the whale down though. It's already in captivity. I'd just be very careful around it.

The worry would be whether it could teach the other whales...

You think the death was deliberate?
Paul G

Name: Beef Joint
Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Prof. Faust » Mar 05, 2010 7:20 pm

I'll admit that the Sea World staff was foolish to use an animal with a history of violence, but this is just ridiculous.
For a moment, consider the set of all sets that have never been considered.
Prof. Faust

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#18  Postby Durro » Mar 06, 2010 4:29 am

C'mon guys, he wasn't calling for the Orca to be stoned. He was suggesting that it be euthanised and cited the bible's instructions to kill an animal that kills a person as the precedent.

:nono:
I'll start believing in Astrology the day that all Sagittarians get hit by a bus, as predicted.
Durro
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Har » Mar 06, 2010 6:19 am

Durro is right. Why is everyone saying he wants to stone the creature?

What apparently gave the story some legs is that I was falsely reported as calling for the stoning of the killer whale, when of course I did nothing of the sort. I simply called for the animal to be euthanized, which can be done humanely and entirely without using rocks. I'm sure, for instance, that the veterinarians at SeaWorld have put animals down any number of times. Plus even if you wanted to stone a giant dolphin to death, I'm not sure exactly how you'd go about doing it.
Har

Male

Print view this post

#20  Postby bluegrasser » Mar 06, 2010 3:19 pm

You may be right, but one could not discern that from his original post.

It is not unreasonable to assume that by calling for the death of the animal and quoting scripture about stoning animals as the justification for that action, that he was advocating that exact course of action. The word "euthanized" was not used until he updated the post.

This is one of the obvious problems with using scripture as a guide. Does he advocate following the whole verse, just the first part, or just using one's own interpretation? He did not make that clear until he was ridiculed in the press.
bluegrasser
RS Donator

Print view this post

Next

Return to Christianity