Creation and Evolution Yoked Together?

Money handed out to marry the two

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Creation and Evolution Yoked Together?

#1  Postby proudfootz » Feb 15, 2013 5:37 am

Yay! Finally science and faith can live in harmony!

Congratulations to the 37 winners of the Evolution & Christian Faith (ECF) grants competition! ECF is a new BioLogos program designed to support projects and network-building among scholars, church leaders, and parachurch organizations. Each project takes a different approach to address theological and philosophical questions commonly voiced by Christians about evolutionary creation.

Many of the scholarly projects tackle questions about Adam and Eve, the Fall, human identity, and Original Sin—some of the most critical interpretive issues for evangelical theology. Some examples:

Theologian Oliver Crisp of Fuller Seminary will take an analytic theology approach to ask to what extent a theological account of the origin of human sin depends upon the evolution of modern humans from one and only one ancestral pair—especially if that pair does not appear to correspond to what we would think of as modern human beings.

Pastor Michael Gulker and philosopher James Smith, leading a large team from The Colossian Forum, ask a related question: if humanity emerged from non-human primates—as genetic, biological, and archaeological evidence seems to suggest—then what are the implications for Christian theology’s traditional account of origins, including both the origin of humanity and the origin of sin?

Biologist Dennis Venema of Trinity Western University and New Testament scholar Scot McKnight of Northern Seminary will write a book on the evidence for evolution and population genetics, with informed theological reflection on how these issues interact with orthodox Christianity.

Biologist David Wilcox of Eastern University will develop an updated model of human identity which reflects the complex recent scientific advances in genetics and paleoanthropology and yet is sensitive to theological concerns.
These are just a few of the scholarly awards; check out the Grantees page for full descriptions of all Track 1 and Track 2 projects.

<article at link below>

http://biologos.org/blog/evolution-and- ... yndication

Not so fast!

BioLogos: Who are these guys?

I suppose on the face of it, nonbelievers shouldn’t care if Christians want to embrace biological evolution. In fact, it sounds like a promising idea. However, if that embrace suffocates the scientific method, then we can hardly call it a victory. Indeed, if we look at the BioLogos charter do we find science and religion viewed as a partnership of equals? Hardly.

Under the heading “What We Believe,” they state:

7. We believe that the methods of science are an important and reliable means to investigate and describe the world God has made. In this, we stand with a long tradition of Christians for whom Christian faith and science are mutually hospitable. Therefore, we reject ideologies such as Materialism and Scientism that claim science is the sole source of knowledge and truth, that science has debunked God and religion, or that the physical world constitutes the whole of reality. (emphasis added)

<full post at link below>

http://vridar.wordpress.com/2013/02/15/ ... istianity/

Looks like there's always going to be money to be made as a pet 'scholar' helping the religious feel comfortable...
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

Re: Creation and Evolution Yoked Together?

#2  Postby DarthHelmet86 » Feb 15, 2013 6:09 am

Making money hand over foot keeping others and more than likely themselves in the fold. Keeping the awkward questions from leading to even more awkward answers.

Also this part has an easy answer,

if humanity emerged from non-human primates—as genetic, biological, and archaeological evidence seems to suggest—then what are the implications for Christian theology’s traditional account of origins, including both the origin of humanity and the origin of sin?

Humanity emerging from non-human primates...i.e still being primates...means that the Biblical account is, wait for it, wrong, incorrect, not factual, made up, lies. See easy answer, now pay me my money.
I. This is Not a Game
II. Here and Now, You are Alive
DarthHelmet86
RS Donator

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#3  Postby Calilasseia » Feb 15, 2013 6:35 am

Oh this is Francis Collins' pet project, his desperate attempt to try and show that science props up conservative Christian ideology. Good luck with that.
Signature temporarily on hold until I can find a reliable image host ...
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#4  Postby willhud9 » Feb 15, 2013 10:07 pm

I personally do not mind BioLogos. I think it is an effective counter to the Discovery Institute which sadly has more sway on political matters. At least BioLogos is composed of actual scientists who actually understand the science.

You have to deal with baby steps with the average person in regards to science. Many do not fully understand the science because they do not understand how the science actually works. They are told a conclusion: evolution is the change in life over long periods of time, without actually getting taught the nitty gritty details of how evolution works. That and concepts such as millions of years pass over our heads. Furthermore religion does play a major factor in the lives of millions of people in the western world and it is naive of atheist scientists to dismiss the religious as frivolous. I would rather see Christians ditch creationism and come to terms with the science first and foremost before they ditch the archaic concepts found within Christianity.

Which is why when one goes into one of the most prominent museums in the world: The Museum of Natural History in New York City you can find this sign within the evolutionary science section:

Francis Collins is a highly intelligent man with a passion for science as well as God. I can't really fault him for his convictions because his convictions does not allow him to ignore reality and empirical data.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#5  Postby Byron » Feb 16, 2013 12:11 am

I'm, reluctantly, with Will on this. (Reluctance is nothing personal! :D ) I'm not at all comfortable with mixing theology and science in this way, or delineating science within a statement of belief. But it's coming from an evangelical Christian paradigm, and is, like Will says, working in baby steps. I'm equally frustrated that Rachel Held Evans still hasn't come out and said that committed same-sex relationships aren't sinful, and that the British pastor Steve Chalke avoided the issue of equal marriage in his own endorsement of them. I gotta accept that, within their own context, these folks are out on a limb, and will lose support if they go too far, too fast.
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#6  Postby Bribase » Feb 16, 2013 2:11 am

Tough one. I guess I admire the spirit but not the letter of what Biologos is trying to achieve. I might well be being pigheaded here but Biologos seems to be deeply incoherent in the message they are trying to communicate. At base they are posing the question of what the scientific understanding of the living world that human beings arrived at via the application of methodological naturalism can tell us about the Christian God's role in the universe.

I'm amenable to the idea that evolution and the belief in a personal God are possible. It's just it seems to me that in every case the acceptance of the scientific method is a move towards deism and away from theism. A god with less things to do and less room to do it in.
Bribase

Male

Print view this post

#7  Postby willhud9 » Feb 16, 2013 2:21 am

Bribase wrote:Tough one. I guess I admire the spirit but not the letter of what Biologos is trying to achieve. I might well be being pigheaded here but Biologos seems to be deeply incoherent in the message they are trying to communicate. At base they are posing the question of what the scientific understanding of the living world that human beings arrived at via the application of methodological naturalism can tell us about the Christian God's role in the universe.

I'm amenable to the idea that evolution and the belief in a personal God are possible. It's just it seems to me that in every case the acceptance of the scientific method is a move towards deism and away from theism. A god with less things to do and less room to do it in.

Well correct, it is a class one God of Gaps argument. If Adam and Eve are just folktales where did the concept of humanity and souls begin? How about sin? Where does sin come into play? Or was the fall of man simply a lesson saying sin is disobedience from God? If it is simply a lesson than what is disobedience from God? The path goes forever onwards to more questions and no steady and consistent answers. This is why I could be damned about my Old Testament studies, the New Testament is where it's at! :smoke: :shifty:

But I do not have a problem with the core values and ideals of Christianity. I truly do believe that if everyone followed the values of the New Testament the world would indeed be a better place. Which is why I have no problem with Christians trying to assimilate science into their worldview. Too me its a kind of honesty. Kent Hovind said that if it came down between reality and doctrine, he'd choose doctrine. These Christians are saying that they accept reality and are willing to question established doctrine. That's a step forward and can only go forward.
Fear is a choice you embrace
Your only truth
Tribal poetry
Witchcraft filling your void
Lust for fantasy
Male necrocracy
Every child worthy of a better tale
willhud9

Name: William
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#8  Postby james1v » Feb 16, 2013 2:41 am

DarthHelmet86 wrote:Making money hand over foot keeping others and more than likely themselves in the fold. Keeping the awkward questions from leading to even more awkward answers.

Also this part has an easy answer,

if humanity emerged from non-human primates—as genetic, biological, and archaeological evidence seems to suggest—then what are the implications for Christian theology’s traditional account of origins, including both the origin of humanity and the origin of sin?

Humanity emerging from non-human primates...i.e still being primates...means that the Biblical account is, wait for it, wrong, incorrect, not factual, made up, lies. See easy answer, now pay me my money.

The standard priestly reply...My fee is... ;) Making a living out of early weather forecasts, beats backbreaking tilling the fields for a living. That's the priesthood for yer, forecasting! "Afterlife"! ;)
"When humans yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon". Thomas Paine.
james1v

Name: James.
Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#9  Postby Bribase » Feb 16, 2013 3:14 am

willhud9 wrote:
Bribase wrote:

Well correct, it is a class one God of Gaps argument. If Adam and Eve are just folktales where did the concept of humanity and souls begin? How about sin? Where does sin come into play? Or was the fall of man simply a lesson saying sin is disobedience from God? If it is simply a lesson than what is disobedience from God? The path goes forever onwards to more questions and no steady and consistent answers.

The point is, or at least I hope it is, that the forum that Biologos opened was opened to discuss exactly those kinds of questions. The problem is that for all of their acceptance of the scientific method for the field of biology they won't apply the same thing to the field of theology. Why not ask what grounds there are for the existence of Adam and Eve, the soul, sin, the fall of man and God? Because evolution is a universal acid.

This is why I could be damned about my Old Testament studies, the New Testament is where it's at! :smoke: :shifty:

You're one of us now, Will. I'm pretty sure you're damned anyway.

But I do not have a problem with the core values and ideals of Christianity. I truly do believe that if everyone followed the values of the New Testament the world would indeed be a better place. Which is why I have no problem with Christians trying to assimilate science into their worldview.

I don't want to derail, but I'm often taken aback when you make such sweeping statements. The NT provides a far better code of behaviour than the OT, that's true. But there are plenty of valid reasons to think Jesus' purported teachings to be a terrible moral code in many ways. For me the worst was the emphasis on the imminent end of the world when it was decidedly not the case. Out of interest have you read Matt Dillahunty's critique of the sermon on the mount?

Too me its a kind of honesty. Kent Hovind said that if it came down between reality and doctrine, he'd choose doctrine. These Christians are saying that they accept reality and are willing to question established doctrine. That's a step forward and can only go forward.

Absolutely, and that's always to be commended.
Bribase

Male

Print view this post

#10  Postby Doubtdispelled » Feb 16, 2013 10:24 am

proudfootz wrote:Looks like there's always going to be money to be made as a pet 'scholar' helping the religious feel comfortable...

Money to be made, certainly. But it appears that in order to eventually make them feel comfortable, you first have to tell them they are interpreting the basic stuff all wrong..... This man claims to know the minds of the early church fathers.

Denis Alexander on Understanding Creation Theology

:roll:

Biologos looks as though it is guaranteed to produce some wonderfully convoluted thinking and entertaining reading!
God's hand might have shaken just a bit when he was finishing off the supposed masterwork of his creative empire.. - Stephen King
Doubtdispelled

Print view this post

#11  Postby Animavore » Feb 16, 2013 11:12 am

Evolution debunks Christianity. There was no Adam and Eve. No 'original sin'. Jesus died for a myth. Thinking you can reconcile faith with reality is a sad and wasteful pipe-dream propped by the desperate.
A most evolved electron.
Animavore

Name: The Scribbler
Male

Ireland (ie)
Print view this post

#12  Postby quas » Feb 16, 2013 2:07 pm

I think they call it "theistic evolution" which probably means that evolution is somehow guided by God such that humans are around today.
The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem
those who think alike than those who think differently. -Nietzsche
quas

Print view this post

#13  Postby Bribase » Feb 16, 2013 3:08 pm

quas wrote:I think they call it "theistic evolution" which probably means that evolution is somehow guided by God such that humans are around today.

I think their term is "evolutionary creation", it actually seems like a much more acceptable term; God's creation is evolutionary in character. "Theistic evolution" is simply the idea that God diddled with animals in order to make humans, really just another form of ID which, if I'm correct, is what Biologos stands in opposition to.
Bribase

Male

Print view this post

#14  Postby Shrunk » Feb 16, 2013 4:17 pm

Calilasseia wrote:Oh this is Francis Collins' pet project, his desperate attempt to try and show that science props up conservative Christian ideology. Good luck with that.

Collins is no longer associated with BioLogos. I guess being head of the NIH keeps him pretty busy (plus I suspect he may realize how any active involvement there would undermine his position ad NIH). BioLogos did come up with some respectable articles debunking creationism when he was involved, but it seemed to take a nosedive after he left. I stopped paying any attention to them at all when they started to do things like argue for Adam and Eve as being real people, and from the OP it seems they've only doubled down on that since.
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#15  Postby Calilasseia » Feb 16, 2013 9:03 pm

Which means that when Collins leaves political office, and is able to rejoin, he might find himself "expelled" as a heretic ... :mrgreen:
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#16  Postby Shrunk » Feb 16, 2013 9:54 pm

Calilasseia wrote:Which means that when Collins leaves political office, and is able to rejoin, he might find himself "expelled" as a heretic ... :mrgreen:

I think his position on stem cell research might already have accomplished that for a large contingent of Christians (the ones who hadn't already dumped him for his acceptance of evolution).

That said, I agree with those who can't get too worked up over people like Collins who try to accomodate their religious dogma to scientific reality. As has been said, it's a start. But I also think it can only go so far before one has to choose which side of the fence to land on. As was said:

Animavore wrote:Evolution debunks Christianity. There was no Adam and Eve. No 'original sin'. Jesus died for a myth. Thinking you can reconcile faith with reality is a sad and wasteful pipe-dream propped by the desperate.

Exactly. It seems to me the theological problems this form of accomodation raises are intractable. How can it be that the actual death and actual resurrection of an actual person be required to atone for a metaphorical or mythological sin committed by metaphorical or mythological people? :ask:
"A community is infinitely more brutalised by the habitual employment of punishment than it is by the occasional occurrence of crime." -Oscar Wilde
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#17  Postby Byron » Feb 16, 2013 11:30 pm

Shrunk wrote:[...]
Animavore wrote:Evolution debunks Christianity. There was no Adam and Eve. No 'original sin'. Jesus died for a myth. Thinking you can reconcile faith with reality is a sad and wasteful pipe-dream propped by the desperate.

Exactly. It seems to me the theological problems this form of accomodation raises are intractable. How can it be that the actual death and actual resurrection of an actual person be required to atone for a metaphorical or mythological sin committed by metaphorical or mythological people? :ask:

That assumes you want to maintain a sacrificial model of the atonement (or indeed, any model of the atonement). You could equally say, in best modernist fashion, that all the "Christ as second Adam" stuff was 1st century folks viewing Jesus' death through a mythological prism. We can now junk that gloss and reinterpret it.

As good evangelicals, the Biologos band would be aghast at this heresy. (Just as other evangelicals would be aghast at their evolutionary heresy: and so it goes.) So we're confronted with a pragmatic choice: is it better for evangelicals to reconcile themselves with evolutionary biology and practice their chosen theology; or to use it as a banner to rally their fellow believers against a sizable chunk of the scientific academy?

I go with option one. Fair play to those who want to go with the third option of persuading them to no longer be evangelicals. Something easier said than done, I fear.
I don't believe in the no-win scenario.
Kirk, Enterprise

Ms. Lovelace © Ms. Padua, resident of 2D Goggles
Byron

Male

Print view this post

#18  Postby proudfootz » Feb 17, 2013 2:46 pm

Shrunk wrote:
Calilasseia wrote:Which means that when Collins leaves political office, and is able to rejoin, he might find himself "expelled" as a heretic ... :mrgreen:

I think his position on stem cell research might already have accomplished that for a large contingent of Christians (the ones who hadn't already dumped him for his acceptance of evolution).

That said, I agree with those who can't get too worked up over people like Collins who try to accomodate their religious dogma to scientific reality. As has been said, it's a start. But I also think it can only go so far before one has to choose which side of the fence to land on. As was said:

Exactly. It seems to me the theological problems this form of accommodation raises are intractable. How can it be that the actual death and actual resurrection of an actual person be required to atone for a metaphorical or mythological sin committed by metaphorical or mythological people? :ask:

It would seem the realization that the 'old testament' stories upon which the 'new testament' stories are based are effectively exposed as mythology will have a healthy effect on anyone who is inclined to be persuaded by evidence.

No six day Creation, no Adam and Eve, no talking Serpent, no Magic Fruit, no Noah and his ark, no Abraham and Isaac, no Moses and no Exodus, no Job, no Samson and his jawbone, et al - if one begins to let go of this stuff I think the penny will drop for some: christianity is an invented cure for an invented disease.

Obviously like any religious system christianity is infinitely adaptable - just being in conflict with the facts isn't enough for many people. The myth of the Israelites being slaves in Egypt is a story that resonates with people, and it doesn't matter that none of it ever happened. No doubt theologians can make it presentable in sophisticated company as a metaphor for a kind of 'spiritual bondage' or whatever.

I think efforts to 'reconcile' faith with reality are just place-savers: wherever the hard-won gains of practical and scientific insight lose their grip the literalists will rush in again. Real knowledge takes effort and made-up stories are easy - there's always going to be a tendency to accept magical thinking: God made everything, Jesus loves me, this world is a spiritual battle ground between Good and Evil, and Grandma went to Heaven.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekc2Nn03IVM[/youtube]

Here's a speech by scientist Jerry Coyne on his reasoning why religion and science are antithetical.
Last edited by Calilasseia on Feb 17, 2013 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed YouTube Tag
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#19  Postby Shrunk » Feb 17, 2013 3:44 pm

Byron wrote:That assumes you want to maintain a sacrificial model of the atonement (or indeed, any model of the atonement). You could equally say, in best modernist fashion, that all the "Christ as second Adam" stuff was 1st century folks viewing Jesus' death through a mythological prism. We can now junk that gloss and reinterpret it.

As good evangelicals, the Biologos band would be aghast at this heresy. (Just as other evangelicals would be aghast at their evolutionary heresy: and so it goes.) So we're confronted with a pragmatic choice: is it better for evangelicals to reconcile themselves with evolutionary biology and practice their chosen theology; or to use it as a banner to rally their fellow believers against a sizable chunk of the scientific academy?

I go with option one. Fair play to those who want to go with the third option of persuading them to no longer be evangelicals. Something easier said than done, I fear.

All true, but then I fail to see the point of BioLogos' argument. Their goal, as I understand it, is to demonstrate that modern scientific knowledge can be reconciled w/ evangelical Christianity. They view themselves as exemplars of a rational middle course between the dogmatism of creationism on one side, and of "militant atheism" on the other. The problem is, as you demonstrate, they have no basis for this argument. In an argument between them and the creationists over whether evolutionary theory is compatible with the evangelical view of Christianity, I'd have to side with the creationists. Rather than showing how the two can be reconciled, the BioLogos folk confirm that the two ideas can be only be held by ignoring their incompatibility. In so doing, they actually cede the intellectual high ground to the creationists, who at least have the integrity to ensure that their views are not internally contradictory.
Shrunk

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#20  Postby Calilasseia » Feb 17, 2013 6:18 pm

Just to let you know, I've saved this post and this post for posterity. Nice exposition of the problems Collins and the BioLogos people are going to face.

Meanwhile ...

Shrunk wrote:All true, but then I fail to see the point of BioLogos' argument. Their goal, as I understand it, is to demonstrate that modern scientific knowledge can be reconciled w/ evangelical Christianity.

Except that it can't, because evangelical Christianity erects assertions about the world that we know to be plain, flat, wrong. How do we know this? Oh, that's right, science. Which means that Collins' enterprise is doomed to failure from the start.

Shrunk wrote:They view themselves as exemplars of a rational middle course between the dogmatism of creationism on one side, and of "militant atheism" on the other.

Except of course, that "militant atheism" is a supernaturalist fabrication. One can only be "militant" with respect to insistence that blind assertions dictate to reality. Atheists don't assert this, indeed, they recognise that the opposite is true - reality dictates which assertions should be thrown into the bin. Not that this elementary fact ever prevents supernaturalists from erecting this apologetic fabrication.

Shrunk wrote:The problem is, as you demonstrate, they have no basis for this argument.

In short, the enterprise is doomed to failure from the start.

Shrunk wrote: In an argument between them and the creationists over whether evolutionary theory is compatible with the evangelical view of Christianity, I'd have to side with the creationists. Rather than showing how the two can be reconciled, the BioLogos folk confirm that the two ideas can be only be held by ignoring their incompatibility.

Whoops.

Shrunk wrote:In so doing, they actually cede the intellectual high ground to the creationists, who at least have the integrity to ensure that their views are not internally contradictory.

Well I'd dispute the idea that creationist assertions are in any way consistent, given the numerous examples present here on these forums of manifest inconsistency arising within creationist apologetics. Such as erecting the tiresome "fine tuning" apologetics on the one hand, followed in the next breath by the erection of fantastic schemes for the recent history of the Earth, that would drive a tank battalion through their earlier "fine tuning" apologetics, if any of these fantastic schemes had ever been real. Not to mention the wholesale failure to maintain even the most elementary level of consilience with known science. But then creationists are not interested in science, they're interested in hegemony for their sad little masturbation fantasy of a doctrine, which they delude themselves into thinking dictates how reality behaves, regardless of whether or not reality agrees with this. A stance that was unwittingly exposed in an entirely uncharacteristic moment of candour by arch-charlatan and pathological liar for doctrine Henry Morris.
Calilasseia
RS Donator

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

Next

Return to Christianity