New book: mythicists respond to Ehrman's Did Jesus Exist?

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: New book: mythicists respond to Ehrman's Did Jesus Exist?

#141  Postby MS2 » May 03, 2013 7:08 am

RealityRules wrote:
Goldenmane wrote:Frankly, I'd like to see some actual quotes from Ehrman demonstrating the charges. Rather than reiterations or quotes from those who are laying such charges.

And I don't even have a dog in this fight. I'd just like to see some legitimately elevated level of intellectual discourse on the subject - which means backing your fucking claims.
MS2 wrote:As far as I can tell, Goldenmane is referring to RealityRules's abject failure to back up his charges of ad homs in Ehrman's book with evidence from Ehrman's book. That's got nothing to do with 'actual arguments' found elsewhere.

I've read a fair bit of it and so far none of the authors have succeeded in doing what RR has failed to do. (Though they have thrown an awful lot of mud.)

FFS read the several posts I have made [on this issue] this thread, such as this one -

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/christianity/new-book-mythicists-respond-to-ehrman-s-did-jesus-exist-t38844-60.html#p1694678

To your many other, shall we say, 'difficulties' in this thread, looks like we need to add comprehension problems. I'll try to make it easier for you.

Now concentrate hard.

Here are the important words: 'evidence from Ehrman's book'.
Mark
MS2

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#142  Postby RealityRules » May 03, 2013 10:18 am

Now concentrate hard: several people have written about how Ehrman disses several people 'in his book'
RealityRules

Name: GMak

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#143  Postby Zwaarddijk » May 03, 2013 10:20 am

RealityRules wrote:Now concentrate hard: several people have written about how Ehrman disses several people 'in his book'

FAIL! But as luck would have it, you get one more attempt!
Zwaarddijk

Male

Finland (fi)
Print view this post

#144  Postby RealityRules » May 03, 2013 11:22 am

You get more than one attempt to review the post I have made with several references to several comments by several people

eg http://www.rationalskepticism.org/christianity/new-book-mythicists-respond-to-ehrman-s-did-jesus-exist-t38844-60.html#p1695197

and

In Bart Erhman and the Quest of the Historical Jesus of Nazareth: An Evaluation of Ehrman's Did Jesus Exist? (Cranford, NJ: American Atheist Press, 2012), Dr. Robert M. Price, in his "Introduction" writes, beginning on p. xxi -

[quote]Acharya S (pen name of D.M. Murdock) is one of the prime targets for Professor Ehrman's haughty derision. Her chief sin in Ehrman's eyes would appear to be her lack of diplomas on the wall, notwithstanding Acharya's extensive researches, including on-site investigations of archaeological materials, and her extensive documentation of her theories.[/quote]

The comments here - http://www.freethoughtnation.com/contributing-writers/63-acharya-s/786-new-book-about-bart-ehrman-and-the-christ-myth.html#CommentForm - are interesting eg.

FTL - CONGRATULATIONS ACHARYA S !!!!!

When I first read Dr. Bart Ehrman's book 'Did Jesus Exist?' I noticed that he never even mentioned your mythicist position or astrotheology, instead, he went for cheap shots of ridicule making his best attempt to embarrass you with the phallic statue for example, however, that effort has proven to be a monumental failure

Paul Donohue - Thanks
I read Bart's book and will get yours. I thought he was overly critical of you and others.

Keith Van Soest - Intellectual snobbery.
Having read Ehrman's "Did Jesus Exist?" as well as almost all of his books, I am truly disappointed in his treatment of the Christ mythicists.
I do believe he is a great scholar, but he surely slipped in this case which, with the disdain he shows for those researchers who do not occupy professional chairs at institutions of learning, show him to be an intellectual snob.
RealityRules

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#146  Postby RealityRules » May 03, 2013 11:25 am

By the way, what is this spurious straw-man red-herring ad hominem in reference to?
MS2 wrote:Wow RR, are you really going to keep on digging? I guess it's not that surprising, given your previously displayed inability to realise you are wrong.
RealityRules

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#147  Postby proudfootz » May 03, 2013 12:48 pm

Byron wrote:
proudfootz wrote:I'm not a big fan of the personal attacks - which is why I found it offensive Ehrman compared 'mythicists' to 'holocaust deniers'. Which Ehrman does in the introduction to his book, and his advertising blitz for the book (such as his Huffington Post rant and live interviews).

The Huffington Post "rant" has already been addressed. If you want to engage with any of those responses, please do. Otherwise you're just repeating what's been said.

It's also in his book and his interviews. Do try to keep up.

It's a blanket slur against scholars whose findings Ehrman doesn't like. He opens his book with it.

Some of the scholars singled out by Ehrman disapproved of Ehrman's tactics, his apparent inability to understand the arguments he's trying to attack, and being misrepresented by Ehrman, and have responded in a variety of ways, including this book.

Amongst that "variety of ways" are personal attacks, which you say you're not a big fan of: does this mean you disapprove of Carrier accusing Ehrman of lying, and Price slinging rhetoric about "police brutality" at him?

Now what is the context of these alleged 'attacks'? Have you read the book? Are these unevidenced slurs a la Ehrman or do the authors back up their characterizations with examples?

Rhetoric so strong that when Thomas Verenna says, among other things, "The title of this volume bespeaks the purpose: it is a series of essays with the intent to character assassinate,"

That's Rook Hawkins' take on the book. I haven't read the book or take my cues from Rook.

Is the intent to 'assassinate' Ehrman's character? The character of someone who recklessly trivializes the Holocaust by comparing people to 'holocaust deniers' when the topic has nothing to do with WWII? The character of someone who feels compelled to inoculate his readers against opposing views by damning them as 'like creationists' and unworthy of dialogue? The character of someone who tries to make an issue of someone's education and can't be bothered to know what education their intended target has? The character of a scholar whose understanding of the theories he's trying to rebut is so abysmal the most charitable interpretation is that he didn't bother to read them?

You don't need to assassinate such a character - they've committed character suicide.

Carrier doesn't deny it; he justifies it:-
[Verenna's] complaints are warranted but I think maybe a little excessive. Ehrman’s unscrupulous and shoddy work in DJE? does deserve some of the polemical treatment it gets in the Zindler-Price anthology–it is basically how he treated these mythicist authors, on exactly the same grounds, so it’s not as if Ehrman himself has any right to complain unless he couples his complaint with an apology for doing the same.

Carrier's justification comes down to, in Verenna's words, "Ehrman started it." I don't agree that two wrongs make a right, but this fails even on its own terms, as no one's produced evidence that Ehrman's behaved in comparable fashion. The quotes from Did Jesus Exist? show him being courteous to those he disagrees with. His thanks is this.

Perhaps you need to read DJE? - comparing people to 'holocaust deniers' and 'creationists' isn't considered courteous in some circles.

I'm still not seeing how Ehrman responding to every prominent mythicist can be called singling people out. Perhaps you can explain?

You don't see how Ehrman calling out people by name is 'singling them out'? :scratch:

Who, exactly are you accusing of

We have a recurrent theme here: accusing Ehrman of various dastardly tactics while ignoring or sweeping past the many arguments he advances
?

Is it the authors of the books you haven't read?

Or posters on this thread?

Or is this just another sweeping generalization apropos of nothing? :scratch:

Anyone who uses the method described.

:lol:

We have a recurrent theme here: accusing Zindler et al of various dastardly tactics while ignoring or sweeping past the many arguments they advance.
Last edited by proudfootz on May 03, 2013 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#148  Postby MS2 » May 03, 2013 12:50 pm

Go on RR, you can do it. Nobody's looking. Confession is good for the soul. Just whisper it quietly if you want: you were wrong, you made assertions you can't back up; you can't provide any evidence from Ehrman's book.
Mark
MS2

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#149  Postby proudfootz » May 03, 2013 12:55 pm

RealityRules wrote:
Byron wrote:
proudfootz wrote:I'm not a big fan of the personal attacks - which is why I found it offensive Ehrman compared 'mythicists' to 'holocaust deniers'. Which Ehrman does in the introduction to his book, and his advertising blitz for the book (such as his Huffington Post rant and live interviews).

The Huffington Post "rant" has already been addressed. If you want to engage with any of those responses, please do. Otherwise you're just repeating what's been said.

Byron, perhaps you might to engage with
Ehrman compared 'mythicists' to 'holocaust deniers'. Which Ehrman does in the introduction to his book [Did Jesus Exist?], and his advertising blitz for the book (such as his Huffington Post rant and live interviews)

Apparently comparing someone to a 'holocaust denier' is a good thing, but comparing them to a police officer is bad.

You can't make this stuff up - they really did post such nonsense!
"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't." - Mark Twain
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#150  Postby RealityRules » May 03, 2013 12:58 pm

proudfootz wrote:Is the intent to 'assassinate' Ehrman's character? The character of someone who recklessly trivializes the Holocaust by comparing people to 'holocaust deniers' when the topic has nothing to do with WWII? The character of someone who feels compelled to inoculate his readers against opposing views by damning them as 'like creationists' and unworthy of dialogue? The character of someone who tries to make an issue of someone's education and can't be bothered to know what education their intended target has? The character of a scholar whose understanding of the theories he's trying to rebut is so abysmal the most charitable interpretation is that he didn't bother to read them?

You don't need to assassinate such a character - they've committed character suicide.

My intent was/is not to assassinate Erhman's character, but to highlight his approach invokes a poisoning-the-well fallacy by ad hominem.

However, his approach in conjunction with his spurious arguments is either, as proudfootz points out, a type of suicide; or a way to concentrate a counter-argument to the one he attempts to puts forward. Is Ehrman teasing out a series of jousts?
RealityRules

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#151  Postby proudfootz » May 03, 2013 1:04 pm

RealityRules wrote:
proudfootz wrote:Is the intent to 'assassinate' Ehrman's character? The character of someone who recklessly trivializes the Holocaust by comparing people to 'holocaust deniers' when the topic has nothing to do with WWII? The character of someone who feels compelled to inoculate his readers against opposing views by damning them as 'like creationists' and unworthy of dialogue? The character of someone who tries to make an issue of someone's education and can't be bothered to know what education their intended target has? The character of a scholar whose understanding of the theories he's trying to rebut is so abysmal the most charitable interpretation is that he didn't bother to read them?

My intent was/is not to assassinate Erhman's character, but to highlight his approach invokes a poisoning-the-well fallacy by ad hominem.

However, his approach in conjunction with his spurious arguments is either, as proudfootz points out, a type of suicide; or a way to concentrate a counter-argument to the one he attempts to puts forward. Is Ehrman teasing out a series of jousts?

Until I have better evidence, I'm just going to have to take Ehrman at his word: he really does consciously believe the stuff he says and writes.

The hand-wringing over people 'assassinating Ehrman's character' while defending Ehrman's slurs is hard to take seriously, though.
proudfootz

United States (us)
Print view this post

#152  Postby dejuror » May 03, 2013 4:42 pm

proudfootz wrote:

Until I have better evidence, I'm just going to have to take Ehrman at his word: he really does consciously believe the stuff he says and writes.

The hand-wringing over people 'assassinating Ehrman's character' while defending Ehrman's slurs is hard to take seriously, though.

In "Did Jesus Exist?" Ehrman may have committed "suicide". He may have "assassinated" his own credibility.

Examine page 179 of "Did Jesus Exist?"

Ehrman absolutely agrees that the Gospels are historically problematic.
Ehrman agrees that the Gospels present many genuine problems.

Turn the page. Examine page 180 of "Did Jesus Exist?"

Ehrman now claims that the Gospels are among the best attested books of the ancient world.

Something is radically wrong with Ehrman's "Did Jesus Exist?".
dejuror

Print view this post

#153  Postby Stein » May 03, 2013 5:11 pm

LOL! A poster claims that Ehrman indulges in ad homs in Ehrman's book, and when challenged, such passages are shown as not being ad homs, for perfectly cogent reasons. Then instead of addressing those reasons, the first poster just tails off in repeated assertions that have nothing to do with the disputed passages in Ehrman's book at all. Talk about living in an alternate reality!

Stein
Stein

United States (us)
Print view this post

#154  Postby MS2 » May 03, 2013 7:24 pm

Tim Hem wrote:
dejuror wrote:This thread is most fascinating. After Ehrman's "Did Jesus Exist?" HJers are still no closer to ending their quest for HJ.

Ehrman appeared to have the advantage of seeing all the supposed errors of the amateur mythicists.

But somehow something went radically wrong.

Ehrman's arguments collasped into logical fallacies.

See "Did Jesus Exist?" page 180, 182 and 184.

Ehrman claimed the Gospels are among the best attested books of the ancient world and in the very same chapter admitted the Gospels and the New Testament are riddled with accounts of Jesus that most likely did not happen.

was that intended as an example of the claim by Ehrman of the twisting of his words by critics? Good job if it was - you illustrated it beautifly

Yeah dejuror's pretty good at that. Everybody is good at something right? And since he's done it again later in the thread, we'd better look at what Ehrman actually said.

it is frequently argued by fundamentalist and conservative evangelical apologists for the Bible that since the New Testament is more frequently attested in ancient sources than any other book from antiquity, it can therefore be trusted. This argument, I’m afraid, contains a non sequitur. It is true that we have far more manuscripts for the books of the New Testament than for Homer, Plato, Aristotle, Euripides, Cicero, Marcus Aurelius—name your ancient author. But that has absolutely no bearing on the question of whether the New Testament books can be trusted. It is relevant only to the question of whether we can know what the New Testament books originally said.

Ehrman, Bart D. (2012-03-20). Did Jesus Exist?: The Historical Argument for Jesus of Nazareth (p. 178). Harper Collins, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

And here is the actual quote from the page dejuror refers to:
To begin with, even though the Gospels are among the best attested books from the ancient world, we are regrettably hindered in knowing what the authors of these books originally wrote. The problem is not that we are lacking manuscripts. We have thousands of manuscripts. The problem is that none of these manuscripts is the original copy produced by the author (this is true for all four Gospels—in fact, for every book of the New Testament). Moreover, most of these manuscripts were made over a thousand years after the original copies, none of them is close to the time of the originals—within, say, ten or twenty years—and all of them contain certifiable mistakes.

Ehrman, Bart D. (2012-03-20). Did Jesus Exist?: The Historical Argument for Jesus of Nazareth (p. 180). Harper Collins, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

My underlining. 'Twisting' possibly even understates it I'd say.
Mark
MS2

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#155  Postby RealityRules » May 03, 2013 8:23 pm

dejuror wrote: ... See "Did Jesus Exist?" page[s] 180, 1821 and 1842.

Ehrman claimed the Gospels are among the best attested books of the ancient world and in the very same chapter admitted the Gospels and the New Testament are riddled with accounts of Jesus that most likely did not happen.1, 2 (at bottom)

MS2 wrote:... we'd better look at what Ehrman actually said. ... here is the actual quote from the page dejuror refers to:
To begin with, even though the Gospels are among the best attested books from the ancient world, we are regrettably hindered in knowing what the authors of these books originally wrote. The problem is not that we are lacking manuscripts. We have thousands of manuscripts. The problem is that none of these manuscripts is the original copy produced by the author (this is true for all four Gospels—in fact, for every book of the New Testament). Moreover, most of these manuscripts were made over a thousand years after the original copies, none of them is close to the time of the originals—within, say, ten or twenty years—and all of them contain certifiable mistakes.

Ehrman, Bart D. (2012-03-20). Did Jesus Exist?: The Historical Argument for Jesus of Nazareth (p. 180). Harper Collins, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

My underlining. 'Twisting' possibly even understates it I'd say.

MS2 twists by not addressing the specific part (in blue) that dejuror actually quotes ...

As far as this passage ....
it is frequently argued by fundamentalist and conservative evangelical apologists for the Bible that since the New Testament is more frequently attested in ancient sources than any other book from antiquity, it can therefore be trusted. This argument, I’m afraid, contains a non sequitur. It is true that we have far more manuscripts for the books of the New Testament than for Homer, Plato, Aristotle, Euripides, Cicero, Marcus Aurelius—name your ancient author. But that has absolutely no bearing on the question of whether the New Testament books can be trusted. It is relevant only to the question of whether we can know what the New Testament books originally said.

Ehrman, Bart D. (2012-03-20). Did Jesus Exist?: The Historical Argument for Jesus of Nazareth (p. 178). Harper Collins, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

The last sentence
    - "It is relevant only to the question of whether we can know what the New Testament books originally said"
- is also a non-sequitur and whether we can know what what the NT books originally said is negated by what is said on p180:
Moreover, most of these manuscripts were made over a thousand years after the original copies, none of them is close to the time of the originals—within, say, ten or twenty years—and all of them contain certifiable mistakes. p.180

Ehrman, in a round about way, addresses the key issue of the lack of primary sources by saying that ....
most of these manuscripts were made over a thousand years after the original copies, none of them is close to the time of the originals p. 180

to fully address dejuror's points about what Bart says on pp.182 and 184

1 p. 182 of "Did Jesus Exist?" includes
"It is absolutely true, in my judgment, the New Testament accounts of Jesus are filled with discrepancies and contradictions in matters both large and small."

2 p. 184 includes
"It is true that the Gospels are riddled with other kinds of historical problems and that they relate accounts that almost certainly did not happen..."
RealityRules

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

#156  Postby GakuseiDon » May 03, 2013 9:51 pm

RealityRules wrote:In Bart Erhman and the Quest of the Historical Jesus of Nazareth: An Evaluation of Ehrman's Did Jesus Exist? (Cranford, NJ: American Atheist Press, 2012), Dr. Robert M. Price, in his "Introduction" writes, beginning on p. xxi -

Acharya S (pen name of D.M. Murdock) is one of the prime targets for Professor Ehrman's haughty derision. Her chief sin in Ehrman's eyes would appear to be her lack of diplomas on the wall, notwithstanding Acharya's extensive researches, including on-site investigations of archaeological materials, and her extensive documentation of her theories.

You keep appearing to forget that some of us here actually have Ehrman's DJE. I did a search of my Kindle version, and found nothing like that by Ehrman about Acharya S as expressed by Price.

Again: can you actually quote Ehrman from DJE on this?

I sense a bad pattern emerging, RealityRules. Are you checking the claims of Price, etc, against what Ehrman actually wrote in DJE at all? If so, then why aren't you quoting Ehrman instead of Price? If not, don't you think you should?
If Acharya S has seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of Pygmies. "The Pygmy Christ was born of a virgin, died for the salvation of his people, arose from the dead, and finally ascended to heaven." -- Acharya S
GakuseiDon

Print view this post

#157  Postby GakuseiDon » May 03, 2013 10:03 pm

proudfootz wrote:
Byron wrote:

It's also in his book and his interviews. Do try to keep up.

It's a blanket slur against scholars whose findings Ehrman doesn't like. He opens his book with it.

I have his book. Can you quote Ehrman where he gives it as a blanket slur against scholars whose findings he doesn't like?
If Acharya S has seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of Pygmies. "The Pygmy Christ was born of a virgin, died for the salvation of his people, arose from the dead, and finally ascended to heaven." -- Acharya S
GakuseiDon

Print view this post

#158  Postby GakuseiDon » May 03, 2013 10:14 pm

It's interesting to compare Ehrman and Carrier on looking at the good and bad of mythicism, and their views of Acharya S. Here is Ehrman from DJE (my bold):

While it is useful to provide a taste of the sensationalist claims that one can find in this literature, I do not think that the serious authors who have pursued a mythicist agenda (for example, G. A. Wells, Robert Price, and now Richard Carrier) can be tarnished with the same brush or be condemned with guilt by association. Their work has to stand or fall on its own, independent of the foibles and shortcomings of the sensationalists. Those who have done research do indeed make a case that Jesus did not exist. (Page 30)

Here are some quotes by Richard Carrier (my emphasis):
http://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/archives/667

I do not think it’s wrong to attack dumb arguments. What’s wrong is to attack only those and then claim to have won the whole argument. Only the latter is a straw man fallacy. The former, if combined with attacking the smartest arguments, is just being thorough (or entertaining or useful, as the case may be). And in his book (Did Jesus Exist?) it appears he does that properly (or at least makes an honest attempt to). It’s only the [Huffington Post] article that conflates things.

Carrier writes on Acharya S:
http://freethoughtblogs.com/carrier/archives/580

One of the reasons Murdock’s methodology goes off the rails is that she assumes everyone is out to get her and that there is always some sort of evil conspiracy against her work...

What concerns me more is her mean-spirited paranoia... I am interested in persuading academic professionals that a particular theory is true, or at least plausible enough to treat as respectably as other theories in the field. Every time I attempt to do that, I have the sloppy methodology of other mythers thrown in my face as a reason to dismiss all mythicism...

I have also had mythers’ unfriendly paranoia cited at me by professors in the field, forcing me to also prove I don’t act like that–I had dismissed that claim about Murdock in the past, but now seeing it flung at me, evidently the scholars who mentioned it to me were correct about it; this is not doing her or mythicism any good, it makes them both look like tinfoil hat.

I don't know where Dr RM Price got his impression of Ehrman's "haughty derision" of Acharya S, but I can't find anything by Ehrman specifically on Acharya S/Murdock in DJE that is even remotely as damning as Carrier's comments above.
GakuseiDon

Print view this post

#159  Postby RealityRules » May 03, 2013 11:28 pm

Yes, mythicists overstate their 'cases' and go ad hominem, too.
RealityRules

New Zealand (nz)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Christianity