Pedophile Priests Scandal

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Pedophile Priests Scandal

#1  Postby Federico » May 09, 2010 2:00 pm

It seems revelations about the existence of pedophile priests amongst the congregation are surfacing everywhere in the world where the Racc is present in any strength. This comes together with the discovery that denial and covering has occurred at highest level since even Pope Ratzinger when he was cardinal and Prefect of the Congregation for the Defence of Faith Doctrine, formerly known as the Saint (!) Inquisition, has done his outmost to put a lid on the scandal.
Now, however, the shit has hit the fan and the scandal is touching Bishops, and even Cardinals. The Pope himself may be in the front line.

"The German-born pontiff formally accepted the resignation offer made April 21 by Bishop Walter Mixa, an outspoken conservative voice in the German church and a military chaplain for Germany, as well as head of the Augsburg diocese.
Mixa's posting to Augsburg in summer 2005 was among the first appointments Benedict made at the start of his papacy."

Furthermore:

"The strains of the scandals seem to be dividing the top echelons of the church itself.
An Austrian Catholic news agency Kathpress reported on Friday that Vienna Cardinal Christoph Schoenborn blasted the Vatican's dean of the college of cardinals for seriously harming victims when, during Easter Sunday Mass in St. Peter's Square, Cardinal Angelo Sodano dismissed claims of clerical abuse as "petty gossip."
Schoenborn, a confidante of Benedict's and considered by Vatican watchers to be potential pope material himself, had already indirectly blamed Sodano for blocking a probe of sex abuse allegations against late Austrian Cardinal Hans Hermann Groer, who stepped down, officially for advanced age, after the complaints surfaced".

To paraphrase WC, for the Vatican it may not be yet the end, perhaps not even the beginning of the end, but certainly it is the end of the beginning.
Last edited by Federico on May 10, 2010 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.(Martin Luther King Jr)
Federico

Male

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

Re: Pedophile Priests Scandal

#2  Postby Roger Cooke » May 09, 2010 7:21 pm

I wouldn't expect the Church to disappear. For one thing, there are enormous numbers of faithful who filter all this information through the sieve of their faith. Anything disconfirming gets filtered out, even if it escaped the filter through which they get their news in the first place. (Many Catholics in the USA, I think, rely on EWTN to tell them what the news means. But EWTN is simply the voice of the hierarachy and never lets any dissent be heard.)

I do wonder what changes will occur, though. Will the control that the clergy have had over the thoughts of the faithful be broken? Will the ordinary Catholic come to think for himself or herself and not treat the pronouncements of the parish priest or the bishop or the Pope as binding on everyone? I hope so, but, as I say, there's a hard core of the faithful who regard it as a virtue not to do that.
"If it is a Miracle, any sort of evidence will answer, but if it is a Fact, proof is necessary" -- Mark Twain
Roger Cooke

Male

Print view this post

Return to Christianity