Talking to Christians about AGW

Abrahamic religion, you know, the one with the cross...

Moderators: kiore, Blip, The_Metatron

Re: Talking to Christians about AGW

#81  Postby Fallible » Apr 24, 2018 5:44 am

Of course you bloody do. You're not getting what SAM is saying though.
She battled through in every kind of tribulation,
She revelled in adventure and imagination.
She never listened to no hater, liar,
Breaking boundaries and chasing fire.
Oh, my my! Oh my, she flies!
Fallible
RS Donator

Name: Alice Pooper
Female

Canada (ca)
Print view this post

#82  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 24, 2018 6:04 am

KIR etal wrote:Approximately eighteen months ago a couple of Jehovah's Witnesses knocked on my door: one woman in her twenties and one man in his forties. We engaged in a conversation which flipped around for a while and then I said, roughly: "one of my problems with some people's take on Christianity is that they tend to dismiss science a lot of the time. A good example of this is denying the reality of man-made global warming, about which the scientific community is pretty well unanimous. These so called Christians then make no attempt to help with that problem." The male Jehovah's Witness then replied: “That's the beauty of it: we haven't got to worry about that kind of thing because God will take care of it!”

Although of course this is not a Jehovah's Witness congregation it is apparent that the same problem exists across all denominations of Christianity, as seen most clearly in the US Republican Party's withdrawal from the Paris Climate Change Accord. Incidentally, the USA is the only country in the world to have withdrawn from that treaty. Donald Trump and his party are, of course, overwhelmingly deeply Christian, Christian in name anyway, even reinstating weekly Bible study groups in the White House for the President and his senior staff for the first time since the colonial era. Protestant Christianity is the dominant Christian flavour in the US, not Jehovah's Witness.

I believe these so called Christians, who sit idly by smiling at the sky without a care in the world thinking they can just recline and relax in God's arms, are in error. What disappointing creatures we would be to God if we didn't try to do right by our fellow humans and, indeed, animals and the planet as a whole. I think it's pretty obvious how Jesus would lead by example on this issue, as with any other, tirelessly and selflessly labouring to alleviate the suffering of others and basically attempting to improve the situation in general. Who could possibly say that Jesus was lazy. 99.9% of the time we know the right thing to do without even having to think, as the Holy Spirit guides us, and that guidance need be followed at all times unless we are to be burdened with feelings of guilt and remorse, let alone any divine retribution which may strike like lightning if we do not follow the moral compass.

Man-made climate change, also known as anthropogenic global warming (AGW for short), is one of the two most terrifyingly powerful threats to the wellbeing of mankind according to the late great Professor Stephen Hawking, as he wrote shortly before his passing. The other threat he identified is strong artificial intelligence, but that's off topic. Personally, a part of me would like to own a car and fly around visiting foreign countries, but the carbon emissions from such transport methods just don't sit well with me. Jet air plane travel, which dumps huge amounts of damaging emissions straight into the upper atmosphere is particularly damaging, as my university environmental economics professor taught us. The carbon emissions resulting from the manufacturing processes necessary in order to make cars and planes in the first place are also very substantial and damaging.

As some of you may know, I am technically an atheist although I see many very fine and praiseworthy things in Christianity which is part of the reason that Sarah, Dave and their colleagues make me feel so welcome here, I think. There is no reason to think that atheists are the only people who should act to counter the spectre of man-made climate change however. In fact, nothing could or should be further from the truth if the example of Jesus is followed accurately as decent Christians know him. Thanks for listening, there are printouts of this text available in the lobby. Feel free to take as many copies as you like. In fact, the more the better! Please duplicate and spread this document around as much as possible. Internet?

Red - better?
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#83  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 24, 2018 8:41 am

Keep It Real wrote:Cherry picking the term is for what you're advocating SAM I believe and fuck that approach basically. There it is.

Yeah, you should shit-can the whole project, KIR, because cherry-picking is exactly what you are up to, also. Jesus promised apocalypse, too. You can construct any argument you like from religious literature, and the notion of using words spoken by characters in bible stories to illustrate an unambiguous point is absurd. Various Christian denominations promote an image of political solidarity with one another, but they disagree strongly with each other on the minutiae you're bringing into the mix.

To underscore the point, you're using an anecdote about some JWs you allegedly encountered to speak to Christians who aren't JWs. The reason you like these people is that they make you feel welcome, and that's your strongest talking point with them. The best reason to act against AGW is because people like hanging out with other people they like, and not because the human project has the kind of grander meaning, such as stewardship, that decent religious people arbitrarily give it. For all these professions of caritas, people are still having fucktons of screaming kids who are going to shit into the same ocean as their parents.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#84  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 24, 2018 9:00 am

My primary friends at my primary church are two transexuals and the delightful Abs who is on the brink of blindness. Atheists one and all.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#85  Postby Cito di Pense » Apr 24, 2018 9:36 am

Keep It Real wrote:My primary friends at my primary church are two transexuals and the delightful Abs who is on the brink of blindness. Atheists one and all.

Atheism is not all that significant a label except as a tool to avoid talking certain kinds of nonsense about imaginary entities. Humanism is likewise a means of generating nonsense, because human significance is an imaginary entity also, although it is artificial instead of just being a childish placeholder for the unknown. Christianity is a humanist project first and foremost, and the deity is just there so you can pretend it's in someone else's hands. That's not to say you should not take that ball and run with it toward whatever goal you think you can score into. Getting your humanist dicta from Jesus is no worse than inventing them yourself, and you can still wave around your atheist badge with pride as long as you don't start believing somebody's watching us to see whether or not we screw up. That need not be god, exactly; just some humanist authority who knows the right thing to do.
Хлопнут без некролога. -- Серге́й Па́влович Королёв

Translation by Elbert Hubbard: Do not take life too seriously. You're not going to get out of it alive.
Cito di Pense

Name: Amir Bagatelle
Male

Ukraine (ua)
Print view this post

#86  Postby SafeAsMilk » Apr 24, 2018 3:03 pm

Keep It Real wrote:All Christians think the same regarding the central issue from which the (hopefully) strength of the doc is derived. That is that Jesus was a good and decent person. The bible, whichever version, and The Pope's proclamations attempt to echo that sentiment first and foremost. Biblical passages are constantly being re-interpreted so as to fit with that which is perceived to be a good/decent person. It really doesn't matter what the bible says Jesus literally said to enlightened Christians IMO any more than it matters if they wear nylon/woll mix clothing items. Cherry picking the term is for what you're advocating SAM I believe and fuck that approach basically. There it is.

Whatever. Have fun trying to bullshit your congregation.
"They call it the American dream, because you have to be asleep to believe it." -- George Carlin
SafeAsMilk

Name: Makes Fails
Male

United States (us)
Print view this post

#87  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 24, 2018 4:52 pm

Did Gloucester today - dropped around 25 copies in churches and a few other locations, speaking to staff where available about it. A friar in the Cathedral read it then and there at my request and said it was very interesting. He then told me he is the editor of the local parish newsletter and will publish at least some of the doc in the next edition. Which is nice.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#88  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 24, 2018 7:16 pm

The good friar and I are now in email dialogue - and it's a magazine - not a newsletter.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#89  Postby TopCat » Apr 24, 2018 8:42 pm

Keep It Real wrote:The good friar and I are now in email dialogue.

Let's hope you remain in frequent and extended contact with him.
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#90  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 24, 2018 8:49 pm

Agreed fully. If I do fuck it up however, perhaps there'll be another opportunity.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#91  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 24, 2018 9:36 pm

And also thank you for thinking me decent.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#92  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 24, 2018 9:46 pm

"another psychic in our midst" - aimed at me lol
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#93  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 25, 2018 7:06 am

TopCat wrote:
Keep It Real wrote:The good friar and I are now in email dialogue.

Let's hope you remain in frequent and extended contact with him.

I just sent him an altered final paragraph which will hopefully have wider reach and go down better:

As some of you may know, I am technically largely an atheist although I see many very fine and praiseworthy things in Christianity which is part of the reason that I am generally made to feel so welcome in most churches, I think. There is no reason to believe that atheists are the only people who should act to counter the spectre of man-made climate change however. In fact, nothing could or should be further from the truth if the example of Jesus is followed accurately, as most Christians know him.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#94  Postby TopCat » Apr 25, 2018 12:05 pm

Keep It Real wrote:And also thank you for thinking me decent.

Please don't imagine that you know what I think.
TopCat

Male

United Kingdom (uk)
Print view this post

#95  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 25, 2018 8:28 pm

Quite, however the "good" friar is yet to respond.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#96  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 25, 2018 8:43 pm

I tried all day today to relax but failed miserably - at least I wasn't going completely fucking apeshit at imaginary schoolfriends in my mind though :straws gripped:
Last edited by Keep It Real on Apr 26, 2018 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

#97  Postby Chris Putnam » Apr 25, 2018 10:07 pm

If you have 22 mins. to listen to a message from a prominent evangelical leader in the US, this would probably represent a good percentage of fundamentalist Christians. If the link does not work go to youtube and look up John Macarthur "global warming and environmentalism". I know lots of Christians and they have no fear of global warming. They see it as nonsense, unscientific, and an insincere grab for power. No stress at all. Give in a listen and see what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXnwB97fBj8
Chris Putnam

Name: Chris Putnam

United States (us)
Print view this post

#98  Postby Sendraks » Apr 26, 2018 8:24 am

Chris Putnam wrote: I know lots of Christians and they have no fear of global warming. They see it as nonsense, unscientific, and an insincere grab for power. No stress at all. Give in a listen and see what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXnwB97fBj8

They're classic denialists. Nothing new or interesting here.
Last edited by Sendraks on Apr 26, 2018 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion." - Arthur C Clarke

"'Science doesn't know everything' - Well science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it'd stop" - Dara O'Brian
Sendraks

Name: D-Money Jr
Male

Print view this post

#99  Postby Macdoc » Apr 26, 2018 10:47 am

They see it as nonsense, unscientific, and an insincere grab for power

and that's how you see it? :coffee:
Travel photos > https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries
EO Wilson in On Human Nature wrote:
We are not compelled to believe in biological uniformity in order to affirm human freedom and dignity.
Macdoc

Male

Australia (au)
Print view this post

#100  Postby Keep It Real » Apr 27, 2018 6:17 am

I actually tried to leave the country yesterday because of this. Thankfully I changed my mind in the nick of time. Got pretty far. Lost my phone and spent nearly all my money. Trauma. Narcissistic delusions of grandeur struck again clearly. :crazy: :(
Dinosaurs = atheism
Keep It Real
Banned User

Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Christianity