Pope: 'Evolution Is Not Inconsistent With Creation

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Pope: 'Evolution Is Not Inconsistent With Creation

#181  Postby monkeyboy » Nov 02, 2014 11:21 pm

hackenslash wrote:
Griz_ wrote:Reread John's response and pay attention to the capitalization of the word "Self". I'm not sure he believes in God as a separate entity in the traditional sense that we we tend to think of a God. To be honest, I'm not sure he is a Catholic at all.

Pretty sure he's a proponent of one of the ancient Scandinavian religions. One with goats and trip-trapping in it...

Yes, the wooly trinity being the baby goat, the tastier medium sized goat and the much tastier big billy goat gruff. Totally catholic outlook.
The Bible is full of interest. It has noble poetry in it; and some clever fables; and some blood-drenched history; and some good morals; and a wealth of obscenity; and upwards of a thousand lies.
Mark Twain
monkeyboy

Male

England (eng)
Print view this post

#182  Postby Griz_ » Nov 02, 2014 11:55 pm

Well, here we have proof that the wooly trinity is false. Everyone knows that young baby goats are much tastier and only an extremist zealot could fool themselves into believing that the old billy goat gruff is tastier. These are tough, stringy and strong tasting whereas the baby goat is tender and delicious, especially when boiled in it's mother's milk. A cooking technique prohibited by that cult in order to prevent it's followers from learning the truth.
Griz_

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#183  Postby John Platko » Nov 02, 2014 11:57 pm

hackenslash wrote:
John Platko wrote:If you have a more sensible interpretation to the Abraham story then please give it.

How about 'it's a fabrication'?

This is consistent with the widely-accepted view among scholars, not least because none of what's written in Genesis can be related to established history of the alleged period in the alleged timeframe.

Oh I'm on board with that. The Abraham story sounds like an act of active imagination to me.

To me, it just seems silly to think that some God exists that would give some loyalty test involving killing one;s son.

To me, that sentence is 9 words too long.

You are mistaken.

To me, that sentence is 9 10 words too long.

FIFY
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Name: John Platko
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#184  Postby hackenslash » Nov 03, 2014 12:02 am

Ah, yes. I overlooked the word 'some' in my deliberations.

Never said I was infallible, unlike the plonker at the head of the thread...
hackenslash

Name: The Other Sweary One
Male

Print view this post

#185  Postby John Platko » Nov 03, 2014 12:04 am

hackenslash wrote:
Griz_ wrote:Reread John's response and pay attention to the capitalization of the word "Self". I'm not sure he believes in God as a separate entity in the traditional sense that we we tend to think of a God. To be honest, I'm not sure he is a Catholic at all.

Pretty sure he's a proponent of one of the ancient Scandinavian religions. One with goats and trip-trapping in it...

That's a bit gruff.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#186  Postby hackenslash » Nov 03, 2014 12:08 am

:mrgreen:

Not nearly as gruff as most of my responses to your wibble have been. ;)
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#187  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Nov 03, 2014 1:36 am

I decided to try out being a Catholic. I've been one now for about 9 hours now, and I have to say it ain't half bad.

Any tips you can provide John?
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#189  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 03, 2014 1:52 am

CdesignProponentsist wrote:I decided to try out being a Catholic. I've been one now for about 9 hours now, and I have to say it ain't half bad.

I can suggest one arising from John's methodology of interpretation...

First, read the words in the Book. Second, consider what you would prefer those words to mean. Third, wherever possible, draw sketchy lines of justification for doing so - if in doubt, just throw some words together in haphazard fashion to form a sentence starting with the word 'because'.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!
Religion: Mass Stockholm Syndrome

Learn Stuff. Stuff good. https://www.coursera.org/
Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#190  Postby Griz_ » Nov 03, 2014 1:58 am

CdesignProponentsist wrote:I decided to try out being a Catholic. I've been one now for about 9 hours now, and I have to say it ain't half bad.

Well, Sundays are pretty easy with that "keeping the Sabbath rule" but don't fool yourself. It gets tougher. Be careful about the masturbation thing. I always seemed to have trouble with that one, especially on the weekends.
Griz_

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#191  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Nov 03, 2014 2:39 am

Spearthrower wrote:

First, read the words in the Book.

Which book is that?
"Things don't need to be true, as long as they are believed" - Alexander Nix, CEO Cambridge Analytica
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#192  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 03, 2014 3:11 am

CdesignProponentsist wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

Which book is that?

The one with a capital B.
I'm not an atheist; I just don't believe in gods :- that which I don't belong to isn't a group!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#193  Postby John Platko » Nov 03, 2014 1:55 pm

Griz_ wrote:Well, here we have proof that the wooly trinity is false. Everyone knows that young baby goats are much tastier and only an extremist zealot could fool themselves into believing that the old billy goat gruff is tastier. These are tough, stringy and strong tasting whereas the baby goat is tender and delicious, especially when boiled in it's mother's milk. A cooking technique prohibited by that cult in order to prevent it's followers from learning the truth.

Sounds like you're a Grimm man.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#194  Postby John Platko » Nov 03, 2014 1:57 pm

Well I find it helps if I stand as close as possible to the incense and take deep breaths.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#195  Postby John Platko » Nov 03, 2014 2:02 pm

Griz_ wrote:

Well, Sundays are pretty easy with that "keeping the Sabbath rule" but don't fool yourself. It gets tougher. Be careful about the masturbation thing. I always seemed to have trouble with that one, especially on the weekends.

What masturbation thing? :scratch: ohhh. that's not a masturbation thing :nono: - you're supposed to put money in there- oh my. But I do see your problem, it does tend to get full on weekends.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#196  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 03, 2014 2:17 pm

If the rest of John's exegesis is anything to go by, I am sure masturbation is perfectly fine

Romans 6:13 wrote:Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

Wanking is not permitted unless you're wanking over God, then it's not just fine but positively righteous!

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#197  Postby John Platko » Nov 03, 2014 2:23 pm

CdesignProponentsist wrote:
Spearthrower wrote:

Which book is that?

All things considered, I would suggest you start with:

http://www.amazon.com/Grimms-Complete-F ... nskepti-20

Although, as usual, Hackenslash made an excellent point, so perhaps it would be best for you to start with:

http://www.amazon.com/Norwegian-Folktal ... +folk+tale

And then once you have a good handle on exactly how such stories work. i.e. get comfortable with the
concept of not taking stories with talking animals (snakes for example) literally, and learn to sus out whatever
good moral can be milked from a story no matter how gimm it may be, then you're ready to move on to
the B book, where many trip and get trapped as they ..... well we'll cross the bridge when we get there.

And speaking of such things, I just love the moral of that story, I sus the moral to be: Don't be a troll because you
never know when an old goat is going to come along and "poke your eyeballs out your ears"1 and "crush you to bits body and bones"1.

[Reveal] Spoiler: 1
•Source: Peter Christen Asbjørnsen and Jørgen Moe, De tre bukkene Bruse som skulle gå til seters og gjøre seg fete, Norske Folkeeventyr, translated by George Webbe Dasent in Popular Tales from the Norse, 2nd edition (London: George Routledge and Sons, n.d.), no. 37, pp. 275-276. Translation revised by D. L. Ashliman.
I like to imagine ...
John Platko

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#198  Postby Spearthrower » Nov 03, 2014 2:34 pm

And I would undoubtedly be misrepresenting him if I were to point out that John said the primary guide to Catholicism is Grimm's Fairy Tales.

Spearthrower

Male

Print view this post

#199  Postby hackenslash » Nov 03, 2014 3:05 pm

Frankly, there's more insight into the human condition and more robust moral reasoning in Lord of the Rings than there is in the bible. Not to mention it's much better written and has Hobbitses in it...
hackenslash

Male

Print view this post

#200  Postby CdesignProponentsist » Nov 03, 2014 3:09 pm

Unfortunatly there aren't any proper guidelines on how much to beat my slave in LotR.
CdesignProponentsist

Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Christianity